5thGenRams Forums

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Weird low pitch sound and vibrating

Scram1500

Spends too much time on here
Reaction score
Interesting. My Big Horn with the 3.6L does the same thing at 2000 RPM. Pedals, wheel, floor, seat, all buzz/vibrate. Is it the exhaust? My dealer says it’s a characteristic of the vehicle, but it doesn’t seem like it should be normal...
Does not sound normal to me, could be a heat shield with the buzzing. The V6 models do not have ANC

greg106717

Reaction score
Interesting. My Big Horn with the 3.6L does the same thing at 2000 RPM. Pedals, wheel, floor, seat, all buzz/vibrate. Is it the exhaust? My dealer says it’s a characteristic of the vehicle, but it doesn’t seem like it should be normal...
I finally took mine to a dealer and had mechanic ride with me that agreed, my vibration is not right. Mine does it as long as the rpm is in the 1250 to 1750 rpm range no matter what speed your doing as long as the rpm's are in that range..Have an appount on 15th to turn it in and the mech that road with me will be the one working on it, see where we go from here...

greg106717

Reaction score
I was under the impression that the only time the engine goes from 8 to 4 cylinders is at freeway speeds, but found it does it everytime you reach your appropiate cruise speeds wether its 50 or 70, or even 30. So Thats where vibration comes into play , when engine changes to 4 cyl, either the engine or a component is out of balance, and when you have excessive vibrataion, it leads to other components failing faster then usual.

Reaction score
I have a Ram that has a low hum and vibration that started a few weeks after I purchased the vehicle. I can feel the vibration in the pedals, steering wheel, plus the cab interior vibrates. The conditions have steadily increased in volume throughout the year. The sound and vibration oscillates on and off at 20 second intervals and I hear it most when I cruising between 30 and 50 MPH and on level or slightly downhill roads. I've recorded the sound using my iPhone. It appears to be coming from the front right area. It is impossible to repeat or manipulate or produce for the dealer (which they stated no trouble found when I brought it in for service). Then today the sound and vibration worsened with the added problem of an annoying oil drip on my new garage floor (right-front behind the front cross member of the frame. When I inspected the area, I see blow-back oil stains on the frame and around a round electro-mechanical device with four heavy wire connectors (see images attached). I cannot find the name or description for the part on the web. I think the sound is originating here, but that's a guess.

I have since identified the part - it is the Power Steering EPS Gear (the oil is leaking around the front of the housing)

2019 Ram 1500 4X4 Bighorn Crew Cab
5.7 Liter 3.92 Anti Spin 4x4
Build Date 10/2018

Attachments

• IMG_5272.JPG
    IMG_5272.JPG
    168.1 KB · Views: 21
  • IMG_5273.JPG
    IMG_5273.JPG
    187.1 KB · Views: 21
  • IMG_5281.JPG
    IMG_5281.JPG
    157.1 KB · Views: 22
  • IMG_5287.JPG
    IMG_5287.JPG
    122.9 KB · Views: 20
  • IMG_5291.jpg
    IMG_5291.jpg
    177.4 KB · Views: 19
Last edited:

Scram1500

Spends too much time on here
Reaction score
I have a Ram that has a low hum and vibration that started a few weeks after I purchased the vehicle. I can feel the vibration in the pedals, steering wheel, plus the cab interior vibrates. The conditions have steadily increased in volume throughout the year. The sound and vibration oscillates on and off at 20 second intervals and I hear it most when I cruising between 30 and 50 MPH and on level or slightly downhill roads. I've recorded the sound using my iPhone. It appears to be coming from the front right area. It is impossible to repeat or manipulate or produce for the dealer (which they stated no trouble found when I brought it in for service). Then today the sound and vibration worsened with the added problem of an annoying oil drip on my new garage floor (right-front behind the front cross member of the frame. When I inspected the area, I see blow-back oil stains on the frame and around a round electro-mechanical device with four heavy wire connectors (see images attached). I cannot find the name or description for the part on the web. I think the sound is originating here, but that's a guess.
That looks like motor oil, could be from a loose filter which is right above the steering rack and differential. The part covered in oil is the steering rack. Have you tried rotating the tires to see if the vibration moves to the rear?

Tinstar5541

Reaction score
I just bought my 2019 ram 1500 from a friend and have been playing with it to see what it could do. I cycled through the 4wd options and went back to 2wd. Shortly after that, I started hearing a vibration and hum that would come and go. Having driven this truck a few days prior, this was a new thing. I immediately believe it was due to the changing of the drive options. It has since stopped after re-cycling through those drive options.

For those with these same issues, did it start out of the blue or had you changed the drive options prior to that sojnd/vibration?

Sent from my SM-N950U1 using Tapatalk

moosem

Ram Guru
Reaction score
It was random for me. I had the ANC Module updated to the latest rev and it never happened again. That was over 2 years ago. It’s worth asking your dealer if there are any updates for the ANC available.

Reaction score
I just bought my 2019 ram 1500 from a friend and have been playing with it to see what it could do. I cycled through the 4wd options and went back to 2wd. Shortly after that, I started hearing a vibration and hum that would come and go. Having driven this truck a few days prior, this was a new thing. I immediately believe it was due to the changing of the drive options. It has since stopped after re-cycling through those drive options.

For those with these same issues, did it start out of the blue or had you changed the drive options prior to that sojnd/vibration?

Sent from my SM-N950U1 using Tapatalk
The issue is random and out of the blue. The noise stays for about 10-12 seconds, then off for about 8-10 seconds before repeating.

Reaction score
That looks like motor oil, could be from a loose filter which is right above the steering rack and differential. The part covered in oil is the steering rack. Have you tried rotating the tires to see if the vibration moves to the rear?
It isn't the tires (they've been rotated twice) and it's definitely coming from the front end. Regarding the oil, it is coming out of the EPS Gear box (power steering). It's leaking all around the front seal and leaving dollar-sized puddles every time I park. The frame and undercarriage is sprayed with oil stains just behind the EPS unit. Tight turns are causing a grinding noise now (have an appointment scheduled and not driving the truck until it's checked out).

kapinallinen2

5thGenRams Supporter
Site Supporter
Reaction score
That oil on the steering rack is from the engine.
Either a leak from an improperly tightened filter or just from a sloppy cleanup after oil and filter change.

The rumble... just for grins, drive in reverse for 25 to 50 feet steering left and right just in case the drive-line is not releasing the front axle.
edit: in case the front axles are staying connected spinning the differential.

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread