5thGenRams Forums

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Weird engine/exhaust noise, acceleration

TangoFoxtrot

Reaction score
Hi everyone, I recently purchased a used 2019 5.7 bighorn. I had a flowmaster series 40 Delta installed, resonators deleted and the exhaust sounds great. But about 2 weeks after the install, I have had few instances where when the truck starts up and the exhaust tone doesn't sound right. Its a higher rev sound almost more like a v6. When this happens the exhaust will remain sounding like this until I shutoff and restart the truck. I do not have any CEL and have checked for codes with no issues. The engine does in fact feel weaker or somewhat sluggish when I hear the exhaust operating like this. I have tried enabling to/haul and gear limit to override the MDS in case it was not functioning properly, and I do not have any change after the switch. If I leave MDS active I can still hear/feel when the cylinders deactivate, but even then it sounds odd.
I will be taking the truck to the dealer since its under warranty and I do hear some tapping/ticking in the engine bay , could be related.The truck never runs rough or feels like it is misfiring, its is the oddest thing. Has anyone experience something similar? Could it just be the way the exhaust flows through the delta series muffler, maybe sometimes it gets in an odd pressurization or something? I'd like to think its my imagination but it is very annoying, sounds like the truck is buzzing down the road instead of the usual low rumble.

Thanks

Fatherof3

Spends too much time on here
Reaction score
Welcome , I haven’t experienced anything like that on any of my 3 Rams but please keep us posted on what the dealer says .

TangoFoxtrot

Reaction score
Welcome , I haven’t experienced anything like that on any of my 3 Rams but please keep us posted on what the dealer says .
Thanks, I sure will. I'm honestly wondering if its a stuck exhaust valve or something odd, but you'd think I'd have a CEL light or code pop up. Dealership is swamped so who knows how long it will take. They estimate 2-3 weeks for a loaner due to COVID unless they can diagnose a get a rental but still will take 1-2 days for that.

TangoFoxtrot

Reaction score
So little update, my salesman helped me out and got my truck looked at today. The ticking sound was deemed normal. They couldn't replicate the problem but found a TCM and PCM update, so they did that. Also found an update for my radio, hopefully that fixes the radio glitch. They still have no fix for the malfunctioning compass, said they are still waiting on something from Ram on that.
Truck drove fine coming home, couldn't tell any real difference yet, I'll need some more time behind the wheel.

Users who are viewing this thread