5thGenRams Forums

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Weird whistling noise after I turn the truck off

Boone Down South

Reaction score
On my 2021 Ram Rebel 1500 V8 I have this weird thing going on. It doesn't do it all the time but every now and then after I turn the vehicle off you hear this weird kind of whistle inside the cab. Like you turn it off everything goes quite, you get out and as you are about to shut the door you hear this whistle that goes for about 2 seconds. And when I first heard it I though it was coming from somewhere else, but it has done it a number of times now. It will will whistle like twice and then maybe another 5 or 6 seconds of silence followed by another whistle kind of noise. It is the weirdest thing. Anyone else have this issue?

79 300

Reaction score
Mine does this when I had the AC on- I think it is just the system shutting down and re-setting. It has never caused a problem in the 2 and a half years I had the truck (bought it new). The truck is my daily driver and has 17000 miles.

I read posts on here in the past about guys trying to get this same problem "fixed" by dealers, claiming it is a leak, or low freon, or a bad evaporator or whatever, only to have more problems like no AC at all after the dealer's repair, waiting for weeks for backordered parts, etc. and the noise still came back. I believe it is normal and would leave it alone.

Boone Down South

Reaction score
So I captured this on video today when I pulled in from work. So I turned off the truck, got out and as I was getting something out from the back door, it started doing it. By the time I got my phone ready to record it it stopped. So I started recording anyway and about 20 seconds later I caught some of it on the phone recording. The first time it did it was louder than what I caught on the phone so you might have to turn up the volume when you listen to this clip. So anyway I got the recording, grabbed what I needed in the back, shut the back door and started walking back to the house and as I was walking back I could hear it do this one more time. It's crazy! Is this what you hear?

Floyd

Reaction score
Couldn't watch the video right now, but sounds like a balloon squealing as you let air out? AC expansion valve was my fix.

Attachments

• Screenshot_20210611-203508_Adobe Acrobat.jpg
    Screenshot_20210611-203508_Adobe Acrobat.jpg
    89 KB · Views: 211

Boone Down South

Reaction score
Couldn't watch the video right now, but sounds like a balloon squealing as you let air out? AC expansion valve was my fix.
Floyd - yes that is how it sounds. I couldn't think how to describe it but yes that is exactly how it sounds.

Bambohunter

Reaction score
Mine does the same thing.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Floyd

Reaction score
See my post above with screen shot of the repair done.

Replacing the ac expansion valve worked for nine.

Boone Down South

Reaction score
I am about due for second oil change and tire rotation so I am going to schedule this and have them take a look this problem using Floyd's info in the next week or so. I also have tailgate sensor that frequently tells me it is open when it is not and a rear speaker that does not put out any volume. So I'll let you know what they say.

INVISBLE

Reaction score
Mine does it now that they changed out the entire inside airbox, module and wiring harness due to the TSB for the air conditioning. So now it seems I have inherited a 2021 problem in my 2020 truck thanks to the new parts. Well I dont care as long as my **** stays cold!

Fatherof3

Spends too much time on here
Reaction score
I am about due for second oil change and tire rotation so I am going to schedule this and have them take a look this problem using Floyd's info in the next week or so. I also have tailgate sensor that frequently tells me it is open when it is not and a rear speaker that does not put out any volume. So I'll let you know what they say.
I don’t have an answer for the speaker but the tailgate seems to be fixed by opening and slamming shut about 10 times in a row .

Boone Down South

Reaction score
So got my truck back today from the dealer. What a headache it was. I had an appt for 8am on Tues and I told them I wanted to talk to whoever before they touched the AC evaporator. Anyway, come 4pm I haven't heard so I call in and they were like well we haven't called you because your truck hasn't made it into the shop yet. I'm like so how does that happen when I have an 8am appt???? I get lame excuse whatever.. So next day goes into shop, i get a call, we talk about it and he said the AC evaporator was a simple swap with very little chance of any negative impact, and I had him review the STAR case that @Floyd shared with us -BTW.. Thank you again @Floyd! Anyway, they called last night said it was ready and I said ok so everything is done, even the oil change and tire rotation .. yes.. I get there this morning and she started going over everything that was done with me and I'm like cool and walk out. Then I'm looking at the paperwork and I don't see oil change and tire rotation. So I go back in and she can't find paperwork on that and then comes back and tells me yea i think they forgot, but I can get it done in an hour. I pull the truck around and then I see the oil sticker was updated so I guess they did it. So I head out and then look at the sticker and it says replace in 3k miles.. I have already paid on a full synthetic oil change and tire rotation plan so this wasn't right so I turn around and go back. She is all happy because she found the oil change paperwork by then. So I said is that full synthetic showing on the paperwork and she says no. I said yea I thought not cause the sticker says to change in 3k but last time it said 6k so I figured they did it wrong. And then she says oh they probably used the right oil but put the wrong sticker on. I'm like didn't you just tell me the part # on the paperwork was not synthetic oil? Oh yea.. do you want me to drain it and put the full synth in? duh???

Anyway, we will see if the fix works but i will say over time it has done it less and less on the whistling noise.
As far as the tailgate, they said one side of the tailgate latch was not aligned properly and they had to re-adjust.
Anyway, AC was running nice and cold on the way home so time will tell.

My1stHemi

Reaction score
So got my truck back today from the dealer. What a headache it was. I had an appt for 8am on Tues and I told them I wanted to talk to whoever before they touched the AC evaporator. Anyway, come 4pm I haven't heard so I call in and they were like well we haven't called you because your truck hasn't made it into the shop yet. I'm like so how does that happen when I have an 8am appt???? I get lame excuse whatever.. So next day goes into shop, i get a call, we talk about it and he said the AC evaporator was a simple swap with very little chance of any negative impact, and I had him review the STAR case that @Floyd shared with us -BTW.. Thank you again @Floyd! Anyway, they called last night said it was ready and I said ok so everything is done, even the oil change and tire rotation .. yes.. I get there this morning and she started going over everything that was done with me and I'm like cool and walk out. Then I'm looking at the paperwork and I don't see oil change and tire rotation. So I go back in and she can't find paperwork on that and then comes back and tells me yea i think they forgot, but I can get it done in an hour. I pull the truck around and then I see the oil sticker was updated so I guess they did it. So I head out and then look at the sticker and it says replace in 3k miles.. I have already paid on a full synthetic oil change and tire rotation plan so this wasn't right so I turn around and go back. She is all happy because she found the oil change paperwork by then. So I said is that full synthetic showing on the paperwork and she says no. I said yea I thought not cause the sticker says to change in 3k but last time it said 6k so I figured they did it wrong. And then she says oh they probably used the right oil but put the wrong sticker on. I'm like didn't you just tell me the part # on the paperwork was not synthetic oil? Oh yea.. do you want me to drain it and put the full synth in? duh???

Anyway, we will see if the fix works but i will say over time it has done it less and less on the whistling noise.
As far as the tailgate, they said one side of the tailgate latch was not aligned properly and they had to re-adjust.
Anyway, AC was running nice and cold on the way home so time will tell.
Did it solve your problem? I'd like to get mine fixed if this is the solution.

jsolup

Reaction score
So I captured this on video today when I pulled in from work. So I turned off the truck, got out and as I was getting something out from the back door, it started doing it. By the time I got my phone ready to record it it stopped. So I started recording anyway and about 20 seconds later I caught some of it on the phone recording. The first time it did it was louder than what I caught on the phone so you might have to turn up the volume when you listen to this clip. So anyway I got the recording, grabbed what I needed in the back, shut the back door and started walking back to the house and as I was walking back I could hear it do this one more time. It's crazy! Is this what you hear?
I have a 2021 Big Horn and it does the same thing, also sometimes my entertainment system freezes up, after i shut it off and wait a few mins, it goes back to normal...but that sound has been happening since i bought it in 2021

Cschaub79

Reaction score
Mine does the exact same whistle. So.etimes it's immediately after I shut of my truck, sometimes it takes up to 2 minutes before it does it. And it varies in pitch and length. Sometimes it's a solid high pitched squell, sometimes it starts. Stops, then a long squeeze, then stops. I've also had nothing but problems with my display screen. They replaced it once this last January, it started cutting in and out again beginning of April. Now it randomly will go black and just stay off, or it is like a strobe light and keeps flickering on and off. The dealership that I bought it from has done nothing but give me the run around. Saying they are going to charge me for the diagnostic, even though it's the same problem they supposedly just fixed. I have been dealing with both issues and still getting no where with them.
I have a 2019 Laramie 1500

Users who are viewing this thread