5thGenRams Forums

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Weird ticking sound

ccm2001

Reaction score
Just started to hear it today, it starts after she warms up for about 3 minutes.
sounds like a lifter but its coming from the lower end and from the passenger side it seems.
everyone keeps pointing the finger to the Manifold or Manifold bolt.
doesn't that sound more like a spudder not a tick?

trucks has no performance issues.

ticking will still be there while its warm but very faint.
always 5w20 syn with mopar filter

any ideas?
2020 bighorn regular 5.7
20,000km on the dash

thanks

Last edited:

Fatherof3

Spends too much time on here
Reaction score
The manifold usually ticks until it warms up . If it’s coming from the top end it could be the lifters .

ReLLIK75

Reaction score
Just started to hear it today, it starts after she warms up for about 3 minutes.
sounds like a lifter but its coming from the lower end and from the passenger side it seems.
everyone keeps pointing the finger to the Manifold or Manifold bolt.
doesn't that sound more like a spudder not a tick?

trucks has no performance issues.

ticking will still be there while its warm but very faint.
always 5w20 syn with mopar filter

any ideas?
2020 bighorn regular 5.7
20,000km on the dash

thanks
I had this and just had it fixed by the dealer under warranty. It was definitely a cracked manifold AND busted bolts. No more tick. The engine sounds like it did when I first took it home. Interesting, the sound of the MDS kicking in with my Borla exhaust is even less pronounced now. Before, with the crack, the MDS engaging/disengaging was quite noticeable. It's still there, but significantly less pronounced.

ccm2001

Reaction score
hoping it is, i just did a oil change at 2k with some Mobile 1 and had a magnet under the oil stream, No shaving or nothing so im hoping its the Manifold bolts. But every video i hear it sounds diffrent almost like a Spudder of air escaping, this is more of a metallic ticking randomly
I had this and just had it fixed by the dealer under warranty. It was definitely a cracked manifold AND busted bolts. No more tick. The engine sounds like it did when I first took it home. Interesting, the sound of the MDS kicking in with my Borla exhaust is even less pronounced now. Before, with the crack, the MDS engaging/disengaging was quite noticeable. It's still there, but significantly less pronounced

ccm2001

Reaction score
Well i had a feeling something internally was wrong. dealer said sounded normal. im not going down the road and being stradned
it was good while it lasted
2020 big horn with less then 20,000km herd a bad knocking on the bottom end
from back window constantly leaking, to the Sirius radio never working, to the weird grinding on cold starts
was not worth the headache.

i traded it in and got full value for my truck for what i paid over a year ago.

goodluck everyone with there rams.

Fatherof3

Spends too much time on here
Reaction score
Well i had a feeling something internally was wrong. dealer said sounded normal. im not going down the road and being stradned
it was good while it lasted
2020 big horn with less then 20,000km herd a bad knocking on the bottom end
from back window constantly leaking, to the Sirius radio never working, to the weird grinding on cold starts
was not worth the headache.

i traded it in and got full value for my truck for what i paid over a year ago.

goodluck everyone with there rams.
Are you getting something to replace it ?

Users who are viewing this thread