5thGenRams Forums

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Waiting, wishing, hoping, considering the value

devildodge

Staff member
Site Supporter
Reaction score
Alright, pricing is released on the 2019 Ram 1500 and once again I have decided that (the new Ram really is a performer and awesome looking) I will still be spending my money (one day in the not so distant future) on a 2500. So, I built a 2019 Rebel with less options than I would have wanted, to come up with a price point (pricing still seems off and I wouldn't be purchasing a 2019 1500 til the option list opened up fully) and it came in at $55855So I see there is a 2017 and a 2018 on the build and price. I promptly build a 2017 Powerwagon, and man, I can get everything I want to include Ram Box. Came in at $51865Then I build a 2018 Powerwagon...can not get a Ram Box but the exact same truck without it comes in at $53470Then I let financial responsibility come into play and I build a 2018 Ram 2500 Tradesman with Powerwagon package. Oddly, can't get Ram box again but it comes in at $45745.So, now, my question is...why can you still build a 2017 and 2018 and why the Ram Box issue?Next, seeing how the Powerwagon morphed in 2017 with the Macho Package...I know that a refresh can and will bring neat and better things.So 2019 and 2020 Ram 2500 will be a refresh?2021 Ram 2500 will be all new like the 2019 Ram 1500?Rumors are...7.0l Hemi (my wish), the 8spd transmission, restyled grilles and headlights etc., Cummins power bump, and other minor things. I am ready for more info...but it seems to be a trickling stream...and as much as I would love A Powerwagon and if I was Buying a 2019 1500 it would be Rebel, but when a 2019 Ram 1500 tradesman is 45 grand the no brainer of the day is to get 2018 Ram 2500 Tradesman with Powerwagon package. So very interested in knowing what may be coming for both the refresh years and the changeover to the 5th Generation 2500.

About 9 years ago, I had decided only 2500 Rams for me (with the truth being more to 3500) but this new Ram 1500 really has become more capable and more enticing. But as right now, while they still try to sell 2018s and they seemed to be geared toward selling the high price versions (exactly what I would expect when a truly price conscious person would go 2018 tradesman) I just can't get on board with the 1500.

But in a perfect world, I would have a red Rebel, a blue Powerwagon, and a green 3500 dually.

Need to play lottery.
1f61b.png
1f60e.png
1f608.png

D

Deleted member103

devildodge said:
Alright, pricing is released on the 2019 Ram 1500 and once again I have decided that (the new Ram really is a performer and awesome looking) I will still be spending my money (one day in the not so distant future) on a 2500. So, I built a 2019 Rebel with less options than I would have wanted, to come up with a price point (pricing still seems off and I wouldn't be purchasing a 2019 1500 til the option list opened up fully) and it came in at $55855So I see there is a 2017 and a 2018 on the build and price. I promptly build a 2017 Powerwagon, and man, I can get everything I want to include Ram Box. Came in at $51865Then I build a 2018 Powerwagon...can not get a Ram Box but the exact same truck without it comes in at $53470Then I let financial responsibility come into play and I build a 2018 Ram 2500 Tradesman with Powerwagon package. Oddly, can't get Ram box again but it comes in at $45745.So, now, my question is...why can you still build a 2017 and 2018 and why the Ram Box issue?Next, seeing how the Powerwagon morphed in 2017 with the Macho Package...I know that a refresh can and will bring neat and better things.So 2019 and 2020 Ram 2500 will be a refresh?2021 Ram 2500 will be all new like the 2019 Ram 1500?Rumors are...7.0l Hemi (my wish), the 8spd transmission, restyled grilles and headlights etc., Cummins power bump, and other minor things. I am ready for more info...but it seems to be a trickling stream...and as much as I would love A Powerwagon and if I was Buying a 2019 1500 it would be Rebel, but when a 2019 Ram 1500 tradesman is 45 grand the no brainer of the day is to get 2018 Ram 2500 Tradesman with Powerwagon package. So very interested in knowing what may be coming for both the refresh years and the changeover to the 5th Generation 2500.

About 9 years ago, I had decided only 2500 Rams for me (with the truth being more to 3500) but this new Ram 1500 really has become more capable and more enticing. But as right now, while they still try to sell 2018s and they seemed to be geared toward selling the high price versions (exactly what I would expect when a truly price conscious person would go 2018 tradesman) I just can't get on board with the 1500.

