5thGenRams Forums

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Video input with DT tazer on 12” 360 camera equipped vehicles.

2019Ram64

Reaction score
I stand corrected.

It is possible to get the cargo cam input working with the 12” screen equipped with the surround view camera system.

Using a Z-Automotive DT Tazer you can activate the cargo camera input.

On my truck I have the hotspot enabled ( paid for the year)
hdmi to composite conversion adapter.
Fire tv (new Gen (small)
Modified cig lighter to USB adapter ( must be high amp output for fire tv ) dual USB ports 3.6 amp
RCA to 1/8” for audio from hdmi converter to aux input jack on the radio.
Programmed soft key on steering wheel using tazer.
Composite rca with correct pins to insert into radio harness.
RCA male to male barrel adapter. Or if you can get the pins you can use a male rca pinned into the radio. Instead of the female I had already.

Directions
Activate cargo cam input on the radio but leave cam input set at off. **** this is key***. If you activate cam input it will disable 360 cam setup.

Remove head unit and add pins to harness for rca input. Pin 21 signal 22 ground.

My cigarette to usb high amp adapter I removed the terminals and soldered wires to the board instead. Then I tapped on to the dash 12v outlet. Keep in mind that will only work if the outlet is switched power. Those of you who swapped the fuse to have that outlet stay on after ignition is off will need to find an ignition source at the inside fuse box. For that add an “add a fuse circuit “. Also good if you don’t want to tap into factory wires.
This adapter powers both the fire tv box and the hdmi converter box.

I programmed or remapped the + cruise control
Button for reverse camera because if you do not you will have no way to get the radio to come off the cargo cam screen. But by mapping that button when I press it. It activates rear cam press again it bring me to the source screen. That’s for when I want to exit the video screen.

In motion needs to be turned on with the tazer.

So essentially when I turn my vehicle on in 15 seconds or so the hotspot comes on and the fire tv connects. Choose aux on the radio and press the controls key. Then press cargo cam input. Since a fire tv using RF/Bluetooth remotes the line of sight is not required. The picture is surprisingly clear and the picture is larger than using a jailbroken iPhone and car play.

I know there is another adapter available for cam input and I’m not sure how they achieve video in motion but with the tazer it essentially keeps pressing the button for you while in motion keeping the video active. Only downside is you see those buttons blink on the lower section of the screen. This is also why you need to map the key on wheel. Because without the map the only way you can get out of the screen is by putting the car into reverse and then park etc. the exit ( X ) key disappears after a few seconds.

65250779-ADCF-41FC-B51D-4A25FEF491FE.jpeg

Users who are viewing this thread