5thGenRams Forums

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Warranty - a little bummed

MxRacer965

Reaction score
So I bought a 2019 Big Horn CPO 1 month ago. Supposed to have a 3M/3K warranty, and I bought a 12M/12K Max Care as well; factory warranty expired (48K on it). I noticed the window frame cracks (but no leaks yet), steering wheel isn’t wearing well and heat seems mediocre, and the passenger power mirror popped, banged, and crunched. Took it to Zeigler in Grandville, MI (bought from Golling in Chelsea, MI) thinking it would be pretty smooth. Nope, denied all claims except the mirror, charging $100 deductible, and $140 diagnostics for the out of warranty stuff. This seem right?? 2 warranties and neither will cover the window or heated portion of the wheel? Is the CPO warranty also only good at the dealer purchased from? Zeigler sorta made it sound that way.

I did reach out to RamCares to see what they might say. It’s a used vehicle so I know it’s not going to be flawless, but I also figured with 2 warranties I would be covered pretty well…

IvoryHemi

Ram Guru
Reaction score
Window crack - not covered
Leather wear - not covered
Mirror - covered

Sounds right to me other than the $140 diagnosis fee. That’s a bit excessive for items that they didn’t need to spend any time on because they are clearly not covered under MaxCare

MxRacer965

Reaction score
Window crack - not covered
Leather wear - not covered
Mirror - covered

Sounds right to me other than the $140 diagnosis fee. That’s a bit excessive for items that they didn’t need to spend any time on because they are clearly not covered under MaxCare
Window isn’t cracked, the frame is. Same two that has 90+ pages of replies in another thread.

I also didn’t complain about the wear on the wheel, the heating elements on the top don’t work after a short period of time.

I get that appearance items aren’t covered, same for actual glass issues...but the frame and heating elements?

IvoryHemi

Ram Guru
Reaction score
Correct window frame is a no go

Medicore heat is subjective. If it wasn’t working at all it’d be covered

Dlr121

Reaction score
My 2019 is at the dealer right now getting back window replaced and radio replaced.

MxRacer965

Reaction score
Window being taken care of under factory warranty, CPO, or Max Care?

brian42

Ram Guru
Reaction score
As IvoryHemi said the window is not covered under the ESP (Max Care). Since there's a TSB out for it you might find a dealership that is willing to repair it under the TSB and bill Stellantis but I wouldn't hold my breath.

Your deductible should be a one-time fee for the visit. They should not charge you twice for an issue (once for diagnosis and once for repairs) or charge you multiple times for a single visit (diagnostics and repair).

I called Stallantis Customer Care before my first ESP (Max Care) visit to confirm. You pay the deductible per visit, not per item (customer complaints) or function (diagnosis, evaluation, repair).

I took my truck in for 4 items under my Max Care plan. They could not reproduce 2, denied one (said it wasn't covered), and will repair one item. All that cost me $100 because it was one visit to the dealership.

Last edited:

MxRacer965

Reaction score
As IvoryHemi said the window is not covered under the ESP (Max Care). Since there's a TSB out for it you might find a dealership that is willing to repair it under the TSB and bill Stellantis but I wouldn't hold my breath.

Your deductible should be a one-time fee for the visit. They should not charge you twice for an issue (once for diagnosis and once for repairs) or charge you multiple times for a single visit (diagnostics and repair).

I called Stallantis Customer Care before my first ESP (Max Care) visit to confirm. You pay the deductible per visit, not per item (customer complaints) or function (diagnosis, evaluation, repair).

I took my truck in for 4 items under my Max Care plan. They could not reproduce 2, denied one (said it wasn't covered), and will repair one item. All that cost me $100 because it was one visit to the dealership.
Sure, I get that Max Care may not cover the window (saw in another thread people said it doesn't). But what about the CPOV warranty of 3 months/3K miles? Is that only good through the dealer I bought it from? Or would the frame also be excluded in this as well?

The wheel the issue is the heating element (electronic). It goes cold after a few minutes. Seems to me that would indicate an open circuit once things warmed up? Curious as to why that is being denied.

