5thGenRams Forums

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Weird 12 inch screen issue.

Maxx102

Reaction score
I am not sure if anyone has experienced this or not, but this past weekend and two times since, my 12 inch screen has done this weird thing. I did a search but I couldn't figure out a useful term to search for.

On Saturday morning I started up my truck and put it into drive while the screen was booting up. After a while I noticed that my screen was all black except for the menu that pops up when you put the truck into reverse and the camera is in the upper portion of the screen and the lower portion has the camera, the seat and steering wheel heaters, and the rear view mirror auto dim function. It was like this for 10 minutes until I arrived at my destination. I had the radio on at the time and the only way I could see what was on was through the in dash display between the speedometer and the Tachometer.

When I returned to my truck, same thing happened again, but since I was talking and showing off my new truck, the display just turned back on showing all of the radio channels, AM/FM/SAT etc.

This has happened twice, but always seems to clear up on it's own.

Anyone experienced something similar?

Dfiveuu

Reaction score
Just backed out of the driveway with backup camera on. I had not turned on the radio/screen yet and when I put the truck in drive the screen went black...as it should. I pressed the power button and the screen won’t come on. I tried turning the truck off and back on as well as pressing the on button several times. I can see my climate control functions when I press them but all else is no visible. I bought the truck in February, I’ve got 5700 miles on it.

Dfiveuu

Reaction score
I just parked in the driveway. I left the truck running for a couple minutes, then put it in reverse. The backup camera came on. I put the truck in drive and then in park. I then pressed the on button and the screen came alive. Weird!

sep1006

Reaction score
I would try the re-boot with holding the 2 buttons down first. Seems to solve a lot of the u-connect screen problems. Did for me when my screen went black.

Dfiveuu

Reaction score
Thanks sep1006! This happened once before, right after I bought the truck. I wonder is this something that’s going to happen frequently? Is it common/uncommon amongst Ram owners? Is it specific to the 12” screen?

I appreciate you sharing the video with me! Thanks again!!

FastBlackRam

Reaction score
I would try the re-boot with holding the 2 buttons down first. Seems to solve a lot of the u-connect screen problems. Did for me when my screen went black.

What two buttons do you hold down to reboot? Never heard of this.

LaxDfns15

Ram Guru
Reaction score
Give it more than half a second before you put the truck in reverse. I've had it happen, but only when I got in the truck, turned it on, then immediately went from start button to put the truck in reverse. Give the screen 5 seconds or so to boot up, and I haven't had it happen in over a year.

check4twenty

Reaction score
This is interesting. I tried the button reset on my 21 rebel with the 12 inch screen and it worked. What’s more interesting is the engineering screen he showed on the 8.4. I tried pushing different combinations of duel button presses, including the temp cool/hot buttons but no luck. I would love to find out if that engineering menu is accessible on the 12 inch and what may be in it…

Users who are viewing this thread