5thGenRams Forums

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

VLEDS license installation questions

Rupp

Reaction score
For those of you who used the CURT 56584 Replacement Vehicle-Side Custom USCAR 5-Pin Trailer Wiring Harness to connect your VLED did you simply cut the end off of the wire that connects to the light and then use something like this to wire it into the 56584?
1639623500983.png

JC4041

Reaction score
I cut it off, but left it long enough to tie back into if I need to. Put heatshrink over the cut off wires (or tape them real good).

1639626798293.png

Rupp

Reaction score
I cut it off, but left it long enough to tie back into if I need to. Put heatshrink over the cut off wires (or tape them real good).

View attachment 113885
Thanks but I can't make out exactly what you did here. I was referring to cutting of the end of the connector on the actual light itself. My VLED light has a small two wire male connector that connects to a female connector. I was thinking I would cut the male connector off and wire it to the previously attached picture and then just plug it into the 56584.
This brings up a good point. Which two wires do I need to wire to the light? In the 5 pin connector I have blue, green, yellow, brown, and white.

Thanks in advance.

Rupp

Reaction score
Another question. Has anyone mounted this light on the bottom of their license plate due to it hitting the tail gate?

Zeeya

Reaction score
RUPP, I actually trimmed off a section of the bottom and redrilled holes to lower license plate enough so it would not contact the tailgate.

JC4041

Reaction score
Thanks but I can't make out exactly what you did here. I was referring to cutting of the end of the connector on the actual light itself. My VLED light has a small two wire male connector that connects to a female connector. I was thinking I would cut the male connector off and wire it to the previously attached picture and then just plug it into the 56584.
This brings up a good point. Which two wires do I need to wire to the light? In the 5 pin connector I have blue, green, yellow, brown, and white.

Thanks in advance.
Oh I thought you were asking about the Curt adapter. I'm mounting different reverse lights, I just put a connector on the Curt adapter that I got after cutting off the 6 feet of the 5 pin side. The center wire (blue if I remember right) of the 7 pin is the reverse wire you need. Autozone has 2 prong flat plugs if you want to go that route.

1639630445223.png

This is the typical 5 flat layout.
1639630756213.png

JC4041

Reaction score
This is the route I'm going.

Rupp

Reaction score
Ok guys just to follow up. I completed my VLED backup license plate light and it's great. I did have to move the license plate holes down about a 1/4" of in inch below the original and trim the bottom of the plate with tin snips but the out come was amazing. I used the Now let's hope this light lasts a while. I used the CURT 56584 Replacement Vehicle-Side Custom USCAR 5-Pin Trailer Wiring Harness , Black, along with the Oyviny 5 Way Flat Trailer Wiring Harness Plug with 22 inch Wire Lead Trailer End Durable 5 Pin Male Connector Trailer Light Wiring Harness Extension for Trailer RV Boat Color-Coded Waterproof, plenty of bread ties and some White Heat Shrink Butt Connectors AWG26-24,haisstronica Marine Grade Heat Shrink Wire Connectors to tie it all together. It took about an hour with removing the spare tire and taking my time. Thanks for all who answers any of my stupid questions and if you are on the fence jump off and go for it..

Users who are viewing this thread