5thGenRams Forums

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Water in battery box UNDER battery

ramhead

Reaction score
So, I had to replace my 4.5+ year old original battery (2019 Ram Bighorn) which seemed to be on its last legs and didn't want to wait until one cold morning for a surprise . When I removed it, the battery tray/sectioned compartments under the battery were FILLED with water. The battery was fully intact and was not leaking - I checked it thoroughly. It was definitely water but I could not find any means of egress of how it got in there. I should have snapped some photos but did not have my phone with me. I used a shop rag to dry up the water and then let the tray air dry. The water in the tray looked "fresh"...it was clear with no discoloration.

The battery tray is heavy duty plastic with several sectioned compartments - square type grids which are for added strength. They are maybe 1.5" - 2" deep and each was filled to the top with water. There are also no drains in any of them. I was thinking of drilling some drain holes in them but thought better of it when I saw how close the tray sits to the left front wheel liner as I did not want to risk drilling into that.

There were no other signs of water in the engine compartment or indication of water damage. The top and sides of the old battery were dry and looked normal.

We did have some heavy rain recently but again, I can't see any way the water got under the hood and migrated into the battery tray. And, no, I haven't driven through any deep puddles or standing water recently. Also, solid OEM hood, no vents, scoops or any modifications. All rubber gaskets in the engine compartment/below windshield are in place & intact.

Any ideas...I'm stymied.

Last edited:

HSKR R/T

locally hated
Site Supporter
Reaction score
So, I had to replace my 4.5+ year old original battery (2019 Ram Bighorn) which seemed to be on its last legs and didn't want to wait until one cold morning for a surprise . When I removed it, the battery tray/sectioned compartments under the battery were FILLED with water. The battery was fully intact and was not leaking - I checked it thoroughly. It was definitely water but I could not find any means of egress of how it got in there. I should have snapped some photos but did not have my phone with me. I used a shop rag to dry up the water and then let the tray air dry. The water in the tray looked "fresh"...it was clear with no discoloration.

The battery tray is heavy duty plastic with several sectioned compartments - square type grids which are for added strength. They are maybe 1.5" - 2" deep and each was filled to the top with water. There are also no drains in any of them. I was thinking of drilling some drain holes in them but thought better of it when I saw how close the tray sits to the left front wheel liner as I did not want to risk drilling into that.

There were no other signs of water in the engine compartment or indication of water damage. The top and sides of the old battery were dry and looked normal.

We did have some heavy rain recently but again, I can't see any way the water got under the hood and migrated into the battery tray. And, no, I haven't driven through any deep puddles or standing water recently. Also, solid OEM hood, no vents, scoops or any modifications. All rubber gaskets in the engine compartment/below windshield are in place & intact.

Any ideas...I'm stymied.
If you honestly think your engine bay is sealed and no water will get in during a rain storm, you may need to adjust your thinking. Everything under the hood uses sealed weather proof connectors because water does get under the hood.

Basically, don't over think it. It's a non-issue

Jako

Spends too much time on here
Reaction score
It has been previously reported. Not sure in what thread.
Here is the battery thread if you want to check it out.

I had the water also when I changed out my battery (2nd one) after 2 years in the tray. The battery was 1st changed (under warranty) after 2 years by the dealership so I do not know the conditions at that time.

ramhead

Reaction score
If you honestly think your engine bay is sealed and no water will get in during a rain storm, you may need to adjust your thinking. Everything under the hood uses sealed weather proof connectors because water does get under the hood.

Basically, don't over think it. It's a non-issue
Wow...a little harsh but ok, thanks teacher. lol

Anyway - I know my way around vehs. and have owned/worked on them for 40+ years. I NEVER said or implied anything should or would be waterproof in the engine compartment. I realize water can intrude or get under the hood due to its intensity, angle, wind driven, etc. - But I can't see how it could get in and over the battery and other various areas near it where it would puddle but only wind up in the battery tray. And, as far as a non-issue I disagree - of most places in the engine area, the battery tray (esp. underneath) would be the last place you'd expect a heavy build up of water. Or, if that was a place water might build up you'd expect factory drains put in as it's not a good idea to have water sloshing around the battery area. Hell, I had an older Ram with the SRT hood (OPEN hood scoop/vent) where water got into the engine bay but I never found or saw water in or around the battery.

ramhead

Reaction score
It has been previously reported. Not sure in what thread.
Here is the battery thread if you want to check it out.

