5thGenRams Forums

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Want to change brake pads on my 2020 Laramie

Lungs414

Reaction score
Assuming rotors are fine can they be used with Power Stop Z36 pads ? The rotors seem fine. But will check better when I remove the wheels.

TIA

Darksteel165

Legendary member
Reaction score
Assuming rotors are fine can they be used with Power Stop Z36 pads ? The rotors seem fine. But will check better when I remove the wheels.

TIA
Not sure what your exact question is

In theory you can use any pads with any rotors, depending on slots or holes depends on how much/where dust goes.
Personally I get pads from Autozone for a lifetime warranty and no longer pay for break pads for the life of the truck.

If you can get your fingernail caught on the rotors dragging it out then you likely need rotors, or if you like let your wear sensors dig into em. Should be smooth like glass.

How many miles on the truck?

djevox

VP of Creative Thinking
Staff member
Site Supporter
Reaction score
You should have the rotors turned (machined) ASSUMING you’ve checked thickness with a micrometer and it’s in spec. Even new rotors out of the box need to be turned. It’s a flip of the coin whether they are straight or not. Will you have a problem 100% of the time? No, but the potential is there.

Darksteel165

Legendary member
Reaction score
You should have the rotors turned (machined) ASSUMING you’ve checked thickness with a micrometer and it’s in spec. Even new rotors out of the box need to be turned. It’s a flip of the coin whether they are straight or not. Will you have a problem 100% of the time? No, but the potential is there.
Never had my rotors machined and I never had a problem.
These arent track cars I really don't think it matters.

Getting them resurfaced isn't worth the money assuming you even find a place that will do it.

djevox

VP of Creative Thinking
Staff member
Site Supporter
Reaction score

Getting them resurfaced isn't worth the money assuming you even find a place that will do it.
I’m not going to argue with anyone about it- everyone’s free to do what they want. My advice is worth the price charged.

BowDown

Spends too much time on here
Reaction score

A lot of people wouldn't recognize the problems if they had them; steering wheel shake, vibration that doesn't go away no matter how much they re-balance the tires, vehicle pulls to one side under braking, reduced braking performance due to the rotors having hot spots and being glazed but it depends on the person.

I replace or turn the rotors every other brake job and if a person lives and drives in the city a lot, the rotors will not meet minimum thickness within 40-50K miles.
Looking at 5th gen Ram wheels, I believe this truck will consume rotors faster than one might think, the wheels rarely have any brake dust on them which tells me that the rotor is being worn at a higher rate than normal vs a wheel covered with brake dust which means that the pads are the sacrificial element.

UnloosedChewtoy

5thGenRams Supporter
Site Supporter
Reaction score

TIA
Ignoring the rotors debate, yes, these pads work well. I've had them for many months on the front wheels without issue. Power Stop Z36-2179.

I accidentally contaminated my factory pads while trying to get rid of the infamous brake clip squeak with less than 10k miles. So I installed just new pads. I was prepared to get new rotors as well if I had to, but truck stops well without any negative symptoms, so I'm leaving it for now. (And new clips with a bit of appropriate grease underneath stopped the squeaks.)

djevox

VP of Creative Thinking
Staff member
Site Supporter
Reaction score
I accidentally contaminated my factory pads while trying to get rid of the infamous brake clip squeak with less than 10k miles. So I installed just new pads. I was prepared to get new rotors as well if I had to, but truck stops well without any negative symptoms, so I'm leaving it for now. (And new clips with a bit of appropriate grease underneath stopped the squeaks.)
Just in case you weren’t aware, crc disc brake quiet on the back of pads and ultra disc brake lube on all sliding parts will ensure quietness. (With the exception of pad to rotor squeal when cold)

UnloosedChewtoy

5thGenRams Supporter
Site Supporter
Reaction score
Just in case you weren’t aware, crc disc brake quiet on the back of pads and ultra disc brake lube on all sliding parts will ensure quietness. (With the exception of pad to rotor squeal when cold)
If I had done it the right way the first time, yes, this would have been all that was needed. However, I tried cheating/being lazy, and spraying various lubes onto the clips without taking the wheels off or the brakes apart. This is how I accidentally got my pads contaminated, and made them noisier.

Dewey

Spends too much time on here
Reaction score
When I had my Chevy’s warped rotors from heat was extremely common. The ones from the factory were absolute junk and always had to be replaced.

Since owning RAM’s I have never seen a reason to replace my rotors over the last 4 brake jobs front and rear. Also including rear parking brake shoes. Always looked great with no warpage or grooves in them. Cleaned them up with brake cleaner, lubed the slides and installed new pads. Zero issues whatsoever and brakes always feel like new from the factory again.

Last edited:

Lungs414

Reaction score
Getting them put in today. $75 to install from my mechanic. Not even worth it for me to do myself for that price.

Rlaf75

Takes potshots
Reaction score
To answer the OP's original question, yes, those brake pads will work as long as they are the correct ones listed for the truck.

Malodave

Ram Guru
Reaction score
I do two brake pad sets to each rotor set. So every other Brake job, I get new rotors too.

Malodave

Users who are viewing this thread