5thGenRams Forums

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

warmer days in the northeast

yankeefan31569

Ram Guru
Reaction score
got warm here in the communist state of ny the other day, i always up my air in the winter in the tires, normally anywhere
from 38 to 40, my question is does the tps come
on when theres too much air? i knw when ive
added air in the past my horn would beep once to let me know, this is from the other day..

Attachments

• F2C4DC7D-32DA-4DE2-89DC-B956FE4B8351.jpeg
    F2C4DC7D-32DA-4DE2-89DC-B956FE4B8351.jpeg
    110.4 KB · Views: 44
  • 9F53A0C7-9610-4825-B848-C5FC44F3736A.jpeg
    9F53A0C7-9610-4825-B848-C5FC44F3736A.jpeg
    96.4 KB · Views: 43

Kaderast

Reaction score
I don't believe there is an alert for too much air pressure. My truck came delivered with 50 psi in the tires! I drove it for a week before I realized it, and never remember seeing any alerts or notifications from the truck that they were overfilled.

LouNY

Reaction score
Why do you air your tires up above the minimum on the door label unless your heavily loaded.
Seems like it will only wear out the center of the tires faster and ride a bit rougher, I guess your lielage will be a bit better.
I generaly bring mine up close to desired on a cold day and then let it go.

Idahoktm

Spends too much time on here
Reaction score
got warm here in the communist state of ny the other day, i always up my air in the winter in the tires, normally anywhere
from 38 to 40, my question is does the tps come
on when theres too much air? i knw when ive
added air in the past my horn would beep once to let me know, this is from the other day..
If you have Tire Fill Alert, it will tell you if your tires are filled to the recommended pressure or if they are overfilled.

Last edited:

FLiPMaRC

Ram Guru
Reaction score
Why do you air your tires up above the minimum on the door label unless your heavily loaded.
Seems like it will only wear out the center of the tires faster and ride a bit rougher, I guess your lielage will be a bit better.
I generaly bring mine up close to desired on a cold day and then let it go.
Same here. My door label says 36psi and that's what I keep mine on. When I first brought it home from the dealer, they had it on 41psi.

mikeru82

Legendary member
Reaction score
Go with the pressures recommended listed on the door label for normal street use. You may need to add some in cold weather, and adjust back down when it warms up. For hauling loads or off road use, adjust to the appropriate pressures and ignore any TPMS warnings.

ferraiolo1

Reaction score
Unless you have a different rated tire than what came on your truck. Use the door sticker psi. Anymore or less will cause premature wear.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

yankeefan31569

Ram Guru
Reaction score
at 36psi when its 10 degrees out my
tires w be down to 30 or 32 and sensors w come on here in upstate ny..i dont haul anything but an atv on a 5x8 trailer, maybe the cold weather guys get it...thanks all for chiming in guys/girls...

ferraiolo1

Reaction score
I’m in upstate Pa. We have similar weather as you, maybe the tire gauge you’re using isn’t the greatest or the air you’re using has a crap ton of moisture. I usually only have to change mine once a year as it’s usually only a few psi off between summer and winter.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Jako

Reaction score
tires w be down to 30 or 32 and sensors w come on here in upstate ny..i dont haul anything but an atv on a 5x8 trailer, maybe the cold weather guys get it...thanks all for chiming in guys/girls...
Not sure when/where you do the 36 psi but this is info from the 2019 owner's manual:
"Check tire pressures more often if subject to a wide range of outdoor temperatures, as tire pressures vary with temperature changes. Tire pressures change by approximately 1 psi (7 kPa) per 12°F (7°C) of air temperature change. Keep this in mind when checking tire pressure inside a garage, especially in the Winter. Example: If garage temperature = 68°F (20°C) and the outside temperature = 32°F (0°C) then the cold tire inflation pressure should be increased by 3 psi (21 kPa), which equals 1 psi (7 kPa) for every 12°F (7°C) for this outside temperature condition."

FLiPMaRC

Ram Guru
Reaction score
We are talking about "Cold Tire Pressure", not running tire pressure. You have to set your tire pressure to 36psi when your vehicle has been sitting for at least an hour. The tire pressure will increase while you're running, which is fine. In the winter, with my cold tire pressure set at 36psi, my running tire pressure is around 39-40psi.

Jako

Reaction score
Never "tested / experimented" with tire pressure as far as miles or hours but this is from page 523 of 2019 owner's manual,
"Inflation pressures specified on the placard are always “cold tire inflation pressure”. Cold tire inflation pressure is defined as the tire pressure after the vehicle has not been driven for at least three hours, or driven less than 1 mile (1.6 km) after sitting for a minimum of three hours. The cold tire inflation pressure must not exceed the maximum inflation pressure molded into the tire sidewall."

Rlaf75

Takes potshots
Reaction score
I'm in CT and I run 40psi year round regardless of what the door sticker says. I never had a problem and I get pretty good mileage out of a set of tires with regular rotation

Jako

Reaction score
:ROFLMAO: Okay, I stand corrected. It's 3 hours.
3 hours seems long but I have never "experimented" with my tire pressure. I do try to take temperature into consideration when the seasons change. The take away is to be aware of "hot tires" and changes in weather in relation to maintaining tire pressure.
If you tested me before going to the owner's manual I couldn't tell you what was the time listed in the manual or the "1 mile".

Now you got me wondering what my other owner's manuals say if anything at all. :unsure: :D

yankeefan31569

Ram Guru
Reaction score
I'm in CT and I run 40psi year round regardless of what the door sticker says. I never had a problem and I get pretty good mileage out of a set of tires with regular rotation
thanks man, you guys all got it...

Users who are viewing this thread