I had the water also when I changed out my battery (2nd one) after 2 years in the tray. The battery was 1st changed (under warranty) after 2 years by the dealership so I do not know the conditions at that time.
Thanks, I had read that thread while anticipating my battery replacement - but as you know the search thing here isn't real great in finding specific things but I'll hunt around for it re the actual water issue.

HSKR R/T

locally hated
Site Supporter
Reaction score
Wow...a little harsh but ok, thanks teacher. lol

Anyway - I know my way around vehs. and have owned/worked on them for 40+ years. I NEVER said or implied anything should or would be waterproof in the engine compartment. I realize water can intrude or get under the hood due to its intensity, angle, wind driven, etc. - But I can't see how it could get in and over the battery and other various areas near it where it would puddle but only wind up in the battery tray. And, as far as a non-issue I disagree - of most places in the engine area, the battery tray (esp. underneath) would be the last place you'd expect a heavy build up of water. Or, if that was a place water might build up you'd expect factory drains put in as it's not a good idea to have water sloshing around the battery area. Hell, I had an older Ram with the SRT hood (OPEN hood scoop/vent) where water got into the engine bay but I never found or saw water in or around the battery.
What exactly is the issue with water sitting in the small areas under the battery? It's not going to effect the battery at all. There are no electrical wires there. The posts of the battery are on top, so no worries about shorting the battery. As I said, it's a non-issue as far as causing problems. If it's a personal thing that you don't like it, drilling drain holes is the only "fix".

ramhead

Reaction score
What exactly is the issue with water sitting in the small areas under the battery? It's not going to effect the battery at all. There are no electrical wires there. The posts of the battery are on top, so no worries about shorting the battery. As I said, it's a non-issue as far as causing problems. If it's a personal thing that you don't like it, drilling drain holes is the only "fix".

The only issue I have is it really shouldn't be there or why its there....I mean there's no water in any other areas that have depression/puddle spots....why there?? If it was just a few water drops or a tiny amount I wouldn't be concerned. But again, these (all compartments) were full right up to the top of tray/battery bottom. I do realize that since it's such an enclosed location it would take time for any condensation, etc. to dry out....but this would have taken months with the amount in there. And add to it that I'm in the Northeast so when it gets down to below freezing it's going to be like an ice cube tray...which might lead to cracking in the plastic tray.

ramhead

Reaction score
Hmmm....you just reminded me I went thru a full service wash the other day and the guy up front was using a power wand type sprayer as a "pre-wash" before the truck went into the automated one. And he did spray along the hood line, cowl, wheel wells, etc. so that's probably exactly where it came from. Thanks!

And how close is the battery box bottom to the top of the wheel well liner?? Any issues with hitting it with drill bit?

ramhead

Reaction score
None. Just negative comments on why I shouldn't have drilled drain holes
LOL...that comes with the territory here. Just like most Youtube help vids, there's always someone who has to argue or give "better" ways to do it.

Mind if I ask what size bit???...1/4"?? And did you drill a hole in each pocket?

gpbst3

Reaction score
My 4.5 yr old battery just died on me last night and when I pulled it I also found water in the bottom of the battery tray. My water was a bluish/green color and odorless. I do use a touchless carwash weekly. I wonder if its getting in from the wash. The insulation around the battery was dry.

6of36

Reaction score
My 4.5 yr old battery just died on me last night and when I pulled it I also found water in the bottom of the battery tray. My water was a bluish/green color and odorless. I do use a touchless carwash weekly. I wonder if its getting in from the wash. The insulation around the battery was dry.
Odd color, probably the car wash.

Rick3478

Ram Guru
Reaction score
Passing thoughts:
Sure you can drill holes, but what are they going to drip onto?
And if the battery ever does leak out, where will the acid go?
Maybe it's better if it's kept contained?
Or maybe one hole with a fitting and tube to someplace safe?

Snekpete

Reaction score
I had water under the battery as well. The truck has never been washed and it was a dry summer. I suspect that it is condensation.

Biga

Ram Guru
Reaction score
The water probably comes in from where hood badge is on the hood. Thier is a big hole under it, and it's not sealed.

Mountain Whiskey

Reaction score
Who here thinks that thier engine compartment is water tight? Please raise raise your hand.

Users who are viewing this thread