5thGenRams Forums

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Water Spot Removal

z0n3

Ram Guru
Reaction score
Hey all-

About a month ago I washed my truck and since it was raining in Seattle I chose not to dry it off.. Bad idea. The car wash water left water spots all over my truck. I am looking for advice on products to remove water spots that won’t harm the gtechniq ceramic coating I applied. Anyone have any suggestions?

Scram1500

Spends too much time on here
Reaction score
I've heard of people using a dilute vinegar solution as the spots are usually mineral deposits (calcium, magnesium) from hard water

MBORO19RAM

Reaction score

Wheel acid for the win. If your paint was corrected properly before coating then ONR and clay mitt works good. Better explanation in this video.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

SD Rebel

Reaction score
50% white vinegar and water in a spray bottle and a microfiber towel, works amazingly! I couldn't believe how effective it was, literally wiped away in seconds. Not sure about the video example, but worked great for me. Certainly better than the polish and paint cleaner I tried first. And I love Meguirers cleaner wax, used it for decades, but near useless on hard water spots.

Highly recommended you rinse down the body afterwards and touch up the wax in the area you used it, since vinegar is acidic and will remove wax.

MBORO19RAM

Reaction score
50% white vinegar and water in a spray bottle and a microfiber towel, works amazingly! I couldn't believe how effective it was, literally wiped away in seconds.

Highly recommended you rinse down the body afterwards and touch up the wax in the area you used it, since vinegar is acidic and will remove wax.

It’s ceramic coated. Vinegar will do nothing to the coating and next to nothing for the spots on ceramic coating.

SD Rebel

Reaction score
It’s ceramic coated. Vinegar will do nothing to the coating and next to nothing for the spots on ceramic coating.

Oh gotcha, missed that part. How is hard water on ceramic coating?

MBORO19RAM

Reaction score
Oh gotcha, missed that part. How is hard water on ceramic coating?

Ceramic coatings are actually less susceptible to water spotting vs regular automotive paint; however, their hydrophobic nature can lead to water droplets clinging to horizontal panels that can lead to mineral deposits if the vehicle is not washed and dried correctly.

SD Rebel

Reaction score
Ceramic coatings are actually less susceptible to water spotting vs regular automotive paint; however, their hydrophobic nature can lead to water droplets clinging to horizontal panels that can lead to mineral deposits if the vehicle is not washed and dried correctly.

Got it, that is interesting, thanks for the info.

Jtr

Ram Guru
Reaction score
I wish that video tried something less toxic than wheel acid, like super clean, purple power or simple green so we could see the results. That is some hard water they had on that car.

Neurobit

RAM Sorcerer
Reaction score
I wish that video tried something less toxic than wheel acid, like super clean, purple power or simple green so we could see the results. That is some hard water they had on that car.
Wheel acid is not harsh to paint. Only to bare aluminum. Totally safe.

Users who are viewing this thread