5thGenRams Forums

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Wagoneer Hemi vs Hurricane. Which should I choose?

DieselRebel

Reaction score
Deciding on whether to buy a 2022 Wagoneer with the 5.7L V8 Hemi Etorque or wait and buy the 2023 with the 3.0L I6 Hurricane Twin Turbo. Pros and cons of each? I know the Hurricane has a bump in HP and Torque. How much better highway MPG is it expected to have?

djevox

VP of Creative Thinking
Staff member
Site Supporter
Reaction score
It’s supposed to get 1mpg better. Who knows what that will translate into under real conditions.

Scap

Ram Guru
Reaction score
My opinion, no matter the mfg, avoid first year implementation of new drivetrains.

Let some time pass and see what others are dealing with before you decide.

CMil527

Spends too much time on here
Reaction score
My opinion, no matter the mfg, avoid first year implementation of new drivetrains.

Let some time pass and see what others are dealing with before you decide.
this... all day everyday, I would stick with the hemi!!

SD Rebel

Reaction score
The Hurricane isn't really supposed to be a mpg improvement over the Hemi, but a power improvement over the 5.7L.

Though from what I've seen online, it's very quiet. So if you like V8s, this may not be the motor for you.

If you don't need to order now, I would wait to evaluate, especially with prices likely to do down soon in the coming months.

derikrichie03

Reaction score
I'm on the side to wait, let them get all the quirks out B4 jumping in, especially with all the technology involved.

It SHOULD be fun addition. I'm big on the 5.7, great engine.

Bpebler

Ram Guru
Reaction score
2022 Wagoneer with the 6.4 sounds to be an excellent route to go.

Sportznut

Reaction score
I recently rented one of these. Nice rig but electronics not as user friendly as our trucks.
Really liked the massaging seats!

Sent from my SM-N960U using Tapatalk

theblet

Legendary member
Reaction score
I prob wouldn't want to buy the hurricane engine since it's brand new. I'm sure they will have some kinks to work out within the first couple of years.

SD Rebel

Reaction score
The fuel economy difference is minor between the Hemi and Hurricane, but the Hurricane has a bit more hp and especially torque.

If the Hemi feels strong enough for you, then get the Hemi. As already mentioned, I would wait until the Hurricane is been on the market a few years to make sure there isn't any major issues. Though not sure I would trust RAM to iron everything out anyways, as the Hemi isn't exactly devoid of any legacy issues either.

That being said, in several years, you likely won't have many choices other than a Hurricane if you want a gasoline engine in a Mopar product.

Dewey

Reaction score
I recently rented one of these. Nice rig but electronics not as user friendly as our trucks.
Really liked the massaging seats!

Sent from my SM-N960U using Tapatalk
Massaging seats? Sounds like a great way to fall asleep while driving.😆

millerbjm

Ram Guru
Reaction score
Deciding on whether to buy a 2022 Wagoneer with the 5.7L V8 Hemi Etorque or wait and buy the 2023 with the 3.0L I6 Hurricane Twin Turbo. Pros and cons of each? I know the Hurricane has a bump in HP and Torque. How much better highway MPG is it expected to have?
For me it would depend on how long you plan to own - if you plan to keep it longer and need it now I'd lean hemi as others suggest. If you plan to sell the jeep while still under powertrain warranty or buy an extended warranty I'd be tempted by the hurricane - that engine looks very fun based on testing I've seen.

djevox

VP of Creative Thinking
Staff member
Site Supporter
Reaction score
I’ve been thinking about this a lot after the initial post. This pretty much ruins RAM for me in the near future. E-torque is a joke and will most likely be gone as soon as the hurricane hybrid is announced. The hurricane will be so loaded with emissions stuff that those items will be what makes the engine unreliable. In the same vein, this engine was built to satisfy more stringent standards, not give a new option that customers asked for or desired. Stellantis doesn’t have our best interests, but only the regulators and stakeholders’ interests, in mind. The only way this s***show could be saved in my mind is by having that hurricane hybrid be ~700hp equivalent. Otherwise, I’m voting against it with my wallet by not making another Stellantis purchase. Of course, I realize I’m only one person and they won’t notice.

WXman

Ram Guru
Reaction score
For me it would depend on how long you plan to own - if you plan to keep it longer and need it now I'd lean hemi as others suggest. If you plan to sell the jeep while still under powertrain warranty or buy an extended warranty I'd be tempted by the hurricane - that engine looks very fun based on testing I've seen.

This is exactly my thought process too. Hurricane has all of the things that make engines problematic over the long haul: forced induction, direct injection, etc. AND it's a brand new clean sheet design. That has trouble written all over it. For the first 36,000 miles who cares? Engine and associated computers are covered in full by warranty. But after 36k miles I wouldn't want the risk.

Hemi on the other hand has been around for 20 model years now with only two updates. It's pretty much bulletproof as long as you use a quality 5W30 oil to keep the lifters happy. It may be down on power compared to the Hurricane, but not by much and power isn't everything! AND, I have a crisp $5 bill that says the Hurricane will NOT get better MPG in the real world on these larger 4x4s. Every small displacement turbo engine we've seen in the last 10 years in a larger frame 4x4 has consumed massive amounts of fuel to make up for the lack of cubic inches. See Ford's EcoBoost lawsuits for evidence.

millerbjm

Ram Guru
Reaction score
My only concern with the new engine is waiting for bugs to work out - true of any completley redesigned product in it's first year or so and I think evidenced in many of the issues we see on this forum with the 2019's that were improved in following years or at least known before purchasing future years. Beyond that policy of avoid something brand new to avoid the surprises I think this new engine will be superior to the Hemi in virtually everyway and for every task except producing a great exhaust note. For those folks saying they will leave Ram because they can only chose etorque or hurricane I say good luck as your options for another 1/2 ton truck with an 'old-school' V8 are pretty limited and unlikely to be available past 2023 or maybe 2024 model years. I have only seen rave reviews of both versions of this new engine in the automotive press so far and much of the negative review has been pre-release speculation or based on demostrably false assumptions.

Users who are viewing this thread