5thGenRams Forums

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Water stains on rear headliner

gimp123678

Reaction score
Hi I bought a brand new 2019 Ram a couple weeks ago and have noticed water stains on the rear part of the headliner. The dealer I bought it from is an hour away I sent the salesman pictures but he is trying too down play the issue. Not sure what to do next, it still has the full factory warrenty.

Attachments

• 20200901_170227.jpg
    20200901_170227.jpg
    65 KB · Views: 119
  • 20200901_170119.jpg
    20200901_170119.jpg
    195.4 KB · Views: 119
  • 20200901_170127.jpg
    20200901_170127.jpg
    127.7 KB · Views: 112

Scram1500

Spends too much time on here
Reaction score
Judging by the location of the stain it's the third brake light seal that's leaking. The gasket material is crap. The rear window is also known to leak, check for cracks in the plastic above the window

jeffauclair

Reaction score
Hi I bought a brand new 2019 Ram a couple weeks ago and have noticed water stains on the rear part of the headliner. The dealer I bought it from is an hour away I sent the salesman pictures but he is trying too down play the issue. Not sure what to do next, it still has the full factory warrenty.
Had the same stain. Dealer replaced the 3rd brake light and it fixed the issue.

ZombieSlayer

Reaction score
I have the same stains, 2 dealers in CA played it off and kept saying parts were on order (for over 7 months). Now that I'm in OR I'll see if they treat us any better, I have multiple issues that I've brought up in CA but got blown off with.

Scram1500

Spends too much time on here
Reaction score
Lucky for me I guess I have a black headliner and you can't see the stain. After reading about other peoples experiences on this site, I fixed mine with a gasket from Lowe's

d15nonvtec

Reaction score
I had this issue on my 4th gen and my 5th gen. I used a better strip gasket on both 3rd brake lights and the problem went away.

Reaction score
2019 1500 had same waterstains been back twice, first time to replace the gasket on third light, this past Thursday to replace the back window as it was also leaking and apparently this is common, even my dealers service department said this has been over a 1/2 dozen, they have Safeglass the windshield people put in a new rear window...we shall see

Reaction score
Replaced...they wanted to clean it with Fantastic but luckily was there and refused and they replaced the headliner and what ever the little piece is below that. Had to order it but received in 2 days and actually matched the color. Yes I hid a sharpie mark under the edge of my old one to ensure I received new headliner

Reaction score
Follow up, had rear window replaced (by a windshield installation company not the dealership, they arranged it said it was best way) had new third light gasket put in, replaced the headliner you would never know anything was wrong will know more after next major storm or power wash.

gimp123678

Reaction score
Waiting to hear back from the dealer, they gave me a Fiat 500 as a loaner lol......

Gen3CoupeTX

Reaction score
Mine leaked for the first time yesterday, all indications say it's the 3rd brake light. I'll replace the gasket with the M-D strip I've used before; recommended by others here as well. Another post I just read said a rag soaked with hydrogen peroxide will take care of the lines / staining on the headliner. Pictures once dry looked good as new. I'll know myself in a day or two ;-)

gimp123678

Reaction score
They are replacing the third brake light, I asked about the headliner they are looking into it. I figure since it's under warranty I will have them fix it. Don't want to do something and have them void it.

Baron74

Reaction score
Just had my third brake light fixed. Not sure all what they did to it but the service scheduler said they put in some new Torx screws. The first time I brought it in I mentioned I had seen the rear window issue and third brake light issue on these boards. They decided to tighten the antenna instead. :mad: I went through a pretty good NW downpour with no leaks so I'm hopeful that issue is solved. I have the black headliner so I didn't see any staines thankfully.

Gen3CoupeTX

Reaction score
I fixed mine once the M-D weatherstrip arrived. I also ran a bead of silicon around the brake/cargo light assembly and the four screws ... Plus the shark fin while I was in the vicinity. The biggest surprise was how well the hydrogen peroxide removed the water stain on my gray headliner. Good thing I took 'before' pictures, as it's impossible to see now. I'll take it!

Users who are viewing this thread