5thGenRams Forums

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Vibration in every gear from about 1900 to 2500 rpm - worse under heavier loads and driving uphill.

Pequod

Reaction score
Mine became noticeable sometime in the first week. Took a long trip and found at about 75mph you’re right in the rpm range for the vibration. That’s minimum cruise speed on Interstate 5 north of Los Angeles. Very irritating! Daily driving finds the zone every time the truck leaves a light.
Hey Rogue, I can relate. Had a 66 Powerwagon. Almost enough room to stand in there! Thankful that we no longer do things like adjust points.

DaveM111

Reaction score
Just an update. Same problem. It's worse in the cold weather. Dealer acknowledged the vibrations. This time they say it's the tires. That the compound in the rubber stiffens in the cold. I agree that the tires will harden in the cold, but the vibes are NOT speed specific like tire problems are; this truck has RPM specific vibrations. The truck went to the dealer on the 14th for an appointment @ 9AM on the 15th. Its still there and I am awaiting info/contact from RAM Cares.

• Sad
Reactions: c3k

c3k

Ram Guru
Reaction score
Just an update. Same problem. It's worse in the cold weather. Dealer acknowledged the vibrations. This time they say it's the tires. That the compound in the rubber stiffens in the cold. I agree that the tires will harden in the cold, but the vibes are NOT speed specific like tire problems are; this truck has RPM specific vibrations. The truck went to the dealer on the 14th for an appointment @ 9AM on the 15th. Its still there and I am awaiting info/contact from RAM Cares.
Keep at it. Find out what your state's lemon laws require, maybe call an attorney specializing in these matters.

Don't accept it. If something is wrong, mechanically, then it will end up failing before it normally would. You shouldn't be stuck with that bill, let alone the NVH issues whenever you drive it.

LouNY

Reaction score
I know that you feel it to be an engine rpm related issue.
But it could be as simple as a tight u-joint or front axle u joint.
If you drop the rear drivehaft and just check the u-joints at different angles for tightness you may find one that binds
at certain points also it could be a front drive shaft issue, which can be eliminated easily by removing the front driveshaft
and going for a drive.
Also the flex plate to torque converter bolts could need to be all loosened and re torqued.

DaveM111

Reaction score
I know that you feel it to be an engine rpm related issue.
But it could be as simple as a tight u-joint or front axle u joint.
If you drop the rear drivehaft and just check the u-joints at different angles for tightness you may find one that binds
at certain points also it could be a front drive shaft issue, which can be eliminated easily by removing the front driveshaft
and going for a drive.
Also the flex plate to torque converter bolts could need to be all loosened and re torqued.
I do think it's something other than the engine. There are no vibrations if it's revved in park or neutral. I mentioned the flex plate and drive shift to the dealer back in February and they just blew me off. Personally, I'm not touching a single thing mechanically on this truck. It's expensive as hell and they're either going to fix it or replace it.

Croaker

Reaction score
Two piece drive shaft vibration.

Vibration at low RPM, during acceleration, while under a load…like going uphill or towing.

This is my second truck with this vibration. 1st truck was a Toyota Tacoma. Both trucks had two-piece drive shafts.

Toyota said it was normal. I imagine Ram would say the same.

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread