5thGenRams Forums

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Washer fluid smells like rotten eggs

gpbst3

Reaction score
Driving home from work last night with the windows down I hit the washer spray and was smacked with that awful smell of rotten eggs, slightly burnt rotten eggs to be exact. A mile down the road I hit the spray again to confirm. I have never in my lifetime of vehicles had this smell.

When I got home I reluctantly smelled the reservoir. It stunk bad.

The last fluid I used was the orange rainx with an additional rainx booster additive. I have always used store bought fluid whether the cheapy blue or walmart deicer.

What the hell is happening in my washer fluid tank?

HSKR R/T

locally hated
Site Supporter
Reaction score
Driving home from work last night with the windows down I hit the washer spray and was smacked with that awful smell of rotten eggs, slightly burnt rotten eggs to be exact. A mile down the road I hit the spray again to confirm. I have never in my lifetime of vehicles had this smell.

When I got home I reluctantly smelled the reservoir. It stunk bad.

The last fluid I used was the orange rainx with an additional rainx booster additive. I have always used store bought fluid whether the cheapy blue or walmart deicer.

What the hell is happening in my washer fluid tank?
I think you answered your own question. No need to use anything other than the standard blue washer fluid. The stuff rated for negative temps if you live in cold climates. Since you have mixed fluid in there, along with other additives, who knows what type of concoction it is now.

Aseras

Ram Guru
Reaction score
Most washer fluid has a large portion as alcohol to help with evaporation and a solvent and antifreeze. It also keeps stuff from growing in your tank. I would bet someone topped you up with plain water and it's been growing and fermenting in there.

scottmoyer

Ram Guru
Reaction score
Has the dealer topped off your fluids after any services? In Florida, I have found that the windshield washer tank gets topped off with water from certain dealers. Years ago, I was preparing for a trip to Minnesota in January with my old Silverado. To get it ready, I replaced all fluids. I never use my washer fluid and that's when I realized it smelled horrible. The water had gone stagnant. I was putting in proper fluid to make sure it didn't freeze up. In Florida, we smell this every time we stop to get gas and use the windshield squeegee to clean our windshields. The heat takes that water and turns it rancid really fast.

Maryland_Man

Reaction score
Picked up truck end of April, got Washer Fluid warning about a week ago, looked in washer tank and no fluid. Somebody topped off with water and evaporation took place. Filled up with right stuff, light now out and life is good.

Darksteel165

Legendary member
Reaction score
This is why I never let people "top it off" or do anything except exactly what I was there for to be done.

Just train it all out and put new stuff in.
I have mixed regular and orange and it's fine to mix but generally only put it in if you are almost out.
If you are still concerned you can empty it out between fills

Users who are viewing this thread