5thGenRams Forums

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Warning lights

Ronbhaines

Reaction score
Got my wheels and tires changed 4 days ago and today I start up the truck and I have abs light, traction control light and parking brake light on the dash. Anyone have this happen? Cure for this.

2019 Ram Bighorn
2.5" level
Fuel Blitz wheels
275-65-20 Duratracs

Scram1500

Spends too much time on here
Reaction score
Could be caused by any number of things, since the wheels and tires were changed it could be a tire pressure monitor but those lights are usually triggered by a malfunction in ABS/wheel speed sensors

yankeefan31569

Ram Guru
Reaction score
after my tires were
rotated by this small shop around the corner 2 days later my rear tire speed sensor went at 19k threw stability/traction control not avail signal and 4 wheel drive not avail, dealer fixed no charge upstate NY Armory Garage

Last edited:

Ronbhaines

Reaction score
I also have the 4 wheel drive not usable message come up also. I will check my sensors tomorrow

2019 Ram Bighorn
2.5" level
Fuel Blitz wheels
275-65-20 Duratracs

Ronbhaines

Reaction score
after my tires were
rotated by this small shop around the corner 2 days later my rear tire speed sensor went at 19k threw stability/traction control not avail signal and 4 wheel drive not avail, dealer fixed no charge upstate NY Armory Garage
I also have the 4 wheel drive not available read out on the screen.

2019 Ram Bighorn
2.5" level
Fuel Blitz wheels
275-65-20 Duratracs

Richard320

Reaction score
LA County, People's Republic of California
If all those lights popped on before the truck started rolling, whatever the fault is, it ain't the wheels. If they messed up a TPMS sensor, that light would come on, but not the rest. If it popped on as soon as things woke up, there's an open or short in something all those systems share. A sensor, or a module. It'll be a warranty item unless they discover the tire installer somehow smashed a sensor or damaged the wiring, in which case you present them with the bill,

Ronbhaines

Reaction score
I got in my truck tonight to go to work and all the lights were gone. Just wait and see if they come back.

2019 Ram Bighorn
2.5" level
Fuel Blitz wheels
275-65-20 Duratracs

st102688

Reaction score
I guess this is the most relevant thread to a similar issue I'm having. I installed new wheels and tires (no level / lift yet) and drove around for about 50 miles with no issues. I was pulling into my neighborhood and under braking the service 4wd system light came on. As I parked at my house I saw the service traction control system and electronic stability control warnings in the cluster.

I'm not completely sure what's relevant but I have Mopar TPMS sensors in the new wheels that seemed to communicate just fine with the truck. I can't imagine the issue stems from anything I could have conceivably done? It was as simple as it gets, jack the truck up and change the wheels!

Part of me hopes it simply goes away. The other part would like some sort of resolution! Whatever the case, I'll give the dealer a call tomorrow and see if I can get in.

Richard320

Reaction score
I guess this is the most relevant thread to a similar issue I'm having. I installed new wheels and tires (no level / lift yet) and drove around for about 50 miles with no issues. I was pulling into my neighborhood and under braking the service 4wd system light came on. As I parked at my house I saw the service traction control system and electronic stability control warnings in the cluster.

I'm not completely sure what's relevant but I have Mopar TPMS sensors in the new wheels that seemed to communicate just fine with the truck. I can't imagine the issue stems from anything I could have conceivably done? It was as simple as it gets, jack the truck up and change the wheels!

Part of me hopes it simply goes away. The other part would like some sort of resolution! Whatever the case, I'll give the dealer a call tomorrow and see if I can get in.
Rule of thumb: the last thing you worked on is the first thing to look at.

Did you change the overall diameter without reprogramming? ABS/ESC, and Auto4WD engagement work by sensing wheel movement. A certain amount of slippage is allowed and expected, and then things go crazy. If it senses a wheel locking up and releases that wheel but it doesn't speed up as expected, on with the light and systems get deactivated. Or if something should be slowing but doesn't meet the parameters, same thing. A big heavy tire will have more inertia so things won't behave the way they used to.

Along similar lines, if the new wheels are wider, without enough offset, the new tire could have worn through a harness somewhere.

st102688

Reaction score
Appreciate the response Richard.

I went up to a 295/70R18 with -12mm Fuel Shoks. I made sure to check clearance behind each tire to ensure nothing was going to rub.

As for the slippage/ lock up statement, I'm not sure if my simpleton brain can keep up. I have not had anything reprogrammed. Is this something I can have the dealer do?

Richard320

Reaction score
Appreciate the response Richard.

I went up to a 295/70R18 with -12mm Fuel Shoks. I made sure to check clearance behind each tire to ensure nothing was going to rub.

As for the slippage/ lock up statement, I'm not sure if my simpleton brain can keep up. I have not had anything reprogrammed. Is this something I can have the dealer do?
Yes. They should be able to reprogram it.

I just checked on tirerack and it looks like you increased the diameter by about 8%. So the speedometer, the odometer, and the mpg calculator will all be off by about that much. Your transmission shift points may come at odd times, as well. And 8% is probably a big enough variance to throw ABS and such into a tizzy. Remember, computers aren't good at reasoning things out. If the parameter says the limit is 20 revolutions and you go 21, that's enough to trigger a warning light for any system that uses it.

st102688

Reaction score
Seems pretty odd that others have done the exact same wheel / tire size combo but I don't find any reports of it happening. I drove the truck this morning and I now only have the service trailer brake control and electronic stability control. I'll touch base with the dealer when they open this morning. Whatever the case, I'll be reporting back.

st102688

Reaction score
After 3 days all of the lights disappeared. No clue why or how, but they went away and have stayed that way.

Reactions: c3k

Jp306

Reaction score
I have had numerous warning lights go off on the dash as well on several occasions (4wd, trailer brakes, parking brake, TCS, air bags). All times but one was on start up, no movement and still in park, in cold winter temps.

Same kind of conditions sometimes it is my heated wheel and seats that don't function and the fan won't pump air. No resolution thus far.

Users who are viewing this thread