5thGenRams Forums

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Washing the truck.

logboom

Reaction score
I've now washed my new RAM 1500 twice and each time I find it incredibly difficult to wash the roof. I have the sunroof/full glass panel.
I'm no spring chicken and may have to invest in a man lift 🤣
Anybody have a secret formula for washing etc the hard to reach areas of these rigs?

cskindt

Ram Guru
Reaction score
I've now washed my new RAM 1500 twice and each time I find it incredibly difficult to wash the roof. I have the sunroof/full glass panel.
Anybody have a secret formula for washing etc the hard to reach areas of these rigs?
Being tall with a long reach while standing on a step-stool helps me reach the center of the roof when I wash mine. Getting old doesn't help.

SD Rebel

Spends too much time on here
Reaction score
I'm 6' 2", and even being tall, it's not easy to get to the roof in a conventional way.

But, the way that works for me is jumping on the bed and getting the back area, for the sides and front, I open the front doors and step on the running board.

SD Rebel

Reaction score
$45 per month for an unlimited wash package at a local car wash that does a nice job. The kids vacuum it as part of the chores and I will periodically, after it is washed, go over it with griot garage spray wax. Truck looks like new three years later.

I would have been against this in the past, but too lazy at my nearly 50 year old body. I found a great car wash nearby, and have done it at least 10 times already, and the truck looks great, no damage or additional scratches that I can see. I just do the finish drying and spray wax.

I'm sure more micro scratches are happening, but after my truck gets old enough, I'll just invest in a good quality detail and paint correction, which I would need to do anyways even if I hand washed her.

J-Cooz

Ram Guru
Reaction score
I deploy my side steps and use them. You can stand on them and wash the roof.

Sent from my SM-G781W using Tapatalk

GMetal

Reaction score
Step ladder to reach the sides and standing in the bed you can reach the back half. I step on the front tire and can reach the front section of the roof. Standing in the door jamb works too

bill-e

Ram Guru
Reaction score
Lower the suspension and stand on the bed. I'm 5'3 with fireplugs for legs but with the suspension lowered, using the MFT as a hand rail I can pretty easily step up to the bumper and then the bed. Unfortunately I can't reach the back 1/3rd center of the hood so I need a step stool for that when drying.

wegasque

Ram Guru
Reaction score
I second the auto wash if you have a good one near you. Can have it washed once a day. But when I do the roof I stand in the bed get the rear for the front I open the door and stand in it.

There is also something like this as an option.

I've got one of these and it works pretty well. Mine's a different Chinese brand. Probably same company lol.

Mountain Whiskey

Reaction score
Yup. Figured out how to wash the top of a production line mass produced pickup truck early on. This little gadget does a great lob!
345d113b89f65b0183cba2b51665fdfb.jpeg.jpg

logboom

Reaction score

BowDown

Reaction score
I lower the truck to entry/exit, stand in the bed and open the front doors and stand in the door sill. Unless you're slinging water everywhere, nothing goes inside. Shut the door and rinse

Users who are viewing this thread