5thGenRams Forums

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Weight Distribution Hitches

Jfrano

Reaction score
Are they needed to reduce sway, while towing a boat? I know with a Travel Trailer their highly recommended. Feed back from Loadmaster Trailers was that they impact surge break operation.
Thanks

Electrical

Ram Guru
Reaction score
Surely a good idea for anything of substantial weight, especially if it catches a lot of wind. I wonder how well the built-in sway-control function works.

WRH

Reaction score
My air bag instructions said you shouldn't use/don't need a weight distribution hitch with air bags. Now I get it makes the WD setup a bit more tricky... I wouldn't think you'd want to adjust the air bags after the WD hitch is set up. But I can't imagine air bags totally remove the need for a WD system... ? Mainly my air bags are for a heavy load and not towing, but still.

What's are thoughts on air bags and a WD system?

And I'd like more input on the anti sway... I have "Trailer Sway Damping." How do you enable/disable it?

devildodge

Staff member
Site Supporter
Reaction score
Trailer sway dampening is part of electronic stability control (ESC)

A 1500 truck needs WDH over 500lbs tongue and 5000 lbs trailer, it's inthe manual.

Why your airbags say no WDH is beyond me...but I would say it is wrong. Just my opinion.

Reaction score
Trailer sway dampening is part of electronic stability control (ESC)

A 1500 truck needs WDH over 500lbs tongue and 5000 lbs trailer, it's inthe manual.

Why your airbags say no WDH is beyond me...but I would say it is wrong. Just my opinion.

I agree... Sounds like either misinformation or miscommunication. Airbags or not, that front end is going to lift with weight on the rear.

Users who are viewing this thread