5thGenRams Forums

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Voice Recognition - anyone get to send text or search address

Cmerkert

Ram Guru
Reaction score
Has anyone been able to get the voice recognition features to work on the 12-in Uconnect? I'm talking specifically about speaking in an address and having it search for it in the navigation and also to reply in a text message play dictating your own message and not having to use their pre-defined selections which are impossible to remember. The microphone in the navigation search bar to the right is great out so obviously that's not activated yet. And as for being able to reply or create a text message by dictating a message it appears that that option is available and lit up in the phone text screen however when you press it nothing happens only these selection below that of the pre-defined reply messages works. it's impossible for us to remember they're predefined messages and say them exactly as they have them written so that's kind of annoying and useless It would be much easier to just be able to speak my message and have it send it just like I'm speaking this post right now on my phone and having it sent to you all. Work perfect right!

so I'm wondering has anyone had any luck with being able to use their voice to enter end address or to create a text message? Get another pretty simple feature that should be available on this $1200 system. Oh and that's besides the fact that the maps our current to only 2017. But that I can live with

MVIMG_20190401_161207.jpg

Laramie81

Reaction score
Mine functions, but that’s all it does. It rarely understands what I say. It’s the worst voice recognition I’ve ever used. It was better on my 14 Laramie and my 15 Grand Cherokee. As far as texting goes, I just hold down the voice button and use Siri. She knows what she’s doing.

edrclark

Staff member
Site Supporter & Order Tracking
Site Supporter
Reaction score
Has anyone been able to get the voice recognition features to work on the 12-in Uconnect? I'm talking specifically about speaking in an address and having it search for it in the navigation and also to reply in a text message play dictating your own message and not having to use their pre-defined selections which are impossible to remember. The microphone in the navigation search bar to the right is great out so obviously that's not activated yet. And as for being able to reply or create a text message by dictating a message it appears that that option is available and lit up in the phone text screen however when you press it nothing happens only these selection below that of the pre-defined reply messages works. it's impossible for us to remember they're predefined messages and say them exactly as they have them written so that's kind of annoying and useless It would be much easier to just be able to speak my message and have it send it just like I'm speaking this post right now on my phone and having it sent to you all. Work perfect right!

so I'm wondering has anyone had any luck with being able to use their voice to enter end address or to create a text message? Get another pretty simple feature that should be available on this $1200 system. Oh and that's besides the fact that the maps our current to only 2017. But that I can live with

View attachment 20983
If you are using Apple products, the only way to make it work is to use Siri, android should work but I have never tried it

Cmerkert

Ram Guru
Reaction score
If you are using Apple products, the only way to make it work is to use Siri, android should work but I have never tried it
Have not used my Android Auto yet I have a Pixel. I would rather not have to go into Android Auto just to use the navigation that's already on the screen. It's map info is current enough for me. And would much rather deal with the large screen and not have to go into a secondary application. so hoping the voice recognition starts to work there again especially with texting. On that side note how do I even pull up Android Auto I've yet to see that happened I'm assuming I talked to the projection icon and have it plugged into USB but nothing worked although that was the very first day and not sure of all subscriptions were activated yet. I'll give it a try later today but if you have any info would love to hear

DanSkan

Reaction score
I have yet to try Android Auto - I can't get over having to plug the phone in with USB to make things connect when both the phone and truck have Bluetooth and WIFI capability to connect. Maybe on a longer ride it would be OK to plug in but on short trips and in and out of truck plugging in is a PITA.

edrclark

Staff member
Site Supporter
Reaction score
Have not used my Android Auto yet I have a Pixel. I would rather not have to go into Android Auto just to use the navigation that's already on the screen. It's map info is current enough for me. And would much rather deal with the large screen and not have to go into a secondary application. so hoping the voice recognition starts to work there again especially with texting. On that side note how do I even pull up Android Auto I've yet to see that happened I'm assuming I talked to the projection icon and have it plugged into USB but nothing worked although that was the very first day and not sure of all subscriptions were activated yet. I'll give it a try later today but if you have any info would love to hear
Sorry, only have Apple. From what I understand, you should be able to voice text with android even without using android auto.

