5thGenRams Forums

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

water leak

kapinallinen2

5thGenRams Supporter
Site Supporter
Reaction score
Just heard from a different dealer I took my truck to. After the first dealer replaced the 3rd brake light and sunroof drains it still leaks. This dealer says its the rear window leaking. He said it is not under warranty. The truck is still in the 3/36 bumper to bumper warranty and he said that is only covered under the 1yr/12k warranty. I mean, this is a manufacturer defect, not broken glass. I called Ram customer support and opened a case. This is such BS. They know these trucks have an issue so why the run around and should be covered under the 3/36.
The rear window glass is not what is leaking, the frame is.
Glass is covered for 12 months, frame is 3 years/36 months at the least, new extended warranty is lot longer.

breilly

Reaction score
Ok, I agree the frame is leaking, the glass is fine. You look at the frame and there are no visible crack so it must be cracked on top of the frame where it is not visible. At any rate, my dealer refuses to repair it. I got RamCares involved and they really don't care. They should be could Ram Cares Less. They call the dealer and whatever the dealer says is what they tell you. I can do that myself. Man am I sorry I spent all this money on this truck. How the heck do I explain that the frame is the problem and not the window to an advisor who just keeps saying it is covered and doesn't budge.

kapinallinen2

5thGenRams Supporter
Site Supporter
Reaction score
Ok, I agree the frame is leaking, the glass is fine. You look at the frame and there are no visible crack so it must be cracked on top of the frame where it is not visible. At any rate, my dealer refuses to repair it. I got RamCares involved and they really don't care. They should be could Ram Cares Less. They call the dealer and whatever the dealer says is what they tell you. I can do that myself. Man am I sorry I spent all this money on this truck. How the heck do I explain that the frame is the problem and not the window to an advisor who just keeps saying it is covered and doesn't budge.
My original window frame had the standard visible cracks.
The replacement developed cracks in the corner that could not be seen from inside.
1705017540148.jpeg
I would go to a different dealer or... advanced auto and get some permatex flow-able silicone and be done with it.

Reaction score
My original window frame had the standard visible cracks.
The replacement developed cracks in the corner that could not be seen from inside.
View attachment 174398
I would go to a different dealer or... advanced auto and get some permatex flow-able silicone and be done with it.
What angle was that pic from? Trying to get a frame of reference.

I had the leak, dealer replaced the CHMSL. I confirmed that they replaced it with the most recent version. Looked again the other day after it had rained, still leaking. No visible cracks in the window surround on the inside, but it looks as though your pic is a deeper dig into the issue.

kapinallinen2

5thGenRams Supporter
Site Supporter
Reaction score
What angle was that pic from? Trying to get a frame of reference.

I had the leak, dealer replaced the CHMSL. I confirmed that they replaced it with the most recent version. Looked again the other day after it had rained, still leaking. No visible cracks in the window surround on the inside, but it looks as though your pic is a deeper dig into the issue.

Attachments

• Rear frame corner leak.jpg
    Rear frame corner leak.jpg
    107.8 KB · Views: 53
  • driver side leak.jpg
    driver side leak.jpg
    172 KB · Views: 52

ld4runner

Reaction score
Heavy rain and it's wet again in the same spot under the drivers side rear seat. Brought it back yesterday and now service manager is telling me it was wet at the rear brake light and the rear window. Brake light was changed but they have to order a new window. After this only thing left is the rear cabin air vents. So according to service manager I had leaks at all four corners of the sun roof, the rear brake light and the rear window. WTF truck is 2021, only 25k miles and no never been in an accident.
Finally rear window is in and I dropped vehicle off this morning. During this wait I stuffed towels up behind the rear seat to absorb the water and it's help but to my surprise the carpet was wet under the mat in the front on the drivers side so I'm concerned the sunroof is sill leaking and I'm not convinced it was leaking before and may be leaking now because they screwed something up. In addition to all this other crap when I picked my vehicle up last time it had a dent in the rear corner panel. I'm basically back to square one with more leaking and damage to my vehicle that I didn't have before. I called corporate this morning and started a case. Just to recap, according to the dealer I had water leaking from all 4 corners of the sunroof, the third brake light and the rear window so they sold me a brand new vehicle with 6 water leaks and threw in the dent for good luck I guess. Will update again when there is more to update. This will definitely be my last Chrysler, Dodge, Ram or whatever they want to call themselves. GMC or Ford will be next.

