5thGenRams Forums

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Vibration at 1500-2000 RPM

relaytech

Reaction score
you're gonna drive your self nuts chasing vibration issues! My truck vibrates time to time, varies, depending on its mood! LOL Mine appears to go away after its warmed up and tires are warmed up. the road you drive on can have a great effect on vibrations as well.
I am 62 years old and have been doing mechanical/electrical work my whole life and believe me this is not normal. Nothing to do with the road, tires. I have a 2013 and it is smooth. this is in the drive train and i refuse to accept it, I I shoudnt have to accept as normal in a $50000 truck.. I am not done. I have lemon lawed one before and am very familiar with the process.

U

User_3336

I am 62 years old and have been doing mechanical/electrical work my whole life and believe me this is not normal. Nothing to do with the road, tires. I have a 2013 and it is smooth. this is in the drive train and i refuse to accept it, I I shoudnt have to accept as normal in a $50000 truck.. I am not done. I have lemon lawed one before and am very familiar with the process.
Good luck! :)

liq001

Reaction score
I am also considering lemon law my truck if my dealer can’t fix it and keep saying it’s normal. It’s not normal. I never had a car, suv, truck did the samething.

azconvert

Reaction score
One week into my new 2022 and I also feel the same vibrations in the wheel and pedal. OP describes it fine. The vibrations do not feel normal and they stand out enough that we notice them. I'm new to ram but it seems like it is common enough that ram and/or dealers should already know what it is. This isn't just some odd blinker behavior... this is something we FEEL and it is annoying as it rings the "something isn't right" bell in the head every time we drive. I haven't yet tried pinpointing since I'm new to ram, but I will try some of the things I read in this thread and try pinpointing. Thank you all for sharing.

liq001

Reaction score
One week into my new 2022 and I also feel the same vibrations in the wheel and pedal. OP describes it fine. The vibrations do not feel normal and they stand out enough that we notice them. I'm new to ram but it seems like it is common enough that ram and/or dealers should already know what it is. This isn't just some odd blinker behavior... this is something we FEEL and it is annoying as it rings the "something isn't right" bell in the head every time we drive. I haven't yet tried pinpointing since I'm new to ram, but I will try some of the things I read in this thread and try pinpointing. Thank you all for sharing.
please let me know if you can pinpointing anything. Thanks

TheDarkNight

Reaction score
I have a ‘22 limited that drove beautifully off the lot, had the battery die on me 4 days later. They replaced it and ever since I’ve been having vibration issues that happens 20-30mph as well as highway speeds. I also notice a slight humming noise coming from the rear at lower speeds. It’s getting worse the more I drive it. Drove it from NJ to visit my in laws in FL, miserable ride. Leaving to head back north this week, not looking forward to it. Has anyone had any luck figuring out the cause? I’ve been trying to pinpoint it, thinking it could be lane sense (it isn’t) battery voltage dropping (not it either). Running out of ideas as to what it could be.

Edit: Put about 400 miles on it before I had the battery issue and it being replaced. The truck rides on smooth roads like their patched up roads. I can’t seem to pinpoint the issue. Thought it might be battery/power related but doesn’t seem to connect to voltage. Sorry for the regurgitation of thoughts but this has been driving me crazy for 2 months. Bringing it to the dealership (3rd time in 2 months) the week I get back, but I’m trying to show up prepared with info for them to take me seriously. This is my first Ram and between how beautiful this vehicle is and how I KNOW it drove the first few days I had it, I cannot accept this being normal in a $75k vehicle

@liq001 @azconvert @dxdx

Last edited:

Regilliwret

Reaction score
I have a ‘22 limited that drove beautifully off the lot, had the battery die on me 4 days later. They replaced it and ever since I’ve been having vibration issues that happens 20-30mph as well as highway speeds. I also notice a slight humming noise coming from the rear at lower speeds. It’s getting worse the more I drive it. Drove it from NJ to visit my in laws in FL, miserable ride. Leaving to head back north this week, not looking forward to it. Has anyone had any luck figuring out the cause? I’ve been trying to pinpoint it, thinking it could be lane sense (it isn’t) battery voltage dropping (not it either). Running out of ideas as to what it could be.

No luck with my 2K vibration spike. Had 3 mechanics check it out, none thought it was a cause for concern so I’m dealing with it until it gets worse.

For the humming come from the rear, might be worth having your tires balanced. All the new ones I drove had something likely that and it was only really noticeable at 55mph and up. Looked it up online, people were saying their tires were pretty unbalanced from the factory and having them all balanced fixed it.

