5thGenRams Forums

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Weight rating...

edehosse

Reaction score
Quick question on sidewalls. My last two sets of tires on my 2019 have been LT rated (10-ply), but I found a really good deal on a set of P rated tires. Any issue with switching to the thinner sidewall? Have others made this switch and noticed any handling issues (spongy feel).

I remember back in the day I switched from LT to P on a 1995 F-150, and the truck never felt the same. Back then though, there was a lot more sidewall compared to today (31" tires on 15" wheels).

Any thoughts on the subject are appreciated. TIA

Bt10

Ram Guru
Reaction score
I think I seen the OEM 22 inch tires were load index 113, so I'd stay above that at least. Technically, you could go down to load index 106 and be within the limits of the axle, but I would bet no one would like that sidewall flexibility and sway towing a trailer. Most tire dealers have no idea what those numbers mean, and will adamantly try to sell exactly what was on there, including Rebels with load range "E". Most people don't understand that ALL tires are rated at their full load and speed, and think that truck tires will handle a greater percentage of their rated load at speed than "P" tires. Someone will be along shortly to deny the load ratings of "P" tires. Good luck with the switch.

DEG

Ram Guru
Reaction score
I think most manufactures have abandoned the P vs LT designation on their tires in favor of the more meaningful load index. Also the number of plies isn't that meaningful either. One manufacture can produce a tire with fewer plies that handles more weight than another tire with more plies because the tire with fewer plies uses stronger materials for their plies.

The load index on my tires is 114 which will more than accommodate my GVWR of my truck a the maximum rated speed for the tire. Based on my GVWR and load index charts I would probably be safe with a tire with a load index as low as 101.

Users who are viewing this thread

Site Vendors

https://www.jasonlewisautomotive.com/