5thGenRams Forums

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Waze is the Way on CarPlay!

d_THRILL

Reaction score
So I'm sure you all know that Waze has been updated in iOS 12 to be compatible with Apple CarPlay. This may be the most useful app on CarPlay to date....at least to me. If you don't use Waze you should start. If you do use Waze, you're going to love it even more with CarPlay. No more hassle of unlocking your phone, navigating to the app, typing your destination and having to drive distracted by looking up and down constantly at your phone and/or inputting hazards and warnings through the phone. Now you just get in your truck, plug in your iPhone, and open the Waze App through CarPlay and drive on your merry way knowing you'll be warned of any cops in the area, any traffic you might have to navigate around, or any hazards on and off the roadway. Pretty amazing if you ask me.

Billet1500 4x4

Ram Guru
Reaction score
Says every Android user ever....:p haha just kidding. Yeah, that makes sense. Regardless though, it's working seamlessly on CarPlay. What makes it better on Android platform?
It has a few features not available on car play. The biggest is hands free commands, in android auto you can use the "ok google" command and tell waze what to do without pushing a button. Because Waze isn't native to apple hey siri won't work. And there are some quick menus that are not available in CarPlay. Little things you don't know are missing if you never had them before. The app in general runs smoother and faster

warvet

Reaction score
I tried it 2 days ago and it didn't open up. I'll try again today. I do have ios12 on the iphone XS Max

UPDATE: it works for me. I had to update the actual waze app. Man, I'm going to love this!!!!

Last edited:

warvet

Reaction score
Unlock your iPhone and open it on there first if it doesn’t work

I ran out to the truck.........I had to update the waze app. Works great!!! Man, this is going to be great. I do use the Nav in the truck, but I also have waze running on my phone just so I can hear alerts. I'm going to love this

I also do like the Sirius traffic, but waze is my go to. I wish it covered the entire 12 inch screen (waze)

Ortiz7983

Ram Guru
Reaction score
I just stick to Apple Maps. But great you found a map app you like.

sass

Reaction score
I really like Waze when driving in areas with cell coverage. If they would let you download offline maps like the google maps app does it be my number 1 choice. Also the only big bug I don’t like is that Waze stays open and burns my battery down after unplugging from the truck. If the fix those two things I’d be a power user.

Kidder

Reaction score
I just stick to Apple Maps. But great you found a map app you like.
Waze is more than just maps. It's social networking for navigation. Police, wrecks, hazards are all reportable by you and seen by other wazers. Don't go on a road trip without it!

I assume you knew all of that but just in case...

Ortiz7983

Ram Guru
Reaction score
Waze is more than just maps. It's social networking for navigation. Police, wrecks, hazards are all reportable by you and seen by other wazers. Don't go on a road trip without it!

I assume you knew all of that but just in case...
You assumed correct. I just don’t like that google bought waze. Oh well.

PorBoy

Spends too much time on here
Reaction score
I’ve just installed it on my phone today, and after I drop off my daughter I’m going to try it out.

Chill72

Reaction score
It has a few features not available on car play. The biggest is hands free commands, in android auto you can use the "ok google" command and tell waze what to do without pushing a button. Because Waze isn't native to apple hey siri won't work. And there are some quick menus that are not available in CarPlay. Little things you don't know are missing if you never had them before. The app in general runs smoother and faster
I tell Siri to lunch Waze and use “ok waze” to tell it where to go. Works seamlessly.

Users who are viewing this thread