I’m having other issues that’s making rethink RAM. I got my 2019 Laramie 5 months ago, had 20K miles and looked and drove great. Since then I’ve had

Motor in passenger mirror give out (covered under warranty)

Touch screen replaced due to heavy image ghosting (covered under warranty)

Rear brake parts replaced due to horrible brake moan (covered under warranty thanks to a TSB for it).

External molding coming off at the top of the rear door on the drivers side (covered under warranty but they’ve yet to receive a replacement part that fit due to pathetic quality control)

The plastic, chrome looking piece in my external driver door handle is coming off. Taped it for now and will have the dealer look at it.

I’m out of the comprehensive warranty now, thankfully I got an extended third party warranty bc what seemed like a well built truck is just having one issue after another (albeit most have been cosmetic). Problem is that until they get trained, good quality control people hired again, and this parts shortage ends, idk if switching to a new truck of any brand is going to be much better… although I’m considering getting a used F-150 if stuff keeps falling off or failing at the rate they currently are bc the truck cost too damn much for this subpar quality.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

azconvert

Reaction score
I haven't had dealer check it out yet... I took it in, but they didn't have time - manager didn't actually book the appointment like he was supposed to. Yea... :/

What I did try though is getting to a point where I'd feel the vibration and then switch to neutral and coast and the vibration was still there - noting also that the same vibration is felt on the shifter as well. It also seems to be fading or maybe I'm getting more use to it... I dunno... I'm just shy of 500miles so far.

Currently, my suspicion is that it's the tires. I will be getting a new set of wheels and tires soon, so I'll see if that changes anything.

Reaction score
Any update on this?
22 ram limited with 2500 miles on it. Same vibration in pedal and steering wheel. Thanks.

Sent from my SM-G998U using Tapatalk

jimk hunt

Reaction score
Generally speaking... if you feel the vibration in the steering wheel, it's coming from the front end vs the rear. Remember that the tire, wheel and hub parts all have tolerances. Put them all together and you can have tolerance stacking resulting in a vibration. This can come and go based on speed. I would suggest taking your truck to a high performance independent shop. It will cost you some money but if they can chase and fix issues on a $100k Porsche, they can likely fix your issue as well.

Beasley99

Reaction score
Hello guys. I just got my 2022 ram 1500 limited with 3.92 rear end and hemi with etourqe. I only put 80 miles on it. The truck is nice in and out, but the only concern is the slightly vibration from the gas pedal, floor and steering wheel. Ift is more noticable at 4WD auto. It is slightly better if I use 2WD. It feels like putting a vibrating phone under your foot. Is this normal for this truck? Thanks for help. It’s very annoying.

best
Lee
Hey did you ever figure out what the issue was my truck is doing the same thing

rrjjpp74

Reaction score
Mine has been doing the same thing recently. I put it on my friends rack over the weekend and noticed alot of resistance when trying to spin the front tires while it is in 2wd by hand. Passenger side would spin but the drivers side would hang up and try to spin the front driveshaft, you could tell there was a certain spot that it was hanging up on. I engaged/disengaged 4wd and could hear the motor even disengaging but it would still bind up some. So I called my local dealer explained to them what is going on and I am dropping my truck off for them to look it over. It may be a week or 2 before they can look at it but I will keep you all posted.

Louhound88

Reaction score
One thing I've noticed is that between 30 to 40mph I have my loudest tire hum. It's almost like a resonant hum of the truck itself and not strictly a tire hum. Open window driving at these speeds and it's not as bad, though it's hard to tell if it's due to wind noise added in or less pressure in the cab to cause it. I can open the rear sliding window and have it lesson too.

Rotating tires doesn't seem to change anything. Regardless of which tire I have on my front driver side thats where the majority of the hum comes from. I've honestly never been a passenger in my own truck so I don't even know if it stays with my left ear as a passenger or if it'd move with me.

Overall I don't find my tires that loud, but it distinctly feels/sounds like the truck is humming. Resonant frequency of the cab itself. Naturally the parts you're touching at that time will also have the vibration. Pedal and steering. or knobs, shifter, etc.

rrjjpp74

Reaction score
So they are blaming my 3.5 SST lift and saying it is causing the problem. I asked them how after having that on for over 30K + miles is this all of a sudden a problem? And they still haven't pin pointed what the exact issue is.

ABarton

Reaction score
One thing I've noticed is that between 30 to 40mph I have my loudest tire hum. It's almost like a resonant hum of the truck itself and not strictly a tire hum. Open window driving at these speeds and it's not as bad, though it's hard to tell if it's due to wind noise added in or less pressure in the cab to cause it. I can open the rear sliding window and have it lesson too.

