5thGenRams Forums

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Visor Teardown

stevj

Reaction score
On a clear day, I can see Seattle from my house.
Visor Teardown.

When I drive long distances, I swing the visor to the left to block glare coming in the side window. I get less fatigued on those all-day drives because I'm not fighting that glare.
Recently, my visor began misbehaving, because a thin plastic piece surrounding the metal pivot elbow had split, allowing the visor an unintended freedom of motion.
I am 600 miles past warranty cutoff, so I have ordered a new visor, which means you all are winners of a dissection pictorial.

My visor has lighted mirror, and sports one of those trendy 3-button Homelink devices. Both the mirror and Homelink modules are "not serviced separately" so, except for replacing the lights for the mirror, if either one is FUBAR, a replacement visor is the only cure. So it goes with the plastic pivot elbow thingy. $120 + tax from the dealer.

Here's the under-engineered plastic piece that started all this. The plastic piece acts to restrain pivot motion (swing) of the visor. As you can see, there's a bit of slop in the action.
1.jpg

This next pic is of the Homelink cover, held with 3 clips and can be removed with a trim tool. The blue thing at top of the picture is a different trim tool I used to split the visor at the seam and wedge my way inside. The grey area that has your attention is what's left after I peeled off that irritating reflective sticker. I will try to remove the residue with some denatured alcohol and if successful, will do the same to the new one. Might try some black Plastidip spray on this broken one, too, just for S&G.
2.jpg

The homelink cover removed. The cover is all you get.
The white part visible through the hole in the visor "cloth" material is the inner support structure between the Homelink module and its cover.
3.jpg

The lighted mirror. This thing is held to the inner structure very securely.
I could not dislodge it, and to remove it without damaging it, I ended up attacking from the inside.
4.jpg

The inside. Here you can see the innards. The circled areas are pairs of clips that hold the mirror assembly. At the bottom is the slider, with the electrical contacts to feed power to the mirror lights and the Homelink.
This picture also gives a good view of the overall construction of the visor.
5.jpg

The mirror is detached. you can see the sets of clips that hold this thing to the visor: centered on left and right end, and three sets on the far side.
Clear tape holds the wires to the white backing piece.
6.jpg

Here's a closeup of the the Homelink module. I intend to repurpose this thing, since it still has life, and my garage door codes, in it.
7.jpg

And finally, here's the visor shell without innards. It's made of a dark, hard styrofoam-like material - fairly stiff even without the metal framework in it.
It's moulded (likely under pressure), covered with that easy-to-get-dirty-and-leave-finger-marks material that so many vehicle manufacturers seem to prefer these days, and is either glued or sonic welded around the metal framework and hardware.
You can see in this picture where the two halves were adhered to each other on 3 sides peripherally, and several spots scattered about the inside.
8.jpg

Well that's it. Hope you found the journey informative.
If you've ever wondered what's inside your visors; now you know.

Steve

Last edited:

mikeru82

Legendary member
Reaction score
Thanks for sacrificing your old visor for this and posting the details Steve. I have always been curious about the Homelink device.

silver64

Ram Guru
Reaction score
I'm glad mine broke while under warranty and they replaced it. There's a lot of crap inside that little visor! Thanks for sharing.

Rambiss

Reaction score
It appears this is becoming more common than just mine. Although under warranty, it's still a PITA to carve out the time needed to take to the dealer. Mine broke in a different place too.

Attachments

• IMG_20200814_075155.jpg
    IMG_20200814_075155.jpg
    209.4 KB · Views: 173

RockYacht2020

Reaction score
This is cool. I want to take apart the Homelink and re-purpose the buttons for auxiliary switches since I don't have a garage. Thanks for sharing!

stevj

Reaction score
Although under warranty, it's still a PITA to carve out the time needed to take to the dealer.

Even if mine was still under warranty, I would have bought the new visor and installed it myself.
Hard to justify being without transportation for a day while my Ram is at a dealership for something that takes less than 5 minutes to replace.

Steve

silver64

Ram Guru
Reaction score
Even if mine was still under warranty, I would have bought the new visor and installed it myself.
Hard to justify being without transportation for a day while my Ram is at a dealership for something that takes less than 5 minutes to replace.

Steve
Your dealer must really suck. When i had mine replaced it them longer to do the paperwork then it did to replace the visor. I dont think I was there more than an hour.

stevj

Reaction score
Your dealer must really suck.

Well, yes. Kinda they do.
Of 2 safety recalls and 2 TSB's, all of which were to correct manufacturing errors and defects, exactly none were performed by this dealership; but by me at home.
When I work on my own vehicles, I'm not fighting the clock to turn a profit, and I know the quality of the work.
I use my local dealership only for parts.

Steve

Last edited:

silver64

Ram Guru
Reaction score
Well, yes. Kinda they do.
Of 2 safety recalls and 2 TSB's, all of which were to correct manufacturing errors and defects, exactly none were performed by this dealership; but by me at home.
When I work on my own vehicles, I'm not fighting the clock to turn a profit, and I know the quality of the work.
I use my local dealership only for parts.

Steve
And probably software updates since the only ones we can do are for Uconnect

11B4X4

Reaction score
My Homelink buttons no longer illuminate and no longer operate. This is after some repair work at collision shop where the headliner and visors were removed and I do not want to bring it back in. Any tips on first things to troubleshoot? I don't see exactly how the visor gets power. Is it that black clip that is in the first picture?

silver64

Ram Guru
Reaction score
My Homelink buttons no longer illuminate and no longer operate. This is after some repair work at collision shop where the headliner and visors were removed and I do not want to bring it back in. Any tips on first things to troubleshoot? I don't see exactly how the visor gets power. Is it that black clip that is in the first picture?
I can only tell you that when my visor broke the only thing keeping it attached was the wiring that goes through swing arm. There has to be a place where its plugged into another cable to make the visor change out easy. I'm guessing its inside the A pillar but that's a guess.

cwmcgowen

Reaction score
It appears this is becoming more common than just mine. Although under warranty, it's still a PITA to carve out the time needed to take to the dealer. Mine broke in a different place too.
Mine broke today on my 2020 Limited, it broke just like yours did! Was a full replacement required?

Raminit

Reaction score
Mine isn’t broken but it falls out of the swing arm socket
When I drive I watch it and smack it back into place every couple of days
If it happens while my wife is driving she’s dead

Users who are viewing this thread