But in a perfect world, I would have a red Rebel, a blue Powerwagon, and a green 3500 dually.

Need to play lottery.
1f61b.png
1f60e.png
1f608.png
Hadn't noticed your dilemma till now, sorry to see your difficulty in "so many choices, so little time,"
263a.png
! My 2-cents tells me, just from your last thoughts - " About 9 years ago . . ." and "But in a perfect world . . ." - that money doesn't appear to be an issue !? IF it were Me, and that were the case, I'd get the Big Horn maxed-out 4X4 Off-Road and still be under $50. Just to start a Rebel your at $46+ and for me, I don't care for all the Black interior or the vinyl seats w/cloth insert - though the Red accents are awesome ! IMO of course ! I don't tend to "luxuriate" my surroundings - more humble by early, very modest upbringings !
Clearly, "in a perfect world," the Rebel seems to be your Daily Driver Choice and not your Big RV Hauler (if that is what you require a 3500 for ?
All of what I am saying is with my tongue firmly planted in my cheek
263a.png
as recently I have become a bit "gun-shy" in how I respond !
Good thing the River Flows and all-things do pass, and must pass or else were all doomed . . .
1f609.png
. . .
1f914.png
. . .
263a.png
It's been a whole week now . . . any new Intel helping your decision ? I'm sticking with Mine - Big Horn w/4X4 Off Road + Level 1 and Alpine upgrade - Truthfully as much as I like the Rebel, must be the mustache look I love, at my age I just don't think I could give its abilities a just & worthy workout ! I tend to be more "practical" and financially responsible, by choice & reality . GOOD LUCK HUNTING !

devildodge

Staff member
Site Supporter
Reaction score
LOU.2 said:
Hadn't noticed your dilemma till now, sorry to see your difficulty in "so many choices, so little time,"
263a.png
! My 2-cents tells me, just from your last thoughts - " About 9 years ago . . ." and "But in a perfect world . . ." - that money doesn't appear to be an issue !? IF it were Me, and that were the case, I'd get the Big Horn maxed-out 4X4 Off-Road and still be under $50. Just to start a Rebel your at $46+ and for me, I don't care for all the Black interior or the vinyl seats w/cloth insert - though the Red accents are awesome ! IMO of course ! I don't tend to "luxuriate" my surroundings - more humble by early, very modest upbringings !
Clearly, "in a perfect world," the Rebel seems to be your Daily Driver Choice and not your Big RV Hauler (if that is what you require a 3500 for ?
All of what I am saying is with my tongue firmly planted in my cheek
263a.png
as recently I have become a bit "gun-shy" in how I respond !
Good thing the River Flows and all-things do pass, and must pass or else were all doomed . . .
1f609.png
. . .
1f914.png
. . .
263a.png
It's been a whole week now . . . any new Intel helping your decision ? I'm sticking with Mine - Big Horn w/4X4 Off Road + Level 1 and Alpine upgrade - Truthfully as much as I like the Rebel, must be the mustache look I love, at my age I just don't think I could give its abilities a just & worthy workout ! I tend to be more "practical" and financially responsible, by choice & reality . GOOD LUCK HUNTING !
When I get a chance I will answer this properly. Just wanted to say, I have enjoyed your posts and enjoy all of the intrest and info being bantered about here.

And if I won the lottery the Rebel would be my daily driver, the Powerwagon would be my weekend excursion vehicle hauling our camper, kayaks, and bikes and the 3500 would have an enclosed trailer to haul my Hellcat widebody and Demon and a flat bed trailer to haul my Jeep and Rebel TRX out to ORV parks to play.

But unfortunately I have a hard time spending my earned money on a new anything...so right now...Tradesman Powerwagon would be what I would buy...but this 5th Gen 1500...it checks a lot of boxes.

D

Deleted member103

devildodge said:
When I get a chance I will answer this properly. Just wanted to say, I have enjoyed your posts and enjoy all of the intrest and info being bantered about here.

And if I won the lottery the Rebel would be my daily driver, the Powerwagon would be my weekend excursion vehicle hauling our camper, kayaks, and bikes and the 3500 would have an enclosed trailer to haul my Hellcat widebody and Demon and a flat bed trailer to haul my Jeep and Rebel TRX out to ORV parks to play.

But unfortunately I have a hard time spending my earned money on a new anything...so right now...Tradesman Powerwagon would be what I would buy...but this 5th Gen 1500...it checks a lot of boxes
I hear you and thank you, that cheers me up. So many choices, so little time . . . great time to be alive; for that matter wouldn't have it any other way - alive that is,
263a.png

1f44d.png
!

devildodge

Staff member
Site Supporter
Reaction score
Well, I have thought more about it and The Rebel continues to move further up the list. Problem is that I really like that panaramic sunroof and that option, along with waiting to see if the Ram box will be available on a 6'4" bed and wondering if the crew cab will get that bed have me back to the Powerwagon.
And the price conscious side of me tells me the deal right now is still the Tradesman with Powerwagon package.

So, with some powerwagons hitting the used market I am back to hoping to find a gently used optioned as I would want Powerwagon.

But that all could change many times over, as I am not really in the market for 1 and half years...but, it is hard not to do the right foolish thing and pull the trigger on a Rebel.

mrmachaveli

Reaction score
devildodge said:
Well, I have thought more about it and The Rebel continues to move further up the list. Problem is that I really like that panaramic sunroof and that option, along with waiting to see if the Ram box will be available on a 6'4" bed and wondering if the crew cab will get that bed have me back to the Powerwagon.
And the price conscious side of me tells me the deal right now is still the Tradesman with Powerwagon package.

So, with some powerwagons hitting the used market I am back to hoping to find a gently used optioned as I would want Powerwagon.

But that all could change many times over, as I am not really in the market for 1 and half years...but, it is hard not to do the right foolish thing and pull the trigger on a Rebel.
Do you like the modern features. That is the main reason I am purchasing a 1500 and not a 2500...though the new 8.4 is in the new 2500 and is great. but the feel of everything. It seems, that even though the overall height of the 1500 is 1 inch lower, the step out of it feels like a 2500, without any side step. That sunroof is incredible, driving with it is incredible, just more than i expected.

D

Deleted member103

devildodge said:

I'm with you on much of the same thought process . . . but for me, as nice as it would be, the pan-am roof gets Pricy . . . but that RamBox on the 6'4" IS something I'd consider IF I decide to get a Tonneau vs. a Cap ! And even then I wouldn't be able to fully open the RamBox when the Tonneau is UP !? There is a Custom canvas tent maker (and other custom work) over in Yakima that I will be contacting to see if they would custom make a removable (velcro or . . .?) tent to attach to the underside of a Tonneau ! Like the Flip up or Push up camper roofs - VW Bus for example . Ursa Minor does an angled Wrangler camper, which is an example, I'm looking to have done TENT wise ! I am having to much difficulty setting up & taking down my Kodiak canvas 9' X 8' tent - really needs 2 people, and I have had some (other campers) come to my "rescue" but don't like to depend on that - the Truck Idea is so much simpler ! Miss my 2003 with the Cap & BedRug Liner ! Big Horn DT here I come - well September-ish with the V6 eTorque .

Oh Crap -- just reminded myself of a conversation I had with "my sales guy" (sold me the G.C.) -- Hmm, should I post somewhere else or just put it here ?

I'll put it here -- My Sales Guy & I were chatting about the (now) 5 "in transit" RAM DT's they anticipate ! 1st, I'm way West of the Mississippi River, Eastern WA. State, and my Dealership (as well as the others in Their "Family") don't anticipate actually Having Them on the Lots till Late April on in to Late May ! And that is just for these 1st Batches of upper end with the Hemi ! They do have Big Horns on order for a future production run ! ALSO mentioned - due to my interest in the V6 eTorque - He mentioned his sales Manager said there was some "issue" a "recall" on the Hemi w/eTorque ! I pressed him on the use of the word "recall" and he said he wasn't sure; but there is/was something "going on" with IT !

maybe someone can or won't be able to enlighten the group on that - as nothing is "Official" yet !
ps; all the words, in quotes are NOT My Words, used in our telephone conversation . Not intentionally trying to be "mysterious here" (my words) so don't "shoot me" !
Just thought it INTERESTING and IF it sheds some light or Conversation on the eTorque -- that could be a good thing !
263a.png

