5thGenRams Forums

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Voice Assistant/Android Mobile Assistant

dirtfreak20

Reaction score
Asking for a friend because I have an iPhone. We both have new 2020 1500s and when I long press on the voice command button on the steering wheel I can activate Siri on my phone (with my phone only being connected via Bluetooth, called Siri Eyes Free) which bypasses the trucks built in voice command.

Is there a similar feature for an android phone or is the only option to run android auto which requires the phone to be connected via USB?

Are there any good wireless android auto devices out there like there are for CarPlay?

Last edited:

Nels

Reaction score
Great question - I'll try it tomorrow. I have android phone and find the functionality, especially voice commands, very limited when not plugged in using Android Auto. My truck is a 19 though so could be different. I'll let you know what I find out.

piening2150

Ram Guru
Reaction score
Just tried it in my truck. No, a long press on the steering wheel button does not call up Google unless the phone is plugged into USB. It will respond wirelessly to 'Hey Google' without pressing anything (assuming the phone is out where it can hear you), but you won't hear any response unless you are streaming music over BT already.

Smashius

Reaction score
Both plugged in for AA, and unplugged with just bluetooth, I just say "Hey Google". The difference is for the former, the truck hears me, and for the latter, the phone hears me.

No reason to be pushing buttons imo.

AAwireless is supposed to be coming soon.

BobK

Reaction score
I have not tried it connected via Bluetooth, (im sure mine will be just like piening2150's) but the reason I use the button to activate it is if you have music playing at a higher volume its easier to press the button for 2 seconds that try to talk louder over the music to get Google to respond. And just the fact that sometimes the phone may not be 100% responsible to Hey Google, the button always is. So I got into the habit of using the button.

Nels

Reaction score
I also tried it today with my android phone. Just bluetooth, not plugged into usb. No dice. Phone doesn't react at all.

Hrspwr88

Reaction score
Had no idea the apple products did this. Kinda jealous now.

dirtfreak20

Reaction score
Thanks everyone for the responses. I actually am a little surprised that it’s something Apple has that android does not. Regardless it sounds like either plugging the phone in every time or using hey google is the best way to go.

I agree hey google is nice but not when loud music is on. In a day where things are becoming more and more wireless it’s a shame to have to plug in every time too.

Wireless AA is coming to Rams but it’s not going to come to our years of truck. I’m sure it’ll be reserved for future years with uconnect5. Here’s to hoping someone develops a wireless android auto dongle to plug into usb like there already is for CarPlay.

Neurobit

RAM Sorcerer
Reaction score
Had no idea the apple products did this. Kinda jealous now.
Very handy (and safe) for asking directions, restaurant locations, or just wonder what the weather forecast will be. I use it constantly.

Users who are viewing this thread