5thGenRams Forums

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Water leak from sunglass compartment? Ughhh. Love affair over?

OldMarine

Ram Guru
Reaction score
Noticed a small puddle at bottom of center console. I have NO sunroof. Checked all headliner areas dry. No water anywhere in cabin except a dripping from sunglass compartment! Wtf? Dealer time I guess. Can only be one of 2 areas as far as I could tell. Either bad windshield seal, or shark fin leak running down to front area.

Attachments

• IMG_20201126_113305335.jpg
    IMG_20201126_113305335.jpg
    137.6 KB · Views: 42

SD Rebel

Spends too much time on here
Reaction score
I'm thinking shark fin based on your description. If you want to inspect, remove the 3rd brake light, you can unclip that rear part of the headliner easily by just pulling down on the edge so you can see if the fin better. The shark fins seal is actually internal, in the middle of the fin, the outside is just a cosmetic gasket. There is one bolt that holds it in place.

If you are still under warranty, I would avoid any repair so the dealer doesn't try to back out of a proper repair, including possibly replacing the headliner. It still blows my mind how delicate and cheap these little seals are on the antenna and 3rd brake lights are in preventing water intrusion into the cab for these and many other vehicles.

Here is a GM antenna which should be very similar.

GM Antenna Seal.jpg

OldMarine

Ram Guru
Reaction score
I'm thinking shark fin based on your description. If you want to inspect, remove the 3rd brake light, you can unclip that rear part of the headliner easily by just pulling down on the edge so you can see if the fin better. The shark fins seal is actually internal, in the middle of the fin, the outside is just a cosmetic gasket. There is one bolt that holds it in place.

If you are still under warranty, I would avoid any repair so the dealer doesn't try to back out of a proper repair, including possibly replacing the headliner. It still blows my mind how delicate and cheap these little seals are on the antenna and 3rd brake lights are in preventing water intrusion into the cab for these and many other vehicles.

Here is a GM antenna which should be very similar.

View attachment 74959
Yup I'm thinking shark fin too. Windshield is slightly lower than overhead console so water shouldn't go " up ". Might hit it with a little Flex-Seal clear and see what happens before letting dealer go at it. Still under B2B warranty.

Last edited:

Dusty1948

Ram Guru
Reaction score
For some reason I cannot access my service manual today, but I'm pretty sure there is an inner and outer water seal used on DT Rams. The mounting concept is the same as GM vehicles.

Regards,
Dusty
2019 Ram 1500 Billet Silver Laramie Quad Cab 2WD, 5.7 Hemi, 8HP75, 3.21 axle, 33 gallon fuel tank, factory dual exhaust, 18” wheels. Build date: 03 June 2018. Now at: 043480 miles.

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread