5thGenRams Forums

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Warm up piston slap?

dork17

Reaction score
The 5-6 clicks I think is normal for a cold start, I hear it on almost every cold start 2019 or newer Ram exhaust video. Mine does it every time with the same consistency and time between clicks as do the ones in the videos.

Couldn’t make out anything from the second video though. I have appointment to drop mine off at the dealer next week for them to take a look at my cold knock. Will report back on their findings.
Any update on what you found out? Mine makes the same noise.

23RAM

Reaction score
I may have something similar. I hear 5-7 loud clicks/ticks during startup every time both cold and warm.
I believe those are mechanical noises from the air dam shutters doing a cycle test after start up.

CNC99

Reaction score
Any update? I have the same sound, most people responding are missing the sound he is actually talking about. Correct me if I am wrong OP, but if you listen there is more of a clunking sound for a lack of better words. I’ve had both manifolds crack and leak and this is an entirely different sound. Mine personally sounds more of lower end clunk/knock. Haven been able to pin point it yet, but it seems to be coming from the bottom of the engine when I poke around with my stethoscope. Haven’t dropped the pan to check for play in the rods. But might be the next step.

silver billet

Spends too much time on here
Reaction score
Any update? I have the same sound, most people responding are missing the sound he is actually talking about. Correct me if I am wrong OP, but if you listen there is more of a clunking sound for a lack of better words. I’ve had both manifolds crack and leak and this is an entirely different sound. Mine personally sounds more of lower end clunk/knock. Haven been able to pin point it yet, but it seems to be coming from the bottom of the engine when I poke around with my stethoscope. Haven’t dropped the pan to check for play in the rods. But might be the next step.

You're definitely right, its not exhaust manifolds as that is definitely a tick. My truck makes the noise in OP's video as well, I think the whole "goes away when hot" thing leads people to suggest manifolds as that's typical there too. My guess on this over the course of 4 years digging into it is "piston slap" but if you find anything else please keep us posted here.

Funny enough, I've been running 5w-30 or 0w-30 for a few years, when I mentioned this noise in passing to a mechanic he suggested going back to 5w-20 to see if it makes a difference. Changed my oil 2 weeks ago to 5w-20 and if anything the problem is now worse with the same outside/ambient temps.

I hate that sound so I generally don't idle it when cold. When my engine is hot its smooth as butter and whisper quiet, so I have to think if it was lifter issues or anything serious it would make the same noise when it's hot which it doesn't. So I'm not worried per se, but I'd still like to have a definitive answer as to what that noise is.

silver billet

Reaction score
piston slap also gets amplified under load, and usually fades when rpms come down. can you take a sound clip while someone is revving it?

My noise definitely gets a little more pronounced when I put it in drive.

I've also noticed this from day 1 (within a few weeks of picking it up new after the honeymoon wears off and you start noticing "issues" lol). So again I don't think it's lifter damage or anything that is "worn", because it was a brand new engine making that noise.

CNC99

Reaction score
You're definitely right, its not exhaust manifolds as that is definitely a tick. My truck makes the noise in OP's video as well, I think the whole "goes away when hot" thing leads people to suggest manifolds as that's typical there too. My guess on this over the course of 4 years digging into it is "piston slap" but if you find anything else please keep us posted here.

Funny enough, I've been running 5w-30 or 0w-30 for a few years, when I mentioned this noise in passing to a mechanic he suggested going back to 5w-20 to see if it makes a difference. Changed my oil 2 weeks ago to 5w-20 and if anything the problem is now worse with the same outside/ambient temps.

I hate that sound so I generally don't idle it when cold. When my engine is hot its smooth as butter and whisper quiet, so I have to think if it was lifter issues or anything serious it would make the same noise when it's hot which it doesn't. So I'm not worried per se, but I'd still like to have a definitive answer as to what that noise is.
My knock is there regardless of temperature. Cold start it is there, after driving for an hour it is still there. It’s actually more noticeable once the truck is fully warmed up because all the usual cold start noises have subsided.

silver billet

Reaction score
My knock is there regardless of temperature. Cold start it is there, after driving for an hour it is still there. It’s actually more noticeable once the truck is fully warmed up because all the usual cold start noises have subsided.

