5thGenRams Forums

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Water leak and coolant type smell

Pjm300

Reaction score
So beginning around January I was starting to notice an odd mildew type smell in my cab. I’m in NY so we have snow and ice so didn’t think much right away. Progressively got worse so I searched the truck and found rodent droppings around my battery insulation. Cleaned that out and figured something got In the ducts and died. Pulled stuff apart and found nothing. Then it started to smell more like a faint coolant odor to me so I took it to the dealer they did the basic pressure test and said all was good and no leaks. Got it home and looked more myself and found the drivers floorboard soaked under the carpet. Carpet pad was saturated with some mold. Called the dealer back and they couldn’t get it back in until today (3 weeks) since last visit. I gave them the star case number regarding the front fender seam issues. They told me the leak is from the back window and brake light and is covered by the warranty for that issue. Ok. But when I went through the truck I found no dampness under the rear seat or carpet area and no cracks around the rear window frame. On top of that they now say I have a small coolant leak and need a heater core. Truck is a 2020 bighorn with 41500 miles. I asked how could they tell me the coolant system was fine 3 weeks ago now I need a heater core. I like my truck but find this a bit crazy. Maybe a Rat got up by the heater core and damaged it? Still also seems fishy on the leak findings as well. Sorry to vent

kapinallinen2

5thGenRams Supporter
Site Supporter
Reaction score
Something to read thru. There are couple other threads discussing the 3rd brake light and shark fin antenna.

Pjm300

Reaction score
Is the smell inside or out side of the cab?
Outside, some of have an occasional smell without ill effects.
Inside, no good.
Inside unfortunately. Told the dealer I can’t believe a heater core failed at 41k and they actually agreed. Maybe they will try to cover it or some of it.

kapinallinen2

5thGenRams Supporter
Site Supporter
Reaction score
Welp they are saying 2500 to replace heater core. What a joke

Might want to shop around.
It is a big job, the whole dash has to come out before the heater box can be pulled and placed on the bench.
Book calls for 8 hours and that "Does Not Include: Refrigerant Recovery Or Evacuate & Recharge AC System."

Users who are viewing this thread