Darksteel165

Legendary member
Reaction score
Finally rear window is in and I dropped vehicle off this morning. During this wait I stuffed towels up behind the rear seat to absorb the water and it's help but to my surprise the carpet was wet under the mat in the front on the drivers side so I'm concerned the sunroof is sill leaking and I'm not convinced it was leaking before and may be leaking now because they screwed something up. In addition to all this other crap when I picked my vehicle up last time it had a dent in the rear corner panel. I'm basically back to square one with more leaking and damage to my vehicle that I didn't have before. I called corporate this morning and started a case. Just to recap, according to the dealer I had water leaking from all 4 corners of the sunroof, the third brake light and the rear window so they sold me a brand new vehicle with 6 water leaks and threw in the dent for good luck I guess. Will update again when there is more to update. This will definitely be my last Chrysler, Dodge, Ram or whatever they want to call themselves. GMC or Ford will be next.
Avoid a GMC if you are worried about water getting in. Their roofs are splitting in half.

ld4runner

Reaction score
Has anyone dealt with corporate and gotten anything back?

Ninja Rooster

Reaction score
I paid almost $80,000 for a 3500 Laramie. It has 27,000 miles on it. I’ve owned it since new. It’s out of warranty. Dealer said I could bring it in but would have to pay for it.

I’ve been chasing this for over a month. There is a law firm working on a lawsuit apparently.

I have a 1997 Ford F250 with 41,000 original miles. No leak at rear window. No leak at 3rd brake light. No leak at cab lights. Nothing.

This is completely pathetic.

Ash Paymaster

Reaction score
Your theory about the cabin air vents could be onto something, especially considering the part number changes you mentioned.

Dwalker

Reaction score
I have been having the same issue. I decided to remove my seats and the cab wall panel so I could see where water was coming from. I have 2 cracks in my window frame and water runs in and drips from that. I did however see water entering from a seam in the cab wall. In the attached picture you can see where I circled is where the water is coming in. The arrow is the water line as it travels down to the floor. The other photo is the water that just accumulates along the base of the cab wall. @ld4runner this may be your issue as well.
What was the resolution for this issue. I think this is what i am dealing with from what I can see

410DelmonicoSport

Reaction score
What was the resolution for this issue. I think this is what i am dealing with from what I can see
Had to have the back window replaced. It was a joke of a process, but it finally got done last week. I was able to get it covered so I didn’t have to pay anything out of pocket, but of course we haven’t had any rain since I picked it up. So now I just have to wait and see.

Darksteel165

Legendary member
Reaction score
How did you remove the black trim piece to open that up?

ROOF MOLDING​

REMOVAL

1. Place a layer of masking tape along the perimeter of the roof joint molding to avoid damage to neighboring panels.
    GUID-2313187381.png
  2. Starting at the center of the molding, insert a trim stick (1) between the roof panel and roof molding (2) and gently pry up. Repeat on the opposite side of the molding.
  3. Repeat step 2 working toward the rear of the molding until the retaining clips are released.
  4. Repeat step 2 working toward the front of the molding until the retaining clips are released.
    GUID-2313187380.png
  5. Remove the molding from the vehicle.
    NOTE
    Image show the general location of the retaining clips (1) on the roof molding (2). Crew cab version shown, other versions similar with less retaining clips.
  6. If necessary, remove the retaining clip(s) from the roof stud using a small flat bladed tool to pry the center flange of the clip while lifting up.
  7. Remove the masking tape.

kapinallinen2

5thGenRams Supporter
Site Supporter
Reaction score

ROOF MOLDING​

REMOVAL

1. Place a layer of masking tape along the perimeter of the roof joint molding to avoid damage to neighboring panels.
    GUID-2313187381.png
  2. Starting at the center of the molding, insert a trim stick (1) between the roof panel and roof molding (2) and gently pry up. Repeat on the opposite side of the molding.
  3. Repeat step 2 working toward the rear of the molding until the retaining clips are released.
  4. Repeat step 2 working toward the front of the molding until the retaining clips are released.
    GUID-2313187380.png
  5. Remove the molding from the vehicle.
    NOTE
    Image show the general location of the retaining clips (1) on the roof molding (2). Crew cab version shown, other versions similar with less retaining clips.
  6. If necessary, remove the retaining clip(s) from the roof stud using a small flat bladed tool to pry the center flange of the clip while lifting up.
  7. Remove the masking tape.
That.

Users who are viewing this thread