5thGenRams Forums

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Weathertech / Husky vs Gatorback?

jsteinm1

Reaction score
Looking to add some mud flaps to my truck, mostly for snow/salt and some gravel roads here and there. I'm planning to lift/level about 3" eventually. I really love the look of gatorback but not sure I can justify the price. Do they offer any more/better protection than something like weathertechs? Or mainly just looks?

Add pics if you want, doesn't seem to be all that many on the forums.

Kazoo

Reaction score
Love my Gatorbacks, just put them on the new truck today... Thick, heavy, easy install..

www.sharptruck.com 15% off right now I think...

SpeedyV

Ram Connoisseur
Staff member
Site Supporter
Reaction score
Looking to add some mud flaps to my truck, mostly for snow/salt and some gravel roads here and there. I'm planning to lift/level about 3" eventually. I really love the look of gatorback but not sure I can justify the price. Do they offer any more/better protection than something like weathertechs? Or mainly just looks?

Add pics if you want, doesn't seem to be all that many on the forums.
They’re longer, so they should offer better protection. I just prefer the look and material of the WeatherTechs.

One other thing to consider...if you go with a lift and oversized tires, you’ll need to double-check the fit of any of these.

yaksushi

Reaction score
I have the husky ones and got them for dirt cheap through the amazon scratch and dent warehouse deal. They look good but I still get mud and salt behind the tires.

RookieDDZ

Reaction score
I went with the WeatherTech. I have a Laramie with the extra fender trim and I like the look and fit better from what I saw from this forum. I believe the WT are an inch shorter than the Husky. Either one are great options

jkm312

Reaction score
I went the Gatorback route despite the expense, not sorry I did. They are a little wider and longer, gives a little more protection. I think they have some that will fit with wider tires and lifts, being a little longer still. Check on that yourself to make sure I'm correct in my thinking. They are thick and heavy, weighted at the bottom. If you back up to, or over something like a curb, they will flex a little because they are not completely rigid. I find that helpful for me and where I go with the truck sometimes. If they have a fault, besides the cost, they are hard to get really clean when you want to detail the truck. It will take a stiff bristle brush and a little effort because of the pattern that is etched in the flap. The install and fit is as good as it gets, no troubles at all. They are flat and don't have any pockets where they hold wet mud and sand against the truck fender.

Reaction score
I just installed the Weathertech mud flaps today and I'm liking them. I'm not a huge fan of mud flaps to begin with but these look great. They don't stand out like a sore thumb.

Now I just need to see how well they protect the truck. I'm interested in seeing if it helps with snow build up on the side steps, they extend put far enough to cover most of my side steps (7" wide steps). The other nice thing is, they cover the full width of my tread other than a little bit of the sidewalls on the back tires but that I'm not concerned about. I'll eventually end up getting fender flares down the road.

Another thing I need to watch for is rubbing. With the 35s they fronts come pretty close, still 4-5mm during normal turn on my driveway. They may rub if the truck is uneven on one side of the truck while turning but time will tell.

20201231_155848.jpg

20201231_160015.jpg

20201231_155948.jpg 20201231_155854.jpg 20201231_160010.jpg

Attachments

• 20201231_160010.jpg
    20201231_160010.jpg
    112.7 KB · Views: 66
  • 20201231_160015.jpg
    20201231_160015.jpg
    126.7 KB · Views: 62

RRRAAAAMMMM2020

Reaction score
Just finished installing my Gatorbacks and love the look and coverage

Attachments

• IMG_20201229_153420.jpg
    IMG_20201229_153420.jpg
    80 KB · Views: 87
  • IMG_20201229_153402.jpg
    IMG_20201229_153402.jpg
    76.2 KB · Views: 89

EKeenan86

Reaction score
Can anyone confirm if the weather techs, husky etc will fit the 2020’s the same as the 2021’s 2500’s? Reason I ask if their website hasn’t update compatibility for the 2021 model year and I believe it should be the same as the 2020.

jsteinm1

Reaction score
I just installed the Weathertech mud flaps today and I'm liking them. I'm not a huge fan of mud flaps to begin with but these look great. They don't stand out like a sore thumb.

Now I just need to see how well they protect the truck. I'm interested in seeing if it helps with snow build up on the side steps, they extend put far enough to cover most of my side steps (7" wide steps). The other nice thing is, they cover the full width of my tread other than a little bit of the sidewalls on the back tires but that I'm not concerned about. I'll eventually end up getting fender flares down the road.

Another thing I need to watch for is rubbing. With the 35s they fronts come pretty close, still 4-5mm during normal turn on my driveway. They may rub if the truck is uneven on one side of the truck while turning but time will tell.

View attachment 78219

View attachment 78223

View attachment 78220 View attachment 78221 View attachment 78224

Those look really nice. I actually ended up ordering Husky muddogs. See how they look once we get a somewhat nice day.

Just finished installing my Gatorbacks and love the look and coverage

Those look nice!

NorthernArea51

Ram Guru
Reaction score
Does anyone have before and after pics specifically with the stock mud flaps being the before pic?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

jsteinm1

Reaction score
Does anyone have before and after pics specifically with the stock mud flaps being the before pic?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
I'll try to remember to take some. Looking for a nice-ish day to put my muddogs on.

Users who are viewing this thread