5thGenRams Forums

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Weird Brake Issue

Mjr05

Reaction score
I’ve only had my 2021 Rebel for several weeks (about 700 miles) and it did the strangest thing today. I was in traffic going through a green light when all the sudden the accelerator stopped responding and the dash was giving me some message about the brake. I didn’t fully read the message cause I was sitting in an intersection and afraid I was going to get hit. I wound up turning the car off and quickly restarting. Anyone have any idea why this would happen? I’m thinking it is some how related to the collision braking, but no idea what caused this to happen?

Goatmann

Ram Guru
Reaction score
You may have the forward collision set. there are three levels of sensitivity. I have mine set to alert only, no automatic braking enabled. Check your owners manual for more detailed operation instructions.

Mjr05

Reaction score
You may have the forward collision set. there are three levels of sensitivity. I have mine set to alert only, no automatic braking enabled. Check your owners manual for more detailed operation instructions.
Thanks, I have it set to low sensitivity. That’s only thing I can think of. It was just very strange and I couldn’t figure out how to go again. The truck was at a full stop and would not respond to accelerator at all. Very dangerous. I guess I’ll turn it off completely and hope it doesn’t happen again.

CaptainCJ35

Ram Guru
Reaction score
I had something similar happen to me after going thru a car wash. In may case, I think I didn't fully depress the brake before I shifted from neutral to drive. My car was then screaming at me that I needed to fully depress the brake, shift to park, then shift to drive.

It's some interaction with the trans shifter safety mechanism that automatically engages park when you shut the truck off, for example. Not sure why it happened while you were driving until you got a green light. For me it happened within 10 feet of the car wash. Your situation sounds scary.

Mjr05

Reaction score
I had something similar happen to me after going thru a car wash. In may case, I think I didn't fully depress the brake before I shifted from neutral to drive. My car was then screaming at me that I needed to fully depress the brake, shift to park, then shift to drive.

It's some interaction with the trans shifter safety mechanism that automatically engages park when you shut the truck off, for example. Not sure why it happened while you were driving until you got a green light. For me it happened within 10 feet of the car wash. Your situation sounds scary.
It was scary. I was a little panicked so I’m not exactly sure what it was telling me other than something about the brake.

CaptainCJ35

Ram Guru
Reaction score
In retrospect, I had something similar happen one time in our BMW 3-Series that also has a ZF 8-speed. I assume it's some safeguard to putting the vehicle inadvertently in gear like I mentioned. Hopefully it's a one time occurrence. It has been for me.

scottmoyer

Ram Guru
Reaction score
I set the forward collision warning to near so it doesn't alert me when cruising and the car in front of me slows to turn. I have the auto braking disabled for forward and reverse. If I could completely disable the FCW system without having a stupid warning light on my dash, I would do it in a heartbeat.

joker22

Reaction score
I live on the west coast so there is a dew build up everyday on, and in the trucks inner workings. I have 26,000 kms or roughly 16,000 miles in only 6 months. Every morning my brakes let out an extremely loud hum sound when coming to a crawl. It only does this on the first few initial stops. I get that it's moisture on the pads, but holy smokes is it loud, like wake the neighbourhood loud. It's also the only vehicle I've had to ever do this. Anyone have this issue, and if so what have you done? The dealership was very disinterested in helping me out in any capacity.

Airbearmd

Reaction score
I’ve only had my 2021 Rebel for several weeks (about 700 miles) and it did the strangest thing today. I was in traffic going through a green light when all the sudden the accelerator stopped responding and the dash was giving me some message about the brake. I didn’t fully read the message cause I was sitting in an intersection and afraid I was going to get hit. I wound up turning the car off and quickly restarting. Anyone have any idea why this would happen? I’m thinking it is some how related to the collision braking, but no idea what caused this to happen?
Just posted a thread with the same problem. I have a 2019 Limited and in traffic during a rain storm the red screen came on BRAKE and slammed on the brakes with no good reason to do so. By the grace of God no one hit me in the rear. It kept happening until I could pull over and turn truck off/on.

Seems to me this a hell of a liability for Chrysler, and they would want to get to the bottom of this.

Idahoktm

Spends too much time on here
Reaction score
Just posted a thread with the same problem. I have a 2019 Limited and in traffic during a rain storm the red screen came on BRAKE and slammed on the brakes with no good reason to do so. By the grace of God no one hit me in the rear. It kept happening until I could pull over and turn truck off/on.

Seems to me this a hell of a liability for Chrysler, and they would want to get to the bottom of this.
In your thread a few guys gave you an answer for what happened to you. It's not a Chrysler issue, it's a FCW system issue and it can be avoided by being aware of the systems limitations.

Your issue and the OP's issue are not the same.

Users who are viewing this thread