5thGenRams Forums

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Water leak around high mounted brake light

Jimbo 82

Reaction score
I too had a water leak onto my headliner possibly originating from the high-mounted rear brake light. I own a 2021 RAM -500 Limited. I went to my dealer after seeing posts as well as the TSB describing my similar situation. But, of course they told me that my vehicles VIN did not qualify for a warranty fix.
The dealer said that the new rear mounted light was “redesigned “ to correct this problem and that he didn’t get good results trying to “reseal” them, but I could leave my truck there and they could “run a water test to find the source of the problem,”, but that a new light would run $550, not including the cost of the diagnosis!
I read about several “fixes” online, and removed the light, took off the old gasket which appeared dried, and went to autozone and purchased auto/ marine silicone gasket material in a roll.
After throughly cleaning off the old gasket as well as the inset with alcohol, I applied the silicone gasket around the light and reattached it.
Well, it seamed to have solved the problem! I live in Houston and we’ve had torrential rains the last few days, and it remains dry…… my cost? $6.50…..

kapinallinen2

5thGenRams Supporter
Site Supporter
Reaction score
I too had a water leak onto my headliner possibly originating from the high-mounted rear brake light. I own a 2021 RAM -500 Limited. I went to my dealer after seeing posts as well as the TSB describing my similar situation. But, of course they told me that my vehicles VIN did not qualify for a warranty fix.
The dealer said that the new rear mounted light was “redesigned “ to correct this problem and that he didn’t get good results trying to “reseal” them, but I could leave my truck there and they could “run a water test to find the source of the problem,”, but that a new light would run $550, not including the cost of the diagnosis!
I read about several “fixes” online, and removed the light, took off the old gasket which appeared dried, and went to autozone and purchased auto/ marine silicone gasket material in a roll.
After throughly cleaning off the old gasket as well as the inset with alcohol, I applied the silicone gasket around the light and reattached it.
Well, it seamed to have solved the problem! I live in Houston and we’ve had torrential rains the last few days, and it remains dry…… my cost? $6.50…..
Yup.
AFAIK the warranty recall only covered the first couple model years.
The new high dollar light with the camera is not part of it.

Users who are viewing this thread