5thGenRams Forums

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Weight needed to balance new tires

Josh24

Reaction score
I recently had the Toyo AT3 285/55/22's installed and started getting vibration on the highway after a couple weeks. Took it back into discount tire to have them road force balanced and found that 3 of the 4 tires were out of balance and calling for more weight. Three of them now have about 3 oz in total with one having 6.5 oz. The vibration is gone and it rides good but was wondering what is normal in terms of weight on a tire of this size?

HSKR R/T

locally hated
Site Supporter
Reaction score
I recently had the Toyo AT3 285/55/22's installed and started getting vibration on the highway after a couple weeks. Took it back into discount tire to have them road force balanced and found that 3 of the 4 tires were out of balance and calling for more weight. Three of them now have about 3 oz in total with one having 6.5 oz. The vibration is gone and it rides good but was wondering what is normal in terms of weight on a tire of this size?
Yeah, kind of normal on the larger tires

Scap

Ram Guru
Reaction score
You could ask them to pull the weights, clock the tire 180* on the rim and rebalance on the off change you are experiencing tolerance stacking on the setup with the most weight attached.

Worth a shot to see if they can lower the weight required to get in balance.

kdoublep

Ram Guru
Reaction score
Not sure how much exactly, but I had the Pirellis road force balanced and have more weight than usual. I have 275/60 20.

Insanity

Reaction score
Once had a place mount and balance my 35" Micky Ts on my old big pig one rim had 8 full strips on it. 6.5 oz on large tires is not great but personally I would not chase 6.5oz. The wear and tear on the bead may lead to leaks in the future. Sure there is stuff to seal that up. I ended up going with balance beads later after seeing that. I liked the balance beads but probably won't ever use them in a wheel/tire with a tpms in it.

Josh24

Reaction score
Thanks for all the feedback. Not sure if it’s worth messing with or not since they are riding good. However since they are new I figured it might be best to bring in now vs down the road.

gHiDoRa

Ram Guru
Reaction score
You could ask them to pull the weights, clock the tire 180* on the rim and rebalance on the off change you are experiencing tolerance stacking on the setup with the most weight attached.

Worth a shot to see if they can lower the weight required to get in balance.

The new road force balance system should tell the tech to do so if needed and it will mark exactly the spot where the tire and rim need to turn to.

Scap

Ram Guru
Reaction score
The new road force balance system should tell the tech to do so if needed and it will mark exactly the spot where the tire and rim need to turn to.

That's cool. We didn't have that back in 92 when I was busting tires after school.

mike_ct

Ram Guru
Reaction score
if you get one under 4oz, you're doing good. 6 isn't that bad, if it balanced out, don't mess with it. its a heavy + wide tire.

Jake103

Reaction score
Those big wheels 20+ its not suprising they need more weight. That weight on there is not bad at all for a 22". When I was in the field I hated balancing 22+ wheels. They usually took quite a bit of weight no matter what you would do. If they had bigger tires as well that made it even worse. I wouldn't worry about it.

boogielander

Ram Guru
Reaction score
another thing to look for is when they mounted your tires make sure the yellow dot is aligned with your valve.
When they are aligned that's when you are at the most optimal position that requires the least amount of wheel weights.

I have 35x12.5R18 (granted, they 18s) but when I align the yellow dot to the valve 2 of my tires only needed 0.5oz of weight, and 2 needed like 1 or 1.5oz.
On one of my tires when I misalign it with the orange/ red dot, I ended up needing like 6oz or something ridiculous.

Tire techs should know and do this already, but sometimes they don't care because it's not their wheels/ tires/ vehicles, and they don't pay for the wheel weights.
I personally find it a challenge/ game for myself every time I mount tires to use the least amount of weights. Some tires don't even need wheel weights if mounted correctly and that's when I have those "ahhh sweet!" moments.

Users who are viewing this thread