5thGenRams Forums

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Very Slight Vibration in 4WD Modes - '23 Laramie

MNiceguy

Reaction score
I just picked up a '23 Laramie Night Edition and I'm currently in the phase where I'm a little paranoid about my new baby. I previously owned a '19 Laramie but then made a mistake and wandered over to a GM.

I engaged 4WD Auto for the first time on the new truck a few nights back due to snowfall here in MN. Once engaged, I can feel a very slight hum/buzz/resonance in the steering wheel and go pedal. I did search the forum and found some threads where the truck was shaking (akin to severe tire imbalance) or bucking. Mine is NOT doing any of that. What I'm experiencing is very slight - not unlike the subtle vibration when MDS activates. I feel it most at low, sub-2K RPM.

I did hit some slick spots where the front end almost certainly locked in which made the feeling I describe slightly more apparent. If I switch back to 2WD then everything is smooth as glass no matter what I'm doing. No warnings or lights on the dash.

I can't remember if my '19 did this (got rid of it prior to the onset of this winter). I had a '94 Chevy that groaned and growled in 4WD but that truck was 'well and liberally used' so I never gave it another thought.

Is this normal or something to worry about?

HemiDude

Spends too much time on here
Reaction score
Does that issue go away or change if you switch into 4wd hi? It may just be the clutches in the auto setup

MNiceguy

Reaction score
Does that issue go away or change if you switch into 4wd hi? It may just be the clutches in the auto setup
I've only used 4HI briefly but I recall the vibration was slightly more severe. I drove around a '20 Hemi/eTorque with about 20K on the clock and I could feel the same vibrations in 4WD Auto and 4HI. The sample size is small but either both trucks are fine or both have something going on.

Also, Now that I have some miles on the clock I took to the highway. At 72mph I get a slight vibration/hum even in 2WD. To my ears, it sounds like something is resonating. The sound is slight, higher in pitch, and only occurs during a VERY specific and very narrow RPM range.

My previous 2019 RAM was pretty darn smooth. I don't remember any odd feelings or noises. The old one lacked two things though that might be relevant: eTorque and 22" wheels (previous truck was 20"). In fact, my new RAM is the first time I've ever experienced eTorque so I have absolutely no idea what to expect nor am I aware of any odd characteristics of having it. Could this just be the ET system doing its thing?

Wheel size does impact things. I've driven on 22's and then went to 20's on the same vehicle and larger wheels were definitely harsher and a touch more jumpy on the really rough stuff. I'm just not sure it applies here.

HemiDude

Spends too much time on here
Reaction score
I also have a Laramie night edition with the etorque, and I haven’t experienced what you are describing. I have a set of 20 inch wheels with larger tires that I put on it in the winter, and if anything, those tires have somewhat of a vibration, but I expect it with that style of tire. I haven’t had issues with the factory 22 inch tires. it seems like if you’re having an issue in 2WD also, you should definitely have the dealer check that out

HARDWATERFLYER

Reaction score
Minnesota 2023 Laramie Night Edition with ORP and Wildpeak OEM tires. I also felt vibration in 4WD auto when new Jan 11 2023. I now have 3000 miles and have driven in 4WD auto alot especially last week and I notice nothing now. Vibration when new seemed to happening when slowing down to turn. Things seem as normal as the my previous 2020 Laramie Night Edition. 2020 was 5.7.E-Torque also.

Users who are viewing this thread