5thGenRams Forums

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

VLand LED Upgrade

MikeyHo808

Ram Guru
Reaction score
With my first yearly state vehicle inspection coming up soon, i was told by my service dept (who will be doing the inspections for free) that the LED bulbs in my halogen housings will not pass, I decided to upgrade to a set of VLand black reflector LED housings.
I really wanted OEM fixtures, but they are pricey. Seeing enough positive accounts from some owners here, I opted to go this route instead. Install wasnt too bad, about 3-3.5 hours it took. Alot of patience to properly remove that trim piece under the light fixture was needed to avoid breaking that tab. Once that piece was off, the rest of it was a breeze. I also did not completely remove the grill. Probably would have been easier with it off, but my grill lights are mounted to it and I did not feel like removing them. But, while I had everything loose, i rewired the grill lights and tapped them into the VLand's DRL wiring, so they now come on with the DRL's👍.
Electrical was a breeze, and so far, after 2 days in, everything works fine, no issues at all. Am glad it was a somewhat "easy" install, just hope these guys hold up for a while🤞🙏
Love how they look, totally changed the look of the front end, and even more so the changed look at night...what a difference!

Attachments

• 20220719_114633.jpg
    20220719_114633.jpg
    158.4 KB · Views: 279
  • 20220719_143309.jpg
    20220719_143309.jpg
    129.9 KB · Views: 253
  • 20220719_141842.jpg
    20220719_141842.jpg
    117.1 KB · Views: 261
  • 20220719_142006.jpg
    20220719_142006.jpg
    119 KB · Views: 260
  • 20220719_141957.jpg
    20220719_141957.jpg
    123.3 KB · Views: 279
  • 20220719_194121.jpg
    20220719_194121.jpg
    130 KB · Views: 276

Idahoktm

Spends too much time on here
Reaction score
How would anyone know or care if you had LED lights in a halogen fixture? You must live in a place where liberals are running the show. That kind of nit-picky regulation would drive me nuts.

Those headlights look much better than the stock Big Horn fixtures.

MikeyHo808

Ram Guru
Reaction score
Our state inspection is stupidly intense, no political party needed. Born and raised here, i deal with it, but also respect it because it is the law. Something many have forgotten the meaning of of recently.

Idahoktm

Spends too much time on here
Reaction score
I couldn't see where you were from on my mobile device, unless I rotate into portrait mode.

I find it odd that you can have Vland LED lights but you can't add LED's to a halogen fixture, so I looked up Hawaiian headlight laws. All I could see, other than blue or red headlights, is HID lights are prohibited. I couldn't find anything about LED's.

Last edited:

Nsleone

Ram Guru
Reaction score
With my first yearly state vehicle inspection coming up soon, i was told by my service dept (who will be doing the inspections for free) that the LED bulbs in my halogen housings will not pass, I decided to upgrade to a set of VLand black reflector LED housings.
I really wanted OEM fixtures, but they are pricey. Seeing enough positive accounts from some owners here, I opted to go this route instead. Install wasnt too bad, about 3-3.5 hours it took. Alot of patience to properly remove that trim piece under the light fixture was needed to avoid breaking that tab. Once that piece was off, the rest of it was a breeze. I also did not completely remove the grill. Probably would have been easier with it off, but my grill lights are mounted to it and I did not feel like removing them. But, while I had everything loose, i rewired the grill lights and tapped them into the VLand's DRL wiring, so they now come on with the DRL's👍.
Electrical was a breeze, and so far, after 2 days in, everything works fine, no issues at all. Am glad it was a somewhat "easy" install, just hope these guys hold up for a while🤞🙏
Love how they look, totally changed the look of the front end, and even more so the changed look at night...what a difference!
That last photo with all your lights on is absolutely gorgeous!!!😍

MikeyHo808

Ram Guru
Reaction score
I couldn't see where you were from on my mobile device, unless I rotate into portrait mode.