$100 for the deductible per visit I get. I have a 2011 Grand Cherokee Summit with the life time max care so I've used that a couple times. They paid for a $2,800 tab to repair the air suspension on it last year actually. Seems dealer is charging a diagnostic fee for looking at items that were denied warranty coverage. Item I didn't list was transmission threw P0733 code 2 weeks ago and stuck in 3rd gear. Restarted the truck and worked fine since. They looked at that and found no issues.

I haven't had to navigate the labyrinth with a used vehicle and warranties...well...ever. Especially in my case with a couple different coverages.

brian42

Ram Guru
Reaction score
I've never had a CPO warranty before so I have no idea of the intricacies of that.

This is my first new vehicle and ESP so I was very careful to make sure I knew what I was getting into (especially for the price I paid).

As for the wheel I would think that would be covered. Things differ from dealership to dealership. You would think that as long as they are confident they can bill Stellantis (and get paid) that they would do the work as that's guaranteed income. The rub is that the dealership gets the money. While that doesn't go directly to the employees pockets (indirectly via their paycheck) I'm sure each dealership management has different agendas they push to the employees.

Dealership satisfaction seems to be the biggest issue I've seen since I got my RAM a couple of years ago. Sure there are some lemons out there and plenty of people who complain about stuff but that's going to be with any product you buy (not just vehicles). I have 6 RAM dealerships near me and I'd only trust two of them to work on my truck.

You could try another dealership to see if they'll fix the wheel. You're into ESP territory like I am so it's not as easy as going in and seeing if they will fix it or not. Now you are into deductibles so you will have to decide if it's worth a deductible payment to see if someone else will take on the work.

You can always call another dealership (or drop by) and discuss the issue and see if they'll cover it. My dealership is intimately familiar with the Mopar ESP (as should any dealership) and can just about tell me yes or no based on what I describe if I visit them in person.

NGEN

5thGenRams Vendor
5thGenRams Vendor
Reaction score
It's all about proper wording from the service advisor. I am also a service advisor (not for a dealer) and the fact that the heating element within the steering wheel is not working, that is what needs to be focused on, not the wear. It is likely the advisor stated there was "premature wear" which is considered cosmetic. I deal with max care a lot. Take it to another shop (search for a Repair Pal Certified facility - same benefits as using your Max Care Warranty at Carmax). Focus on the fact that your steering wheel does not heat up. Most of the heating elements are built into the steering wheel. If they confirm the heating element in the steering wheel, the only repair will be to replace the steering wheel. I recently did this for a GMC denali with maxcare. This should at least get the steering wheel handled.

As for the rear window, I would take it to the place you purchased it at. If you had a 3 month, 3000 CPO warranty, the fact that the "frame" of the window is the issue, that should be covered.

Hope this information helps you at least get some of this covered.

MxRacer965

Reaction score
After having my truck for a few days they said they would have it done today so I stopped in after lunch. I talked a little more with my service advisor just asking why the heating elements (electrical) in the wheel wouldn’t be covered by either warranty. He gave me a perplexed look and I reminded him I had a CPO warranty and bought a Max Care. He double checked computer and only saw the CPO. Showed him my Max Care stuff I bought and I had a seat. He came back a bit later and said he talked to another claims person who said their computers were down but said it was a 90% likelihood it would be covered by the Max Care. So they went ahead and ordered me a wheel and will install next week…provided the claim is approved. He’s double checking Monday.

Progress.

Neurobit

RAM Sorcerer
Reaction score
As far as I know. If an item is covered by factory warranty, then it's covered by MaxCare.

brian42

Ram Guru
Reaction score
As far as I know. If an item is covered by factory warranty, then it's covered by MaxCare.
Not necessarily true, the rear window being one of them.

The MaxCare doesn't cover glass and is very specific about that. Whether a dealership chooses to enter a grey area and bill Stellantis is a game day hope for you and decision for them.

Users who are viewing this thread