5thGenRams Forums

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Walkthrough of my V6/Rambox quote and order process

habu987

Stormageddon, Dark Lord of All
Reaction score
**I figured I'd start this thread to walk through my ordering process from start to finish, in case it would be educational for anyone else out there.**

Background

Ordering for the v6 eTorque opened this week, so after some fantastic help from @JRS200x I started reaching out to local dealers asking for price quotes for the configuration listed in my signature.

There are a metric f-ton of dealers within an "easy" commuting range of Northern Virginia (the commute around here is never actually easy), so I limited my initial outreach to the 20 (!) dealers whithin ~30 miles of me. If I expand that search out to 50 miles, that number goes upwards of 30 dealers. I'm going to keep those in my back pocket as a last resort if I'm unable to find any good deals with the first group of dealers.

Initial outreach

For three of the dealers, I was able to get the email contact info for the internet sales manager on their website, so I reached directly out to them. For the other 17 dealers, I just used the "Contact Us" form on their website.

For all of 'em, I sent a quick note saying that I was planning to place a factory order within the next two weeks and was checking with all the local dealers to find the best deal (letting them know the pressure is on!). I included a bulleted list of my configuration and said I looked forward to their price quote.

I'll be doing a trade-in, too, but will keep that out of the picture until I go in to the dealership to close the deal down the road. I want any price quotes to be just about the truck itself, no extraneous line items to muddy the numbers.

Initial responses

Well, ya know that low bar for salesman performance/knowledge we've referenced multiple times on these forums? Yeah, holding true here for 5 of the 11 dealers who've responded so far. Haven't gotten any price quotes yet, but here are the gems from those lowest common denominators:
  • The RamBox won't be in production until November
  • The v6 isn't available with the 3.55 rear axle
  • The v6 is not available with the Laramie, Longhorn, or Limited
  • The Advanced Safety Group is unavailable for ordering
  • Are there any colors you're not interested in?
  • Thank you for contacting us about the [VEH_NAME]!
Baseline price

Again, @JRS200x has been incredibly helpful and ran a POC for me so I could have a baseline before all of the dealer BS.
Pomoco CJDR POC image.JPG

Price quotes

I'll continue to update this section with 'em as they start to roll in.
  • Dealer #1: $59,385 - incentives + TTL + $? processing fee
  • Dealer #2: $57,029 - incentives + TTL + $? processing fee After providing an initial quote via email, the sales manager changed his tune and said he'd only provide an official sales quote in person or via phone, so ixnay on atthay.
  • Dealer #3: $60,429 - incentives + TTL + $? processing fee
  • Dealer #4: $57,885 - incentives + TTL + $699 processing fee
  • Dealer #5: $58,885 - incentives + TTL + $699 processing fee
  • Dealer #6: $56,623 - incentives + TTL + $699 processing fee

Last edited:

habu987

Reaction score
One dealer wouldn't put anything in writing and said they'd only discuss the build in person or via phone.

One down, 19 to go...

habu987

Reaction score
Koons is probably the most honest of all the dealers in your area habu, as an fyi.
That's one of the dealerships I'm still waiting on a price quote from, thanks!

habu987

Reaction score
Starting to get more quotes coming in, with one clear winner so far and a $3800 spread between the best and worst quotes so far.

Not super happy with the apparently standard $699 processing fee the overwhelming majority of dealers around here have, but looks like it's the price you gotta pay to play the game.

habu987

Reaction score
Thats not awful really.. plenty are much higher than that.
Yeah, I know I've definitely seen worse (friend of mine paid $1099 on a car he bought last year). Still $699 outta my pocket, though :)

habu987

Reaction score
Welp, its kind of a result of people thinking that dealers shouldn't make any profit and are being unreasonable with their 6% markups... had to find profit somewhere... Massive processing fees are it.
As a business owner myself, I totally get the profit issue...but I'm also a selfish consumer who'd love to have the dealer effectively pay me to buy the vehicle!

SI_DSiWare_TheMysteriousCaseOfDrJekyllAndMrHyde.jpg

habu987

Reaction score
Looks like dealership #6 will be the winner. Gonna email them this afternoon to get the ball rolling. Fun times!

habu987

Reaction score
Signed the paperwork with #6 and paid the $1000 deposit just now!

Out the door price including the $1500 rebate currently in effect and TTL is $58,305.45. My goal was to get a pre-incentives/TTL price of $56,540 or better, a straight $10k off MSRP. They wouldn't budge from $56,623.45, but I'll swallow the extra $80 since they were the only dealership to get within $1000 of that goal.

Now I get to play the waiting game!

habu987

Reaction score
Submitted the paperwork and stuff yesterday after my salesman left for the day, but got my VON bright and early this morning!

Given that I ordered both the RamBoxes and the v6, I'm expecting it to take on the longer end of the spectrum to actually get my truck, but at least the order is officially in the system now!

RStew

Reaction score
Habu,

Did they actually put the order in their system? Dealers in my area (South LA) are telling me the RamBox is restricted and their system will not accept it.

Thx

RStew

Reaction score
Nevermind.........

JRS200x answered this in another thread.......

Thanks to both of you for sharing......

RS

John813

Reaction score
Not trying to derail or start a debate, but what made you go for the V6? Just curious.

Glad you found a dealer that got close to your numbers.
South Florida is terrible with dealer fees, too. No cap down here.

habu987

Reaction score
Not trying to derail or start a debate, but what made you go for the V6? Just curious.

Glad you found a dealer that got close to your numbers.
South Florida is terrible with dealer fees, too. No cap down here.
I don't carry or plan to tow anything that would come close to taxing the v6, let alone do so on a regular basis. In addition, I'm a pretty sedate driver. Not quite 15 under in the left lane with the left blinker on, but my current car usually stays well under 3k rpm unless I'm doing a merge onto a high speed road or something like that.

Figured the v6 would be more than sufficient for my needs and the mpg boost is definitely welcome.

John813

Reaction score
I don't carry or plan to tow anything that would come close to taxing the v6, let alone do so on a regular basis. In addition, I'm a pretty sedate driver. Not quite 15 under in the left lane with the left blinker on, but my current car usually stays well under 3k rpm unless I'm doing a merge onto a high speed road or something like that.

Figured the v6 would be more than sufficient for my needs and the mpg boost is definitely welcome.

Gotcha. No need to spend more on something if you don't plan on using it.
Curious on your review on the 3.6 Etorque when you get the truck.

habu987

Reaction score
Hit D1 on 9/1!

'Course, in the grand scheme of things it doesn't really mean much, since D1 looks like it can be anywhere from a few weeks to 3+ months, but it is progress!

habu987

Reaction score
Nah, production seems much smoother recently with the Rambox issues fixed.
Yeah, I'm not worried about the RamBox being a holdup, but I know I'm at least the first on this forum to order the V6, so I was thinking there might be a delay in production ramping up on those.

Either way, it's not a big deal. I've got a perfectly serviceable car right now, doesn't really matter to me whether I get the truck in October or January, or anywhere in between.

Edwards

Ram Guru
Reaction score
Nah, production seems much smoother recently with the Rambox issues fixed.

What is this "RamBox issues fixed" you speak of? Wednesday will be 17 weeks from order for me and still in D1.

Users who are viewing this thread

Site Vendors

https://www.jasonlewisautomotive.com/

Members online