Rotating tires doesn't seem to change anything. Regardless of which tire I have on my front driver side thats where the majority of the hum comes from. I've honestly never been a passenger in my own truck so I don't even know if it stays with my left ear as a passenger or if it'd move with me.

Overall I don't find my tires that loud, but it distinctly feels/sounds like the truck is humming. Resonant frequency of the cab itself. Naturally the parts you're touching at that time will also have the vibration. Pedal and steering. or knobs, shifter, etc.
Pretty sure my truck suffered from the same issue until last week. It drove me crazy for over a year and at first the dealer was no help. Finally, I got paired with a service rep and technician that agreed that the vibration and road noise was not normal. They were able to trace this back to the front wheel bearings. They used a stethoscope to check the bearings and found the issue. Visually, the bearings did not appear to have any defects or damage and there was no play in the wheels to indicate that they were failing. Nevertheless, something had gone wrong, or they were just from a bad batch because the foot pedal, steering wheel, and floorboard vibration was significant in my opinion. It's hard to explain the noise and vibration, not sure vibration is even the right description, but if you have the same issue, I think this will make sense. After replacing the bearings, the truck is back to a showroom ride. I had already decided that if they couldn't find the issue and claimed the behavior was normal again, I was going to sell the truck and move on to another brand. It was driving me nuts and it was no longer the truck I had purchased or would purchase. Hope this helps

ABarton

Reaction score
Any update on this?
22 ram limited with 2500 miles on it. Same vibration in pedal and steering wheel. Thanks.

Sent from my SM-G998U using Tapatalk
Pretty sure my truck suffered from the same issue until last week. It drove me crazy for over a year and at first the dealer was no help. Finally, I got paired with a service rep and technician that agreed that the vibration and road noise was not normal. They were able to trace this back to the front wheel bearings. They used a stethoscope to check the bearings and found the issue. Visually, the bearings did not appear to have any defects or damage and there was no play in the wheels to indicate that they were failing. Nevertheless, something had gone wrong, or they were just from a bad batch because the foot pedal, steering wheel, and floorboard vibration was significant in my opinion. It's hard to explain the noise and vibration, not sure vibration is even the right description, but if you have the same issue, I think this will make sense. After replacing the bearings, the truck is back to a showroom ride. I had already decided that if they couldn't find the issue and claimed the behavior was normal again, I was going to sell the truck and move on to another brand. It was driving me nuts and it was no longer the truck I had purchased or would purchase. Hope this helps

Cbty2050

Ram Guru
Reaction score
So odd that these dealers have a pico scope with a NVH analyzer and can't figure anything out. I have a NVH analyzer on my phone that works great.

Atlec

Reaction score
I'm gonna resurrect an old thread here. I feel like I've been having the same issue on my 20 RAM 5.7 Hemi, non-etorque pretty much since new. I had it at the dealer at 6500 miles and they "couldn't reproduce it" Well I'm getting close to 60k miles now, noise is still present, but pretty much unchanged since it was new.

I agree it's not a simple "vibration" as it's a much higher frequency then tires out of balance, very similar to a cell phone buzzing. However, it occured to me that it's identical to the drone/buzz/vibration you will feel if you are driving a manual and accidently put it in a gear too low and then try to accelerate. So it's almost like the transmission shift points are just slightly off. Seems like could be fixed with a software update, but just conjecture on my part.

So anyone figure out a fix?

Badlilhemi

Reaction score
I just bought a 2024 Rebel 3.92 gears... SAME feeling... its almost like a fast buzz in the gas pedal/steering I mostly feel taking off or lower RPM's... on highway its barely there.. I thought it was just the aggressive tires but its not. It's some sort of Harmonic. There are older threads of people fighthing to fix this. One guy said he used silicone on the floorboard area.. Some played with deadener and put rubber hose around the steering column to give the harmonic a place to go or end... its annoying... the 2004 Hemi I had did something stupid at idle and I was the one that figured out the fix and many others started doing the same... It's the only thing I hate about the truck.. so stupid to make this normal.. This is NOT a wheel problem.. or a tire problem.. There is a thread where one guy was hanging weights off his exhaust and getting it to calm down.. if sitting still you can rev and feel it right at 2krpm.. but its much more aparent while moving.. wich is when the motor is more under load then. I believe this is nothing bad just a harmonic that is annoying that we can likely resolve if we try to send the harmonic in a different direction away from the gas pedal and steering wheel.

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread