5thGenRams Forums

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Weird AC issue

RedRaider91

Reaction score
This is a strange one. I recently changed my cabin air filter and now my AC is not blowing as hard as it was before the change.

The air is still ice cold and coming out of all vents, but I have to have it on speed 7 to cool the truck down. 1-3 speeds basically no air comes out at all. I’ve messed with all the settings and nothing has changed. FWIW I did use a HEPA filter but I can’t imagine that being the issue.

Any ideas?
Ethan

Darksteel165

Legendary member
Reaction score
Put in the filter backwards?

You can run the truck with no filter in, move it in and out while it's on and see what happens.

I found the K&N filter allowed more airflow and thus a stronger wind, without any filter was even better.

RedRaider91

Reaction score
I checked to see if I accidentally put it in upside down already. I’ll pull it out and test the air flow with no filter and see what happens

U

User_3336

Maybe? Maybe the HEPA filters more because it’s thicker and let’s less air flow though?
Its just like you put those big thick 3M filters in your a/c unit at home, it blows out less air. A/C person locally said it stresses the system.
I really don't see the need for a HEPA filter in a truck. I think its just a $$$$cow.

Darksteel165

Legendary member
Reaction score
Takes 30 seconds to take it out. Just rip it out and see how it flows, insert it (don't even put the cap back on) and see what happens.

Unless you live in a nuclear wasteland having any filter to block actual objects like mice and sand is more then enough for a cabin air filter. No point in a HEPA filter, these trucks are not closed environments.

theblet

Legendary member
Reaction score
It’s probably the new filter restricting air. Take it out and try it. Never use a hepa filter, way to restrictive

RedRaider91

Reaction score
Hey guys sorry it took me so long to reply back.

Absolutely just a HEPA filter problem. Changed it out for a regular filter and air flow is normal now. I bought a HEPA because that’s all oriellys had at the time. Wouldn’t recommend.

Thanks for all the answers

U

User_3336

Hey guys sorry it took me so long to reply back.

Absolutely just a HEPA filter problem. Changed it out for a regular filter and air flow is normal now. I bought a HEPA because that’s all oriellys had at the time. Wouldn’t recommend.

Thanks for all the answers
Now you know why a/c repair people dont suggest those thick filters in your home a/c unit.

RedRaider91

Reaction score
Now you know why a/c repair people dont suggest those thick filters in your home a/c unit.
No kidding. The difference in hand is noticeable. I don’t live in a nuclear wasteland but I do live in west Texas…and more specifically the flattest place on earth where 20mph wind is an average day. So the idea of a HEPA is pretty good, but not great in practice

Users who are viewing this thread