5thGenRams Forums

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Water leak from rear window.

c3k

Ram Guru
Reaction score
Sigh.

Add me to the leak list. Truck in sig.

1. A few weeks ago, we had a big rainstorm, followed by a large temperature drop. When my wife and I got in the truck, the front windshield had condensate covering the inside, as did every interior hard (metal/plastic) surface. Again, a big temp drop. I thought maybe the drop in temp caused hot/humid air in the truck to condense. Time to watch...

2. Yesterday, early, we had a big rainstorm. Today, I got in the truck. Same issue with windshield interior COVERED in moisture. Hmmm. :(

I checked the known bad locations...and found a bunch of water behind the driver's side rear seat. Pix and vid...

Leak pic 01.jpg
^^^
The water marks above the window decal are all on the interior.

So, I'm going to find out how good or bad North Point Ram's (Winston-Salem) service department is. Initial impressions? Not great. It took 4 calls to get through. Next appointment is 0800 on Friday the 9th. No loaners.

50Front

Reaction score
My guess is if you drive with the rear window open and encounter a transition that produces a twisting force on the cab then the plastic frame breaks at the weakest point, right above the corner of the opening. If the window is closed it reinforces the frame.

homedad

Reaction score
Leaks can happen anywhere on the rear window. But the most common issue seems to occur at the top of the vertical frames for the rear slider. The plastic surround cracks in these locations, which allows water to get into the cab. The OP seems to be having issues with the passenger side rear glass. But there are multiple threads about the rear window cracks in these forums.
Thanks for the accurately worded reply.

c3k

Ram Guru
Reaction score
Here's a pic of my leak, in action. :(

I asked my wife to hold the hose up to top-left corner of the window, right where that body-trim piece comes down from the roof and meets the glass.

It took about 2 seconds for this to occur:

leak caught.jpg

The good news? When I bring it to the dealer this Friday, I'll know right where to have them aim the hose while we all sit in the back. Yeah, I'm not accepting "we can't find it" or, "we think it's the brake light" kind of answer.

The bad news? Yeah, a truck with 18,000 miles needs a replacement rear window because RAM cheaped out on either/both the window to frame glue, frame material, or frame to vehicle glue. (I suspect there is more cab flex than they anticipated. A more "give" type of adhesive may be the solution, rather than a hardened glue.)

crusher

Ram Guru
Reaction score
i cant beleive they have not produce a better replacement window yet, thats just bad. at first by reading the threads about this i thought it was only the early 5th gen that would be affected, but now there are 2021 affected too, so they did nothing to prevent this from factory yet

Users who are viewing this thread