1f44d.png

1f914.png

263a.png
- is that enough, ha ha .

ps; EDIT -- Yea, my Hemi / eTorque stuff should of gone in the "Hemi w/eTorque" POST ! Duh, just noticed it -
1f644.png

1f914.png

1f609.png

263a.png

devildodge

Staff member
Site Supporter
Reaction score
Almost got the woman talked into a rebel. Had it had the RamBox it would probably been purchased, a 2018. She isn't convinced yet about the 2019 1500...she wants to trade the 2013 for a 2021 HD which is most likely what will happen, but owning a Rebel is on the shortlist. If trucks weren't so darned expensive these days I would pick up a used Rebel and Powerwagon, but that isn't feasible...yet!

D

Deleted member103

Boy oh Boy, finding a pair of "properly-fittin' man-pants is getting harder to do ! Well you know how it is -- family matters an-all !
263a.png

Only with love my friend, only with love .
1f617.png

1f609.png
. . .
1f618.png
, that's for you sweetie
2764.png
!

devildodge

Staff member
Site Supporter
Reaction score
if momma ain't happy ain't nobody happy.
1f609.png
The problem isn't getting her to "let me" it is that we swore off 1500 trucks and buying new a few many years ago...and if the 1500 capabilities is any indication of the 2500s it will be worth the wait...but she has mentioned that Rebel 3 times now.
1f604.png

Rustydodge

Reaction score
My thoughts: By a gently used 15 or newer power wagon for mid to low 30s and see how you like it. Save the other 20k for now or pay off other debts or invest it. Some used power wagons can be found with laramie options and rambox if you're patient. Plan to own it for 5ish years until we know everything about the updated HDs and new power wagon. In that time, you'll know how you like living with an "old" 2500 powerwagon and can then decide between finding a gently used or a better discounted newer Rebel or going all out and buy the new power wagon. You'll have much better information and experience to base you're 50k+ purchase on.

Remember taxes ontop of those prices suck. You never realize how cheap and great an old/paid off vehicle is until after you purchase a new one.

D

Deleted member103

devildodge said:
if momma ain't happy ain't nobody happy.
1f609.png
The problem isn't getting her to "let me" it is that we swore off 1500 trucks and buying new a few many years ago...and if the 1500 capabilities is any indication of the 2500s it will be worth the wait...but she has mentioned that Rebel 3 times now.
1f604.png
Hi dd, glad you took it with a smile . . . just having a bit-o-fun, at "your expense," ! GOOD SPORTS are hard to find, so whatever YOU-two get, the moment you both step inside You'll BOTH be "in heaven" !
1f44d.png

devildodge

Staff member
Site Supporter
Reaction score
Rustydodge said:
You never realize how cheap and great an old/paid off vehicle is until after you purchase a new one.
This is why we have the stable we have. I have no real intrest in buying a new truck, but seeing all the people that are excited to buy one has me constantly thinking what we would do.

She once again commented on that 2018 Rebel. The 2013 Cummins isn't a truck that has any emotional value to us, so it will be traded.

2017 Macho Powerwagon is what will most likely be purchased used in the next 2 year time frame, depending on the happening of a "deal" will define the time.

I really have to admit though the 2019 Rebel has me rethinking our need for a 2500, but ultimately we will be purchasing a 2500 or 3500, but just maybe we will also purchase a Rebel for our "daily driver"

And then, when the Rebel Subbrand comes to fruition, more decisions to be made.

D

Deleted member103

Rustydodge . . . devildodge -- Rd & dd, got it; so confusing that I almost can't keep up / so similar !

Which ever of you IS interested in (not quite new & at NICE discount prices!?) may I suggest you can tempt your desires by watching a # of videos (30+ minutes) from MIKES CAR INFO on YouTube -- click on 'videos' and on down a bit you'll see in-depth info on the 2018 1500, 2500 and 3500 varieties from RAM, and further down the page some 2017 RAM . . . along with many other FCA and other manufacturers.
As I said in another post, Mike is a bit "quirky" but the video quality is VERY GOOD (up to 4K) ! ! ! Enjoy, or not .
263a.png

Users who are viewing this thread