5thGenRams Forums

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

VLAND LED or Morimoto Led - which, if either, is a better/safer option?

jeffjcalweb

Reaction score
I know the Morimoto name and they have a very clear easy to follow install video (which of course can be followed for VLAND install)... the point being it just gives the Morimoto a bonus point for being more professional.

Anyway moving on... want to do the LED headlight upgrade on my 2020 Big Horn - I've seen several threads with some VLAND feedback but not sure I saw anything about the Morimoto LED headlight.

The plus for VLAND is the price, a bit less than the Morimotos...and that's where I'm looking for some help. I don't want to have to do an install twice because of a faulty headlight or failed light 30 days later - I realize anything can happen just seen a couple posts about VLAND quality maybe lacking.

So, save some bucks and go VLAND? Or splurge and go Morimoto??

This is the Morimoto LED: https://www.headlightrevolution.com/morimoto-xb-hybrid-led-headlights-19-ram-1500?quantity=1

Last edited:

BluegrassMotorsport

Reaction score
Morimoto is an excellent brand with a great reputation. In automotive lighting, you get what you pay for and Morimoto are top dogs. I'd stick with them for the build quality and excellent warranty.

blckout

Reaction score
I did Vland, no problems. Installed by my trusted custom shop, and they said they were smooth install. Very bright and look great
fffd5e8d56607f359de1b6b24b3500be.jpg

jeffjcalweb

Reaction score
So on this same topic, regarldess of the brand, if I do install LED and replace the halogens, do I need to go back to AlphaOBD and change some config? I noticed when doing my vented seat controls and the bed LED install, there are some menu items for LED lights present in different locations. I'm assuming I do go and change those to present/true/yes as appropriate?

jeffjcalweb

Reaction score
Not to muddy the waters more, but Alpharex is another good choice, I'm leaning towards the Alpharex Nova, price is similar to Morimoto. They have less expensive options as well

These are pretty nice ... and sequential turn signal option is much less than the Morimoto sequential turn signals.

Thanks for sharing - I think these just became top of the wish list.

Biggiehorn

Ram Guru
Reaction score
So on this same topic, regarldess of the brand, if I do install LED and replace the halogens, do I need to go back to AlphaOBD and change some config? I noticed when doing my vented seat controls and the bed LED install, there are some menu items for LED lights present in different locations. I'm assuming I do go and change those to present/true/yes as appropriate?
No changes were necessary with AlfaOBD when I swapped from halogen to my VLANDs. Straight plug and play swap. Someone can correct me if I am wrong, but I believe that to be pretty consistent across the board with aftermarket headlight options.

Biggiehorn

Ram Guru
Reaction score
The plus for VLAND is the price, a bit less than the Morimotos...and that's where I'm looking for some help. I don't want to have to do an install twice because of a faulty headlight or failed light 30 days later - I realize anything can happen just seen a couple posts about VLAND quality maybe lacking.
I haven't had any trouble with mine and I'm approaching a year with them, but their quality can be hit or miss. There have been quite a few people left with a bad experience going the VLAND route. With their warranty/customer service group being located overseas, it has proven to be a headache for people trying to do exchanges or refunds. Now with that, I'm still satisfied with my purchase. I really wanted the look of the VLAND DRLs, and was willing to gamble on them to achieve that look. I went into this knowing that if they don't last, I would replace with OEM LED.

In my experience, they have been a solid, very budget friendly option that are considerably brighter than the halogen lights, but if you are hesitant and don't want to chance having to replace prematurely, you're better off going with something higher end.

raygun9

Reaction score
I'm leaning towards the VLAND because of the dual (top and bottom) LED strips for DRLs... moriomoto had them that way on the Gen4s and they were amazing I ran them for almost 8 years... the version they have for the Gen5s doesn't look as cool

My only question on the VLAN is does the yellow side marker say on when its just in DRL mode? Looks like it in your pic @JBowman but if I can shut that off I'd be a happy camper.

Biggiehorn

Ram Guru
Reaction score
My only question on the VLAN is does the yellow side marker say on when it’s just in DRL mode? Looks like it in your pic @JBowman but if I can shut that off I'd be a happy camper.
Yes, the amber side marker lights are activated with the white daytime running lights. Not sure of a workaround for that. I have seen people apply dark tint over it to black it out, and I think that offers a good look, but I believe you can still see the light pass through when they’re on if going that route.

Users who are viewing this thread