5thGenRams Forums

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Wanting to go from 3” lift to 3/5 lowered on ORP truck.

Bctexascrazy1

Reaction score
I’ve had a change of heart on my 21 night edition. As of right now I’m running the bilstein 5100s front and rear with the fronts set at max which I believe is 2.8 and in the rear I’ve got a 1” coil spacer along with front upper readylift UCA’s riding on stock wheels with 295/65/20s. Well I seen a lowered 5th gen other day and just drooled and made me miss the old era with lowered trucks. I’ve been eyeing the IHC 3/5 kit for my truck, but I’m curious how it will work with the orp springs, their kit replaced the rear coil but you maintain factory front. I’m curious if I need to get coil springs off a non orp truck to run with this kit and also if I could use my bilstein struts still and just set the perch at stock settings? I do also have a hellwig rear sway bar which I love and hope I can still use it. Their kit also comes with rear springs/shocks , which I wonder if bilstein offers a shock to accommodate the lowering kit. I hate mix matching shocks cause I feel u get 2 different ride quality’s and not make the vehicle ride as efficient. If anybody’s got an info on this would be greatly appreciated.

CHeYeNNe71

Ram Guru
Reaction score
Yes, you will need non-ORG front coils.

The IHC kit uses the arms to lower if I remember? If so you can reuse your front Bilstein.
Bilstein does not make a lowering anything for our trucks, BUT with some research you can find a rear shock to work most likely. You will need to know the compressed/extended length needed and the proper bushings/sleeves for lower mount. You can use the shocks that come with kit for reference on sizes needed. I did this years ago for my 6" lift on my 17 RAM with Bilstein 5160's. Sometimes emailing Bilstein will get you the proper bushing and sleeve part numbers.
Go with Core4X4 rear control arms, panhard and sway bar links. You'll get to re-use the Hellwig.

Bilstein Universal Search

Quick reference for guys using shocks with 4" lowering Ford Ranger 24-185684 Bilstein Specs

1702584785794.png

These MIGHT work with going lower.....

1702584706901.png

1702587568071.png

CONFIRM AND RESEARCH everything first

Last edited:

Bctexascrazy1

Reaction score
Yes, you will need non-ORG front coils.

The IHC kit uses the arms to lower if I remember? If so you can reuse your front Bilstein.
Bilstein does not make a lowering anything for our trucks, BUT with some research you can find a rear shock to work most likely. You will need to know the compressed/extended length needed and the proper bushings/sleeves for lower mount. You can use the shocks that come with kit for reference on sizes needed. I did this years ago for my 6" lift on my 17 RAM with Bilstein 5160's. Sometimes emailing Bilstein will get you the proper bushing and sleeve part numbers.
Go with Core4X4 rear control arms, panhard and sway bar links. You'll get to re-use the Hellwig.

Bilstein Universal Search

Quick reference for guys using shocks with 4" lowering Ford Ranger 24-185684 Bilstein Specs

View attachment 172726

These MIGHT work with going lower.....

View attachment 172725

View attachment 172727

CONFIRM AND RESEARCH everything first
I’ve tried reaching out to bilstein, but no luck! I’d like to find some matching shocks for ride quality

Rock Crawler

Ram Guru
Reaction score
I’ve had a change of heart on my 21 night edition. As of right now I’m running the bilstein 5100s front and rear with the fronts set at max which I believe is 2.8 and in the rear I’ve got a 1” coil spacer along with front upper readylift UCA’s riding on stock wheels with 295/65/20s. Well I seen a lowered 5th gen other day and just drooled and made me miss the old era with lowered trucks. I’ve been eyeing the IHC 3/5 kit for my truck, but I’m curious how it will work with the orp springs, their kit replaced the rear coil but you maintain factory front. I’m curious if I need to get coil springs off a non orp truck to run with this kit and also if I could use my bilstein struts still and just set the perch at stock settings? I do also have a hellwig rear sway bar which I love and hope I can still use it. Their kit also comes with rear springs/shocks , which I wonder if bilstein offers a shock to accommodate the lowering kit. I hate mix matching shocks cause I feel u get 2 different ride quality’s and not make the vehicle ride as efficient. If anybody’s got an info on this would be greatly appreciated.

Are you doing the install yourself? If so, I highly recommend removing the rear axle assembly to install the cut kit. I did mine on the truck and it was a PIA. It would have been much easier and been a cleaner install if I had removed the axle.

MC6533

Reaction score
Look at my lowering post. Much the same as yours. I was not at max height on front, a little higher than level. As Rock Crawler said it is much easier if you drop the rear axle out. I don't have a lift at home, but I was able to get the rear of my truck high enough to set the rear end on jackstands and do the cutting. It was still a little PIA but I like the end results.
I set the front Bilstein to the lowest (factory setting) and it came out fine. I have used the IHC rear shocks for now with no issues. You need to follow the IHC instructions and completely cut off your rear bump stops. The closest thing after your bump stops is the exhaust as it runs over the panhard bar. I will probably look into updating my rear shocks eventually.

Bctexascrazy1

Reaction score
Are you doing the install yourself? If so, I highly recommend removing the rear axle assembly to install the cut kit. I did mine on the truck and it was a PIA. It would have been much easier and been a cleaner install if I had removed the axle.
Yes I’m going install myself, I’m thinking bout ordering the belltech kit with coilovers, but regardless which ever way I go I got to replace my springs

Users who are viewing this thread