5thGenRams Forums

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Voice Texting

6of36

Spends too much time on here
Reaction score
Why did Ram take away the ability to voice text? In one of my older vehicles, I think my 2015 Ram, when I received a text, I could easily answer back, by pushing the button, and speaking my message. The system would respond, reading back the message, asking to confirm, then send the message. All the vehicles since then, only send preset responses. To me, this is a big safety issue. Why eliminate a feature that made communication totally hands free?

vincentw56

Reaction score
Why did Ram take away the ability to voice text? In one of my older vehicles, I think my 2015 Ram, when I received a text, I could easily answer back, by pushing the button, and speaking my message. The system would respond, reading back the message, asking to confirm, then send the message. All the vehicles since then, only send preset responses. To me, this is a big safety issue. Why eliminate a feature that made communication totally hands free?
Because more and more companies are turning it over to your cell phones. Your smartphone has a lot more capabilities and translates text a lot better.

6of36

Reaction score
It still used the cell phone for the messages. It's not like you could do it without your phone connected. Now to answer a text, I have to pick up the phone and hit the mic button, to voice text back. That takes eyes off the road. It was much safer to hit the button on the steering wheel. The technology was there. Now with UC5 you can just talk to do everything else, but not to message? Doesn't make sense to me.

jimothy

5thGenRams Supporter
Site Supporter
Reaction score
If your phone is connected, push and hold the button to activate your phone’s voice assistant (Siri, etc). Then say, “Send a text to Jim”. It’s your phone handling the request, but using your truck’s microphone, speakers, and button.

No need to take your eyes off the road, or hands off the the wheel.

Bigbags85

Reaction score
It still used the cell phone for the messages. It's not like you could do it without your phone connected. Now to answer a text, I have to pick up the phone and hit the mic button, to voice text back. That takes eyes off the road. It was much safer to hit the button on the steering wheel. The technology was there. Now with UC5 you can just talk to do everything else, but not to message? Doesn't make sense to me.
You have to be connected to android auto if you have an android to use anything but preset responses. Don't know about apple.

MidnightExpre$$

Ram Guru
Reaction score
I thought I didn't have it connected correctly. Also, my 2014 would read the recieved text aloud. I miss that feature too

Bigbags85

Reaction score
I thought I didn't have it connected correctly. Also, my 2014 would read the recieved text aloud. I miss that feature too
it will read it aloud if you're on android auto OR if you go to devices and make sure the phone option is selected (you can select music, phone, and maybe two others?).

beetlespin

Reaction score
Yup, Android Auto does both. Send and play text messages. Also does a lot more. Navigation, music, etc. Welcome to 2023.

Sportznut

Reaction score
Yep, my 2019 still reads my texts out loud and I can respond by voice hands-free. I use Android Auto

Sent from my SM-N960U using Tapatalk

Ram-a-Kin

Reaction score
Apple Car Play does both as well. I agree with @vincentw56, connecting my truck to Car Play provides almost flawless results when voice texting, dialing or asking for directions Unlike my previous vehicles without Car Play.

Amazing93

Reaction score
I don't use android auto I just have my phone connected via Bluetooth and I can have my text messages read aloud. I am using a zfold 4. 2019 with 12" screen

6of36

Reaction score
I don't like android auto. I block it on my phones. I shouldn't have to use an app I don't like, just to send a message. It will read me messages without using android auto. The old system could text before there was android auto. It was stupid to remove a system that made it safer to drive.

vincentw56

Reaction score
I don't like android auto. I block it on my phones. I shouldn't have to use an app I don't like, just to send a message. It will read me messages without using android auto. The old system could text before there was android auto. It was stupid to remove a system that made it safer to drive.
Too bad it's the future. This is what all of them are moving too.

Users who are viewing this thread