5thGenRams Forums

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Warranty vs Mechanical Breakdown Insurance

tjsadler

Reaction score
I see a lot of threads on warranties and I haven't seen any on MBI yet. With Geico I pay ~$28 every six months for a comprehensive mechanical breakdown policy that covers pretty much everything in the car with a $250 deductible. I've not had to use it up to this point but it's worth $60 a year for the peace of mind. My only concern with it is that I don't want to have it affect my regular car insurance rates if I use it. Hopefully I'll never find out!

Anyone else on here get MBI through their car insurance?

HMC8403

Reaction score
The one negative I remember with Geico was that you could only renew the coverage for a limited number of years.

JDBob35a

Reaction score
I have Geico MBI, have not had to use it yet (Hope I don't) lol. HMC8403 is correct, You can renew it for 7 years or 100,000 miles. Another thing to consider is your involving a third party to deal with for approval/payment of repairs. That said with the fight I've had at RAM dealers, I'll take my chances dealing with Geico to get approval.
A big thing to consider is with Geico MBI you'll need to get the repairs approved prior to work being performed, OR pay for the repairs, while getting it approved with Geico and be reimbursed.
I think depending on who you ask, this could be debated for no telling how long.

RJS

Reaction score
The Geico mechanical breakdown insurance sounds like a good deal.
Question : Does anyone have a copy of the coverage and terms of the policy to compare it to the Mopar plan. For the cost difference it might be a good reason to change policies. The best I can see from the site is the term "mechanical" so does that cover electronics, leaks, radiator, other cooling, exhaust bolts, etc. Inquiring minds want to know.

HMC8403

Reaction score
The one good thing about Geico; you do not need to have service performed at a dealer, any certified mechanic will do.

Users who are viewing this thread

Site Vendors

https://www.jasonlewisautomotive.com/