5thGenRams Forums

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Viair On board air

i_squared_r

Reaction score
Hi. I just traded my 2020 Tacoma for a 2020 RAM 1500 Laramie. I took the Viair onboard air system from my Tacoma and I'm looking to install it on the RAM. My Tacoma had a fancy set up that required modifying everything.. I'm looking to keep this simple. I haven't really looked at the truck, but I'm thinking that I can bolt the 2.5 gallon air tank and compressor to the frame. I have a 90 degree bracket that the compressor can be installed upright if bolted to the frame.

I tried searching the forum, but I haven't found anyone who installed this 2.5 gallon air tank. I've seen people install the compressors in the RAM bin, but I prefer to keep that storage and put the compressor outside. Has anyone done this before?

Malodave

Ram Guru
Reaction score
I had a Viair system on my 2008 Big Horn. It took 23minutes to fill my 9Gal tank to 200PSI. I then converted a York 210 AC Compressor
from a '73 Mecedes as an engine driven air Compressor. It would do the same in 3 minutes at idle!

I picked up the York at a U-Pick auto parts place from a '73 Mercedes and paid
$37 for it. Yorks were found on many '75-'85 vehicles. You can also find them
on Ebay, but at a much higher price. Bought the hybrid Alternator pulley online.
I designed the brackets and had them cut out by a 1400 Watt Laser.

I will be moving the Nathan Airchime K5LA horns from the 2008 to my 2021 1500 Laramie EcoDiesel. I have a Sanden compressor
to use for the EcoDiesel. I have to design the Brackets to mount it to the engine. then Find a place for an Airtank.

Malodave

Attachments

• 2021RAMLaramie-LEER-122_1.jpg
    2021RAMLaramie-LEER-122_1.jpg
    116.8 KB · Views: 65
  • NathanAirchimeK5LA.jpg
    NathanAirchimeK5LA.jpg
    104.3 KB · Views: 65
  • RAM-YorkMount3 - Copy.jpg
    RAM-YorkMount3 - Copy.jpg
    99.8 KB · Views: 67
  • RAM-YorkMount4.jpg
    RAM-YorkMount4.jpg
    109.7 KB · Views: 60
  • RAM-YorkMount5.jpg
    RAM-YorkMount5.jpg
    95.7 KB · Views: 57
  • RAM-YorkMount1.jpg
    RAM-YorkMount1.jpg
    68.2 KB · Views: 54
  • RAM-YorkMount2.jpg
    RAM-YorkMount2.jpg
    66.3 KB · Views: 54

i_squared_r

Reaction score
Its the first time I saw those belt compressors. Very cool. But I'm going to save money and use my existing Viair system because all I do is fill tires. My Tacoma had airbags, but I don't think the RAM needs it for my boat.

I'm working on making my OBA as a portable system and not make a lot of permanent modifications like I did to my Tacoma. I put a fuse panel behind the tail light and I'm going to run a 40amp service to the back. Then put a panel on the OEM bed light location for a 20a 2-wire plug for my fridge and a 30a 3-wire plug for the OBA. The 3rd wire is for future use if I want to get switched 12v from the cab. I'm keeping it simple for now.

IMG_7333.jpg

i_squared_r

Reaction score
This is what I ended up doing:

Viair medium duty OBA on a piece of plywood
40amp circuit breaker to fuse panel behind driver side tail light
1x 10amp circuit for 12v socket (I plug my fridge here)
1x 30amp circuit for air compressor
1x 10amp circuit for future LED bed lights
left a pigtail coming out of OEM bed light location. compressor attaches with 3-wire MT60 connector. so the compressor can be easily removed
3-wire because 12V, GND, and keyed 12V to relay. I put a on/off switch under the dashboard

IMG_7373.jpg IMG_7374.jpg View recent photos (2).jpg

Users who are viewing this thread