5thGenRams Forums

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Vibration at certain speed

Kono

Reaction score
My apologies in advance for the length of this post: I have a 26' boat (around 8500 lb) that I've towed for years with a Toyota Tundra. Never had a towing problem. This winter I traded it in for a Ram 2500 6.4L. When I picked up my boat from winter storage I noticed a definite vibration at around 60 mph. I could feel it in my seat and the steering wheel. Since the trailer tires were pretty old, I replaced all four (tandem axles) with new radials and had them balanced. Thought that would solve the problem. Nope. Then I took my Ram to a tire shop and had them check all 4 tires for balance. The rears were off a little. I thought that would solve the problem. Nope. I went to a trailer shop and they said I should have my tongue weight checked (for $160). That didn't make sense to me since I never had problems with the Tundra, which didn't have the towing capacity as my new Ram. I do know that the Tundra had leaf rear springs while the Ram has coils. I've played around adjusting the height of the hitch. No change. At present the trailer is nearly dead level while hooked up to my Ram. I've checked the drop in the Ram with and without the trailer attached. It drops around 1 1/4". The front rises maybe an inch. Not significant as far as I can tell. I'm stumped. Nothing's changed with the boat/trailer in the past 14 years, except new tires. The only thing new is the Ram. It seems to tow fine up until around 57 - 60 mph. Slower or faster than that is fine. One more thing; I don't have any vibration with the truck when I'm not pulling the boat, regardless of speed. Any suggestions? Thanks!

theblet

Legendary member
Reaction score
What year? Do you still have warranty?

theblet

Legendary member
Reaction score
I gotcha. You should have warranty left? I would make an appointment with the dealer and take the service tech for a ride to show them whats it doing. You could also try and pull someone else’s boat just to make sure it’s not the trailer axles, bearings, etc

Kono

Reaction score
I gotcha. You should have warranty left? I would make an appointment with the dealer and take the service tech for a ride to show them whats it doing. You could also try and pull someone else’s boat just to make sure it’s not the trailer axles, bearings, etc
Thanks for the idea.

Hydroblueguy

Ram Guru
Reaction score
My apologies in advance for the length of this post: I have a 26' boat (around 8500 lb) that I've towed for years with a Toyota Tundra. Never had a towing problem. This winter I traded it in for a Ram 2500 6.4L. When I picked up my boat from winter storage I noticed a definite vibration at around 60 mph. I could feel it in my seat and the steering wheel. Since the trailer tires were pretty old, I replaced all four (tandem axles) with new radials and had them balanced. Thought that would solve the problem. Nope. Then I took my Ram to a tire shop and had them check all 4 tires for balance. The rears were off a little. I thought that would solve the problem. Nope. I went to a trailer shop and they said I should have my tongue weight checked (for $160). That didn't make sense to me since I never had problems with the Tundra, which didn't have the towing capacity as my new Ram. I do know that the Tundra had leaf rear springs while the Ram has coils. I've played around adjusting the height of the hitch. No change. At present the trailer is nearly dead level while hooked up to my Ram. I've checked the drop in the Ram with and without the trailer attached. It drops around 1 1/4". The front rises maybe an inch. Not significant as far as I can tell. I'm stumped. Nothing's changed with the boat/trailer in the past 14 years, except new tires. The only thing new is the Ram. It seems to tow fine up until around 57 - 60 mph. Slower or faster than that is fine. One more thing; I don't have any vibration with the truck when I'm not pulling the boat, regardless of speed. Any suggestions? Thanks!
The vibrations were so bad from day one on my 19 Laramie and not one of the tires would stay balanced. 250 miles after having them balanced, all 4 were out of balance again, 7 times in 8600 miles! 3 different dealers, many new parts. I was told every part that could cause a vibration was replaced! Guess what it still had a vibration and they refused to even balance tires again! I told them they would be hearing from my lawyer, a week later they bought it back, lemon law! Now I have a 21 Laramie with unresolved electrical issues😩 good luck with your vibrations, I can tell you, mine had nothing to do with pulling a trailer!

fishslayer

Reaction score
If it only vibrates while towing your trailer , and tires are new and balanced, I suspect a bad wheel bearing on trailer

Kono

Reaction score
If it only vibrates while towing your trailer , and tires are new and balanced, I suspect a bad wheel bearing on trailer
Yup, only happens when towing my trailer, but only happens around 57-60 mph. Truck tires are new and balances (twice).

fishslayer

Reaction score
Check or have someone check your trailer wheel bearings for damage or too much slack. Also, if you can have someone follow behind you to see if trailer is tracking straight and /or if there is any visible wobble in either wheel. a slightly bent axle could be at fault to..

Users who are viewing this thread