What oil are you running? I know for sure my engine quieted down once I switched to Redline 5w-30.

I would try drain a bit of your current fill, then add 1 bottle of Biotech LubeGuard. It should boost your moly considerably and maybe quiet things down, worth a shot.

CNC99

Reaction score
What oil are you running? I know for sure my engine quieted down once I switched to Redline 5w-30.

I would try drain a bit of your current fill, then add 1 bottle of Biotech LubeGuard. It should boost your moly considerably and maybe quiet things down, worth a shot.
I run redline 5w30 as well. I have also experimented running lubeguards Bio/tech. While at one point it all really helped quiet it down this sound has resurfaced. But as for the rest of the valve train noise it has significantly improved those noises. However not this noise coming from down under. Honestly I think it has made it “worse” because everything else has gotten so much quieter since switching to redline that now this knock is the only noise that’s really left that is abnormal.

jpl2398

Reaction score
My 2019 Ram with 51k miles now has been making this sound at idle, but only while it’s warming up. Truck has very low idle time (127 idle hours). Sound is completely gone once warmed up. First noticed it around 30k mile mark. Truck runs strong and smooth, taken on several road trips and gets great mileage. Doesn’t miss a beat.

I’m leaning toward piston slap since as things warm up and expand the sound goes away. I feel like a failed lifter you would always hear. If it was a roller failure I don’t think it would have made it 20k miles now. You can also have a lifter that’s weak hydraulically, but I would think it would pump up after a quick drive to get good oil pressure and not routinely take until full warm up. Thoughts?

Cracked exhaust manifold. Very common 2019/2020

jonnygobig

Reaction score
Done both manifolds on my 2019 did this passenger on 3rd Gen too, same mileage under warranty. Stallantics have a full program and safety stock kits staged, it is that bad. Passenger twice on my 3rd Gen, if stealership is not looking closely they think all bolts are tight, usually rear bolt closest to outlet breaks top head off but stays there hanging by heat shield. I had one cracked manifold we found with dye penetrant, this sounds more like what you might have. At higher rpm initially it doesn’t tick, then ticks then seals up once it expands, But unless you can see carbon deposit…doubt dealership took off heat shield. Hope this helps, for a couple couple hundred bucks you can just replace gaskets and put higher grade bolts proactively, might give you piece of mind, or if you got some money, headers, kinda wish I did that. Hope this helps, until then remote start and turn up music. You won’t hear it.

dork17

Reaction score
I'm wondering if you know for certain that the entire manifold itself was replaced. Some people seem to be adamant that this is a cracked manifold sound, and replacing the actual manifold solved it.

I only ask because when I had broken manifold bolts, and when the dealer fixed them they said "we replaced the exhaust manifold". When I took a look at it afterwards, they had not actually replaced the manifold itself. They repaired the broken heat shield bolts and possibly replaced the manifold gasket. I have the same noise as you and am wondering if I need to look at the manifold itself to look for a crack.

My point is that their wording for replacing a broken stud seems to be commonly worded as "repairing the exhaust manifold" which is not actually what they do 99% of the time.

CNC99

Reaction score
I'm wondering if you know for certain that the entire manifold itself was replaced. Some people seem to be adamant that this is a cracked manifold sound, and replacing the actual manifold solved it.

I only ask because when I had broken manifold bolts, and when the dealer fixed them they said "we replaced the exhaust manifold". When I took a look at it afterwards, they had not actually replaced the manifold itself. They repaired the broken heat shield bolts and possibly replaced the manifold gasket. I have the same noise as you and am wondering if I need to look at the manifold itself to look for a crack.

My point is that their wording for replacing a broken stud seems to be commonly worded as "repairing the exhaust manifold" which is not actually what they do 99% of the time.
I’ve heard some others say the same. My attempt to solve this problem is I always ask for them to keep the old parts for me. Or in some instances I will actually hangout and watch them from the waiting area. In the case of my manifolds they replaced both at the same time and since the dealership is an hour away I hung out for the 45 minutes to an hour it took them. Nonetheless they definitely replaced mine, but the knock that OP posted and that I have are drastically different than the tick that the leaking manifolds make. I think most people are just hearing the louder normal engine noises and failing to hear the more pronounced knock that seems to get drowned out in videos by the other engine noises. It’s much more noticeable in person regardless if the truck is hot or not. It sounds more like a rod knock but quieter and slower if that makes sense.

