5thGenRams Forums

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Want to add lights in back of truck.....

MidnightExpre$$

Ram Guru
Reaction score
I want to add lights in the back of my truck. I want them to go on when in reverse, but I also want them to go on with a switch so I can use them while the truck is still in park as well. Actually, I would settle for just the switch activation if it cant be done to operate with reverse and switch. My BigHorn has the switch panel under the 12inch display. It only has 4 switches in use. Would I be able to change to this 5 switch group (picture below) and use the additional switch for the lights I add?

1656375997003.png
@Jimmy07

Last edited:

Bigbags85

Reaction score
If you're willing to put the switch in a different spot you can wire an SPDT switch to the reverse lights.

MidnightExpre$$

Ram Guru
Reaction score

So you are saying to forget adding the switch assembly in the dash and go wireless instead. Not a bad Idea.

I wouldn't be able to use the homelink buttons. They are already linked to my 3 garage doors and I wouldn't want to give up access to one of them. But using a fob (that I could probably find a way to mount to my visor like a regular garage door opener remote) would work fine. I am looking to run this light set-up below. I would mount it on the bottom of the license plate (with the lights on the side of the plate) instead of mounting on the top of the plate to insure it does not make contact with the tailgate when it is lowered.

1656383965466.png

MidnightExpre$$

Ram Guru
Reaction score
If you're willing to put the switch in a different spot you can wire an SPDT switch to the reverse lights.

SPDT switch?

EDIT - never mind - I looked it up.

I didn't really want to add a switch that didn't look OEM. That is why I was wondering if it would be possible to change out my 4 switch assembly to the 5 switch one and utilized the extra switch to operate the lights. It would still look stock/factory.

Last edited:

Jako

Spends too much time on here
Reaction score
I want to add lights in the back of my truck. I want them to go on when in reverse, but I also want them to go on with a switch so I can use them while the truck is still in park as well. Actually, I would settle for just the switch activation if it cant be done to operate with reverse and switch. My BigHorn has the switch panel under the 12inch display. It only has 4 switches in use. Would I be able to change to this 5 switch group (picture below) and use the additional switch for the lights I add?

View attachment 133288
@Jimmy07
I wired a DPDT switch so I have a set of lights on my tail gate and the auxillary reverse lights on at the same time, also a sepeate set of LED lights in bed on another switch.
page 19, post 364

Malodave

Ram Guru
Reaction score
I made a switch panel that replaces the Sunglass Cubby in the Overhead Console.
Malodave

Original Thread

Attachments

• LaramieSwitchPanelV3.jpg
    LaramieSwitchPanelV3.jpg
    80.6 KB · Views: 32
  • RAM-DT_Switch_Console.jpg
    RAM-DT_Switch_Console.jpg
    64.6 KB · Views: 32

Users who are viewing this thread