5thGenRams Forums

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

(VIDEO ADDED) High pitch electronic"pew pew pew" sound right after startup

sessman

Reaction score
Sorry for the odd title...

Purchased a 2019 Ram 1500 Laramie Sport on Sunday. Have about 100 miles on it. Just about every time (if not every time) I start the car I get what I think is some sort of a warning sound and I can't figure out what it is.

The best way I can explain it is 3 high pitch "pew" sounds like when shooting a gun in a 80s Nintendo game (or when kids are pretending to shoot a gun with their fingers).

The sounds is definitely coming from the speakers which makes me think it's supposed to be happening and alerting me of something.

I know I'm going out on a limb here since my description is very vague but hoping it's something obvious I'm overlooking.

Thanks for taking the time to read this.

Stephen

TruckDriver

Ram Guru
Reaction score
The best way I can explain it is 3 high pitch "pew" sounds like when shooting a gun in a 80s Nintendo game (or when kids are pretending to shoot a gun with their fingers).

WTH haha I honestly had no idea what to expect and had my speakers turned up thinking this was a 'faint' sound...

uhhh... I'l confirm, that's not normal.

Some Guesses and things to check:
  • Is there an aftermarket alarm system installed?
  • anything plugged into the OBD port?
  • sure it's the speakers? (ie, check the rear right door speaker, turn the stereo off etc, you could also unplug the amp from beneath the drivers seat temporarily)

Was this from day 1 or did it just occur? If it's truly from the speakers, then it could be solved by either pulling the battery ground for 10min and reinstall or a stereo firmware update to start.

Good luck and post back!

sessman

Reaction score
Just checked and buckled my seat belt then started the car. Noise still happens...

sessman

Reaction score
WTH haha I honestly had no idea what to expect and had my speakers turned up thinking this was a 'faint' sound...

uhhh... I'l confirm, that's not normal.

Some Guesses and things to check:
  • Is there an aftermarket alarm system installed?
  • anything plugged into the OBD port?
  • sure it's the speakers? (ie, check the rear right door speaker, turn the stereo off etc, you could also unplug the amp from beneath the drivers seat temporarily)

Was this from day 1 or did it just occur? If it's truly from the speakers, then it could be solved by either pulling the battery ground for 10min and reinstall or a stereo firmware update to start.

Good luck and post back!
Everything is stock, nothing in the OBD port, not certain it's the speakers but definitely sounds like it is. This didn't occur on day 1 otherwise I would have said something. It may have started day 3 or 4? So odd...should I take it into the closest dealer ASAP?

Maple

Reaction score
Just checked and buckled my seat belt then started the car. Noise still happens...
Do you have something heavy in the passenger seat? Maybe it thinks there's a passenger there that isn't buckled. Otherwise, maybe one of the doors or tailgate is open (you should have lights on the dash for either of those, though).

sessman

Reaction score
Nothing at all on the front or back seats...nothing showing door ajar either...so freakin' weird. Nobody has heard this noise before?

TruckDriver

Ram Guru
Reaction score
Looks like this person on Ram Forumz had the same issue, dont see a resolution though https://www.ramforumz.com/showthread.php?t=257869

Good find on that thread, the one guess in there about dealer antitheft is something I'd consider as well.

I sent your video to a ram tech friend of mine, will reply when I hear back

*Edit*
What I also noticed is your truck chirps 5 times where the other video was 12; wonder if it has something to do with a diagnostic of some kind

sessman

Reaction score
Should be solved, I emailed my sales advisor at the dealership and this is what he replied: "It is part of the security system we install that you declined. I just had my manager deactivate the system. It should stop making the sound by the end of the day if not sooner, You should be all set now."

Maple

Reaction score
So.... They installed something you didn't want that they can control remotely?

Not sure you're done yet.

AndreiV

Reaction score
May be a Dealer GPS trucker under the steering column that pluggen it into OBD port makes noise. Remove 2 screws and lower the panel to see what is behind it.

Attachments

• 0505190907_HDR.jpg
    0505190907_HDR.jpg
    120.9 KB · Views: 65

paul vegas

Reaction score
Is it one of those tracking devices that some dealers put on so if you miss a payment they can track you?

AndreiV

Reaction score
Is it one of those tracking devices that some dealers put on so if you miss a payment they can track you?
Yes, to track there inventory and after sale before bank takes over the loan, as well as to sell it to you as antitheft feature during final sale. Next to my payload sticker I had KARR sticker, which is KARR SWAT GPS tracker. If you have one of those stickers around most likely there is device somewhere.

Attachments

• 0609191022.jpg
    0609191022.jpg
    139.4 KB · Views: 47
  • 0609191022a.jpg
    0609191022a.jpg
    118.3 KB · Views: 48
  • 0609191028_HDR.jpg
    0609191028_HDR.jpg
    154.6 KB · Views: 47
Last edited:

YoAdrian

Staff member
Site Supporter
Reaction score
Yes, to track there inventory and after sale before bank takes over the loan, as well as to sell it to you as antitheft feature during final sale. Next to my payload sticker I had KARR sticker, which is KARR SWAT GPS tracker. If you have one of those stickers around most likely there is device somewhere.
Hey Andre, can you post a pic of that sticker? I just found a different security sticker (StreetSmart) on my tailgate and four doors I never noticed before... on the topic of security and trackers. Doubt if my stickers mean there is a tracker anywhere though. Here’s my sticker.

Attachments

• 9DE79AF2-2F25-44A7-8344-7D7C404B8C8C.jpeg
    9DE79AF2-2F25-44A7-8344-7D7C404B8C8C.jpeg
    217.9 KB · Views: 55

Users who are viewing this thread