5thGenRams Forums

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Weird sound effects (Active Noise Control?)

Konrad

Reaction score
Boy, this truck surely has an interesting soundboard. Aside from all the clacking, whining and chirping when cold (which, by the way, my dealer says are normal) today during acceleration I experienced something that I can only describe as low, really loud "wwwwooooooooOOOOOOOOooooooo"... starting at about 900rpm and fading way around 1100, and then starting again at 1900 and going away at 2100. The "OOOOOOO" part is when everything in the truck was literally vibrating, like if a really big subwoofer was firing at 20-30Hz. Speed-independent, it was there even when the truck was stopped and revving in neutral.

The whole thing sounded very "artificial"- for the lack of better word - and I don't think it originated in the powertrain. Also, after I stopped for gas and restarted the truck, the sound effect was gone.

Does this sound similar to the issues with the ANC system some folks on the forum are describing?

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Reaction score
Someone else had a really good idea for another noise issue I had. If you think it's the ANC, just unplug the amp and drive a bit to see if the noise is still there. There's another posting on here to outline disabling the ANC by unplugging specific wires but before you do that, i'd suggest just unplugging the entire set of wires and take it for a drive. The amp is under the driver's seat and if you're looking at it from the rear, the ANC wires (among other wires) is the first plug from the rear. If you do a search on the forum i'm sure you'll run across the pics that people have posted.

Samson75

Reaction score
When I have the wipers on around 105 Kph there is a ridiculous swishing sound that is clearly the ANC!!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Mr. Hindsight

Reaction score
I too have noticed some weird exterior noises with my ‘20 Bighorn. I can’t explain how these noises sound really but every time I remote start it, it sounds like the front led lights are waking up or adjusting just before starting. Also, after parking the truck I hear a weird motorized sound from the rear most of the time. If I had to guess, I’d say it’s the electric parking brake doing something. But I never use that so I’m not sure why it would make any noise unless it’s a self check. Maybe I should try to get a video at some point.

Users who are viewing this thread