5thGenRams Forums

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Washer Fluid use

Clayinfla

Reaction score
I admit I never checked my washer fluid reservoir when I bought my truck in March. I have only used It maybe a half dozen times since then. I got a low fluid warning today and checked it. It took almost a whole gallon. Does this truck use a crazy amount of washer fluid, or did my truck just not have a full tank? I couldn’t find any leak, nor do I have any puddles. Any thoughts?

Rhombus

Reaction score
Had to have been low. It’s a good spray, but nothing crazy. It should take right at a gallon with the light on

Vilas15

Reaction score
Exact same experience here. There's no way it comes full on a new truck. I filled up a whole gallon as well.

Bulldawg23

Reaction score
I bought mine mid July and mine just came on yesterday. I think I’ve used it maybe 3-4 times.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

RunsWithBeer

Reaction score
Just think how much money that is saving FCA.... 30,000 gallons of washer fluid they didn't have to purchase. I'm surprised the oil is up to the top of the fill mark on dip-stick... however with these 10 foot long dipsticks it's difficult to tell how accurate that is.

BowDown

Spends too much time on here
Reaction score
Bought my truck at the end of July, haven't used the washer at all but I did look at it on the 1st oil change, it was full

Bossdog421

Reaction score
My truck's light just came on... Got it less than 2 months ago. What an item to skimp on lol... Oh well, pretty sure they fluid I'll be using is better.

2019REBEL

Reaction score
They suppose to top it up when dealer does inspection. My dealer tops mine up when I go in for service.

NorthStar

Ram Guru
Reaction score
You can bet an FCA bean counter in Detroit calculated how much they could save by only adding enough washer fluid to each new vehicle that will turn the low fluid warning light off. He/she probably got a Special Recognition Award of $500 for saving the corporation millions of dollars worth of blue liquid. Damned good thing air is free or we'd all be needing to take an air compressor with us to the dealer when we purchase a new truck!

Last edited:

2019REBEL

Reaction score
You can bet an FCA bean counter in Detroit calculated how much they could save by only adding enough washer fluid to each new vehicle that will turn the low fluid warning light off. He/she probably got a Special Recognition Award of $500 for savings the corporation millions of dollars worth of blue liquid. Damned good thing air is free or we'd all be needing to take an air compressor with us to the dealer when we purchase a new truck!

95% of gas stations around here charge for air so that's not "free" either. Main reason I have a small air compressor at home.

bill-e

Ram Guru
Reaction score
After I made my deal I told them that I expected all the fluids full, including DEF which they shorted me on the last truck ;) They made sure I saw it topped off when I picked it up.

It's the little things that make you feel good. ;)

NorthStar

Ram Guru
Reaction score
"95% of gas stations around here charge for air so that's not "free" either. Main reason I have a small air compressor at home. "

That's my point...thus far it is free as RAM doesn't charge for it. Give it time and they'll either have it on the Moroney sticker with a charge or require each of us to bring our own air compressors from home to air up our new trucks. Then again, I don't recall Canada having Moroney stickers so the fellas in British Columbia and Yukon that I used to play hockey with will simply have to look at the car salesman and say something like "$200 for tire air, eh?"

2019REBEL

Reaction score
That's what they charge for nitrogen which is basically air. I get Nitrox for scuba diving for free so I surely not gonna pay for it for my tires.

RSConsulting

Reaction score
Keep in mind - depending on the washer fluid - there's alcohol (or methanol) in it - being a solvent - there's going to be some evaporation. Not a gallons worth for sure - but some.

Truck has never been into a dealer for service - I run by a friends shop and use his lift (saves me from having to dispose of my used oil/filter too). I dump a gallon of RainX Green in, when the light comes on.

Rick

JCR1500

Reaction score
Mine did that last weekend and I've only had it a month. Had it in the dealer Monday to replace the passenger power folding mirror and I guess they filled my washer for me bcs the light is off and the reservoir is full..hehehe

2019REBEL

Reaction score
Keep in mind - depending on the washer fluid - there's alcohol (or methanol) in it - being a solvent - there's going to be some evaporation. Not a gallons worth for sure - but some.

Truck has never been into a dealer for service - I run by a friends shop and use his lift (saves me from having to dispose of my used oil/filter too). I dump a gallon of RainX Green in, when the light comes on.

Rick

Had any problems with the Rain X, I know the pink stuff which is the winter blend gums up the low windshield washer sensor because of the silicon they put in it.

Bulldawg23

Reaction score
Had any problems with the Rain X, I know the pink stuff which is the winter blend gums up the low windshield washer sensor because of the silicon they put in it.

Yikes! I didn’t know this. I just filled mine up with the all season fluid :/

2019REBEL

Reaction score
Yikes! I didn’t know this. I just filled mine up with the all season fluid :/

I know right in my manual says

Use of Rain-X or products containing wax or silicone may reduce Rain Sensing performance for the rain sensing wipers.

Users who are viewing this thread