Apple has issues with the Bluetooth protocol Uconnect uses, I don’t think android has the same problem

dutchman187

Ram Guru
Reaction score
Sorry, only have Apple. From what I understand, you should be able to voice text with android even without using android auto.

Apple has issues with the Bluetooth protocol Uconnect uses, I don’t think android has the same problem

I have Android and cannot do voice text without using Android auto. Only the predefined messages BS.

edrclark

Staff member
Site Supporter
Reaction score
I have Android and cannot do voice text without using Android auto. Only the predefined messages BS.

As I have no direct experience, I will bow to your superior knowledge. I must have been misinformed, I apologize profusely.

dutchman187

Ram Guru
Reaction score
As I have no direct experience, I will bow to your superior knowledge. I must have been misinformed, I apologize profusely.
Haha, no apology necessary. Just chiming in my own experience so far. Was hoping some other Android users had better luck and could tell me how to fix mine.

edrclark

Staff member
Site Supporter
Reaction score
Was looking at a video that says you need map enabled on your android phone. But the video was from several years ago

edrclark

Staff member
Site Supporter
Reaction score
Interesting, the documentation says voice texting is available. Try going to this site to check to see if your phone should do voice texting

Rockgt302

Reaction score
It always worked in my 14 Ram with The paid subscription to uconnect. I ordered a new Ram and I am worried about the lack of features working correctly. This and the remote commands from the app. My 2018 Volvo XC90 works flawlessly in these areas.

Ramrnr1500

Reaction score
I think everyone skipped the Uconnect voice control and jumped to apple and google integration.

I haven’t ever gotten the voice control to work in entering an address into the navigation. There must be a trick I don’t know. 12 inch version.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

wildh24

Ram Guru
Reaction score
I think everyone skipped the Uconnect voice control and jumped to apple and google integration.

I haven’t ever gotten the voice control to work in entering an address into the navigation. There must be a trick I don’t know. 12 inch version.

I was wondering the same thing. Seems like a feature that should work.

Marusho

Reaction score
I have searched in my clearest voice for "1600 Pennsylvania Avenue, Washington, DC" and "District of Columbia" and "Washington, District of Columbia", and "White House, Washington, DC", blah blah. The feature has always returned no result, with this location or any other. It's also useless if I key in the address.

Luke R

Reaction score
The voice recognition never works for me. I've tried numerous times to no avail. Has anyone found a way to get a address to work?

Sent from my SM-G965U using Tapatalk

Cmerkert

Ram Guru
Reaction score
I have yet to try Android Auto - I can't get over having to plug the phone in with USB to make things connect when both the phone and truck have Bluetooth and WIFI capability to connect. Maybe on a longer ride it would be OK to plug in but on short trips and in and out of truck plugging in is a PITA.
I agree I find it annoying to have this large 12-in navigation map where there is a microphone for voice search in the navigation address entry screen but it's great out and yet you have to plug in with a USB cable your phone to use your phones navigation That's only half the size of the screen to do voice entries. Plus having Wi-Fi and Bluetooth yet still needing to do a physical cord.

Cmerkert

Ram Guru
Reaction score

there's not the voice control address feature does not work The microphone is great out. Which is one of the stupidest things. They are predetermined tax replies are also very limited and dumb. Who's going to remember those if you don't say it perfectly correct It doesn't recognize what you're trying to tell it. plus we'd rather speak what we want to say. I really need to unlock this feature. Phones have been doing it for over 5 years now

Buck

Reaction score
The voice recognition never works for me. I've tried numerous times to no avail. Has anyone found a way to get a address to work?

Sent from my SM-G965U using Tapatalk
No luck with mine
I enter addresses thru the app
Works every time

Users who are viewing this thread