Haully11

Reaction score
here are two videos of mine from a week or so ago. Been to dealers several times. I either get told it sounds normal or they couldn't reproduce the sound. My powertrain ran out in September. Only have 50k on the truck. Don't know what to do.

theblet

Legendary member
Reaction score
here are two videos of mine from a week or so ago. Been to dealers several times. I either get told it sounds normal or they couldn't reproduce the sound. My powertrain ran out in September. Only have 50k on the truck. Don't know what to do.

Doesn’t sound like a manifold leak to be. Somethings knocking

dork17

Reaction score
I’ve heard some others say the same. My attempt to solve this problem is I always ask for them to keep the old parts for me. Or in some instances I will actually hangout and watch them from the waiting area. In the case of my manifolds they replaced both at the same time and since the dealership is an hour away I hung out for the 45 minutes to an hour it took them. Nonetheless they definitely replaced mine, but the knock that OP posted and that I have are drastically different than the tick that the leaking manifolds make. I think most people are just hearing the louder normal engine noises and failing to hear the more pronounced knock that seems to get drowned out in videos by the other engine noises. It’s much more noticeable in person regardless if the truck is hot or not. It sounds more like a rod knock but quieter and slower if that makes sense.
Yeah, I hear ya. I have this sound but have not had my manifolds replaced, and haven't taken the time to visually inspect them yet either so maybe I'm just an optimist hoping that's what it is. I have this exact noise as well, and logic tells me that it's something internal as well. Some with the same noise have claimed it is piston slap, which is annoying but fairly harmless I suppose.

theblet

Legendary member
Reaction score
Yeah, I hear ya. I have this sound but have not had my manifolds replaced, and haven't taken the time to visually inspect them yet either so maybe I'm just an optimist hoping that's what it is. I have this exact noise as well, and logic tells me that it's something internal as well. Some with the same noise have claimed it is piston slap, which is annoying but fairly harmless I suppose.
Faulty valvetrain components can sound similar to this as well.

JLaw297

Reaction score
Dealer replaced both my manifolds. Still have this noise while the engine is warming up, then it’s gone.

kapinallinen2

5thGenRams Supporter
Site Supporter
Reaction score
This is a cold start with two broken manifold bolts, it quiets down after idling about 3 minutes.

edit: not sure why hitting the play button comes up with an error, seems to play fine when I hit the "watch on you-tube"

JLaw297

Reaction score
This is a cold start with two broken manifold bolts, it quiets down after idling about 3 minutes.

edit: not sure why hitting the play button comes up with an error, seems to play fine when I hit the "watch on you-tube"

Yeah that sounds like a straight exhaust leak. The scenario I have is when you start it up everything sounds fine, then once it idles down to normal levels you start hearing the knocking (see my vid in very first post). The knocking slowly gets softer as the truck warms up until it can’t be heard anymore and the truck is fully warm. Baffles me. Been like this for 45,000 miles now. Full synthetic oil every 5k. Both manifolds replaced and no change. 75k total miles with only 165 idle hours. I’ve come to the conclusion that something has a little more clearance than it should until things are warm and fully expanded. Failing lifter or cam should’ve been wiped out at this point given how many miles it’s gone on for.

Scram1500

Reaction score
Hopefully that’s the case, but doesn’t sound like an exhaust leak at all to me.

Here’s a better video -

Yeah that sounds like a straight exhaust leak. The scenario I have is when you start it up everything sounds fine, then once it idles down to normal levels you start hearing the knocking (see my vid in very first post). The knocking slowly gets softer as the truck warms up until it can’t be heard anymore and the truck is fully warm. Baffles me. Been like this for 45,000 miles now. Full synthetic oil every 5k. Both manifolds replaced and no change. 75k total miles with only 165 idle hours. I’ve come to the conclusion that something has a little more clearance than it should until things are warm and fully expanded. Failing lifter or cam should’ve been wiped out at this point given how many miles it’s gone on for.
I have the same exact sound. No noise initially but comes on as it's warming up. What's strange is that it only happens once in a while. Still need to poke around the manifold to rule that out. Another possibility is a cracked flex plate

Users who are viewing this thread