I find it odd that you can have Vland LED lights but you can't add LED's to a halogen fixture, so I looked up Hawaiian headlight laws. All I could see, other than blue or red headlights, is HID lights are prohibited. I couldn't find anything about LED's.
Recent changes to vehicle inspection rules added some new laws, to include LED bulbs in non approved housings. It all boils down to who does your inspection. Because the dealer is doing it, gotta keep it legal at all possible. No biggie…I did not mind the Halogen housings, but my overall intent was to eventually upgrade to LED fixtures because they look so good. Why the hell a $70k truck doesn’t come with them standard is beyond me.

Biggiehorn

Ram Guru
Reaction score
Looks good! I've had mine right around a year now and they're still going strong. If/when these go, I definitely plan to make the switch over to OEM night edition LEDs, but these have held up great so far. I've been pretty impressed with them really. Even more so with these being one of the most budget friendly full LED housing swap options out there for our trucks. Hope they hold up for you as well!

MikeyHo808

Ram Guru
Reaction score
Looks good! I've had mine right around a year now and they're still going strong. If/when these go, I definitely plan to make the switch over to OEM night edition LEDs, but these have held up great so far. I've been pretty impressed with them really. Even more so with these being one of the most budget friendly full LED housing swap options out there for our trucks. Hope they hold up for you as well!
Thank you! Glad to hear that your set is still top shape.
For the price, certainly cannot be beat. I hope they hold up too!

Kewlone2gq

Reaction score
I have been looking at those myself. A question for ya if you don't mind. The pics on the Vland site makes it look like the DRLs turn off when the regular lights turn on. Your pic does show that they are on while the low beams are on, correct? Also, do the sequential turn signals look good? Thanks.

MikeyHo808

Ram Guru
Reaction score
I have been looking at those myself. A question for ya if you don't mind. The pics on the Vland site makes it look like the DRLs turn off when the regular lights turn on. Your pic does show that they are on while the low beams are on, correct? Also, do the sequential turn signals look good? Thanks.
The VLand DRL’s do stay on with low beams. The sequentials are great, love the speed of them. Am pretty happy with them so far.

Biggiehorn

Ram Guru
Reaction score
Once installed, If the DRL's do not stay on when your low beams are activated then check your vehicle headlight settings from the radio. There should be a DRL option listed in there. I cannot remember if that setting is supposed to be turned on or turned off, but I do know that it will correct the DRL/low beam issue if you do run into it. I helped a few others that had the same trouble after installing theirs.

Kewlone2gq

Reaction score
@JBowman I got them all hooked up and they look great. Was wondering if you or anyone that you have helped were able to get the DRLs to be on without the side markers? Thanks.

Attachments

• 20220910_184804.jpg
    20220910_184804.jpg
    165.4 KB · Views: 100

Biggiehorn

Ram Guru
Reaction score
Looks good! And not to my knowledge for the side marker question. I don’t think it’s doable or doable within reason at least. I could be wrong but I haven’t heard of anyone doing that yet.

raygun9

Reaction score
@JBowman I got them all hooked up and they look great. Was wondering if you or anyone that you have helped were able to get the DRLs to be on without the side markers? Thanks.

Did you ever figure this out? I was going to purchase these but don't want the side marker on with the DRL

Kewlone2gq

Reaction score
Did you ever figure this out? I was going to purchase these but don't want the side marker on with the DRL
Not yet. I guess the side markers are tied to the same circuit. I heard of someone splicing the harness, but that is too much hassle for me. Still happy with the purchase with what I paid.

Bookhert90

Reaction score
Hey Mikey, how are these holding up for you?

Bookhert90

Reaction score
Finally took the plunge and got the Vlands! Install wasn't bad at all... Don't have a power ratcheting wrench so my forearms are a bit sore but all in all with patience, planning, and a lil organization the install is a breeze! Thanks to yall for sharing all of your experiences with this, it was a huge help for me!

P.S.: If you're cheap like me and looking to buy these, I'd recommend buying buying them on eBay... I chose the offer option and offered $100 less than asking and ended up getting like $50 off when it was all said and done...
20230211_142433.jpg

Users who are viewing this thread