5thGenRams Forums

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Warranty issues

2020ramwv

Reaction score
I’m sure it’s on here somewhere but I can’t find it. So I’ll ask. Can you lift our trucks and keep the warranty ? Or is the mopar leveling kit installed at a dealership the only option we have ? Sorry for causing a repeat topic.

PowerJrod

Ram Guru
Reaction score
I’m sure it’s on here somewhere but I can’t find it. So I’ll ask. Can you lift our trucks and keep the warranty ? Or is the mopar leveling kit installed at a dealership the only option we have ? Sorry for causing a repeat topic.
Read the Mopar warranty info on Mopars website...It Mentions any non-Mopar part is NOT covered under warranty, and if that part causes secondary damage to an actual Mopar part...it won't be covered. That's what stopped me from doing any modifications to my truck for now.
So when companies like K&N say "won't void your warranty" they are full of crap.

SD Rebel

Spends too much time on here
Reaction score
Read the Mopar warranty info on Mopars website...It Mentions any non-Mopar part is NOT covered under warranty, and if that part causes secondary damage to an actual Mopar part...it won't be covered. That's what stopped me from doing any modifications to my truck for now.
So when companies like K&N say "won't void your warranty" they are full of crap.

Things like air filters and oil filters are covered by the Magnuson-Moss act. Though it won't stop a dealer from maybe trying to get out of something if given a chance.

I spoke with my service advisor before I changed out the muffler on my Rebel, he told me just as long as i didn't touch the cat, everything would be fine. Of course they won't cover the part we modified, but it wouldn't effect the rest of the vehicle.

As for the lift, my dealership lifts RAMs with both Mopar and aftermarket kits. They will warranty anything they do, even if it's a non-Mopar kit. Though this is more the dealership standing by the work and vendor they use.

To the OP, check if you dealer and other dealers in your area offer non-Mopar lift kits. Most I've seen do, or they use a 3rd party shop who specializes in lifts, usually taller lift than what Mopar has. They will always warranty those kits/lifts if they offer them.

PowerJrod

Ram Guru
Reaction score
Things like air filters and oil filters are covered by the Magnuson-Moss act. Though it won't stop a dealer from maybe trying to get out of something if given a chance.

I spoke with my service advisor before I changed out the muffler on my Rebel, he told me just as long as i didn't touch the cat, everything would be fine. Of course they won't cover the part we modified, but it wouldn't effect the rest of the vehicle.

As for the lift, my dealership lifts RAMs with both Mopar and aftermarket kits. They will warranty anything they do, even if it's a non-Mopar kit. Though this is more the dealership standing by the work and vendor they use.

To the OP, check if you dealer and other dealers in your area offer non-Mopar lift kits. Most I've seen do, or they use a 3rd party shop who specializes in lifts, usually taller lift than what Mopar has. They will always warranty those kits/lifts if they offer them.
Good idea for sure....just if the non Mopar part causes secondary damage, it won't be covered.
Example: aftermarket lift fails while moderate offroading.. causes vehicle to lower during a huge bounce and damage gas tank, front differential, etc. Damage to one of those parts wouldn't be covered....that's how the warranty reads...I could be mistaken, who knows.

RamRebelSteel

Ram Guru
Reaction score
I had a nut fall off( or maybe wasn't even installed) on a 2018 ram 2500 Cummins that I have and caused my rear lower control arm on the link suspension to almost fall off. I took it to the dealer and they didn't cover a new arm due to the fact that I installed air bag helpers on my truck. The funny thing is that the air bags is a direct bolt on and the only thing you remove to install the bags is the bump stop. It all depends on the service advisor really. I have buddies who are cool with a certain advisor and get their truck warranties drive train wise when they have a supercharger, e85 tune and all kinds of other motor goodies lol

PowerJrod

Ram Guru
Reaction score

Found this text from the Magnuson-Moss act...
"Manufacturer can only deny warranty coverage if it can demonstrate that a non-original equipment part or related service caused a defect to occur in the original product"
Example: AFE CAI let's debris into engine...engine seizes up or gets damaged. Warranty denied. Right? Thought this was interesting...

SD Rebel

Reaction score
Found this text from the Magnuson-Moss act...
"Manufacturer can only deny warranty coverage if it can demonstrate that a non-original equipment part or related service caused a defect to occur in the original product"
Example: AFE CAI let's debris into engine...engine seizes up or gets damaged. Warranty denied. Right? Thought this was interesting...

Absolutely, and trust me, your dealership will try. And not just debris, even how it effects the air and fuel system mixture, which is why I don't have a aftermarket intake. The Mopar one is rather pricey.

PowerJrod

Ram Guru
Reaction score
Absolutely, and trust me, your dealership will try. And not just debris, even how it effects the air and fuel system mixture, which is why I don't have a aftermarket intake. The Mopar one is rather pricey.
Very true same here. Although I was thinking it might be worth the price since it would be covered completely under warranty....tough call.

SD Rebel

Reaction score
Very true same here. Although I was thinking it might be worth the price since it would be covered completely under warranty....tough call.

I will eventually, but I want to do a front level w/ Method wheels first. Then a dealership installed Mopar intake to make sure it's under warranty.

Rollint

Reaction score

My dealer said it won't void the entire warranty but it voids the warranty for items that are damaged due to the lift. for example, if your ball joint starts to fail at 5k miles and you have an aftermarket lift, the balljoint wont be covered if that was the reason the ball joint failed.

Nukegm426

Reaction score
So just a little info on the magnuson-moss stuff... yes it says they can’t deny warranty claims without proving that part is the problem. However what people fail to realize is HOW they go about proving. Courts! You have to sue them under that act to make them prove it.... which then means they have their high priced lawyers spend years fighting you on it. And the whole time your fighting them in court your vehicle will be locked up as evidence. Yes people have won, but they count on people giving up because it’s cheaper to pay yourself for the repair than right them.

PowerJrod

Ram Guru
Reaction score
So just a little info on the magnuson-moss stuff... yes it says they can’t deny warranty claims without proving that part is the problem. However what people fail to realize is HOW they go about proving. Courts! You have to sue them under that act to make them prove it.... which then means they have their high priced lawyers spend years fighting you on it. And the whole time your fighting them in court your vehicle will be locked up as evidence. Yes people have won, but they count on people giving up because it’s cheaper to pay yourself for the repair than right them.
Yep! And most people won't spend that much time fighting something like that. But vehicle wouldn't be locked up as evidence...it's not a homicide investigation lmao!

yoyoman05

Reaction score
I had a 2016 f150 lifted with 35s and transmission went..dealers said they wouldn't cover it because of lift..i fought them. First I paid for new trans because I needed the truck then seen a lawyer..never seen a court room..lots of paperwork with my lawyers and theirs. I won and got reimbursed for the trans and my lawyer..had my truck the whole time..I had to get 3rd party inspections and mechanic statements..

PowerJrod

Ram Guru
Reaction score
I had a 2016 f150 lifted with 35s and transmission went..dealers said they wouldn't cover it because of lift..i fought them. First I paid for new trans because I needed the truck then seen a lawyer..never seen a court room..lots of paperwork with my lawyers and theirs. I won and got reimbursed for the trans and my lawyer..had my truck the whole time..I had to get 3rd party inspections and mechanic statements..
I bet you won't be buying a new Ford anytime soon after that lol

Rollint

Reaction score
Nice! What was the reasoning used to justify that it wasnt the tires?

yoyoman05

Reaction score
They said bigger tires changed the shift points even though I had the speedometer calibrated

Users who are viewing this thread